Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default 2 Questions about Influenza

So basically everyone in my school has picked up the respiratory flu. The symptoms that i have seen are a horrible cough, sore throat, and fever. Recently i have picked up something that might be the flu or it could just be a cold. I have a sore throat headache and some mucus, maybe a slight fever. However i have also been feeling extremely nauseous and i have read many sites that say that influenza can cause v* and d*. Is this true? Have any of you experienced that? Also how can that be if the virus affects the respiratory system? Also i was thinking about taking Pepto Bismol for my nausea but on the package it says not to take it if you have flu like symptoms because youre at risk for Reye's syndrome. Do you think i could still take it? Any advice would be super helpful. Thanks.

Default Re: 2 Questions about Influenza

How old are you? Reyes syndrome I believe affects more children. If you are under 18, you want to be cautious. Pepto has some of the same chemicals as aspirin.

Most do not v.. with the flu. The flu is usually accompanied by horrendous body aches. If you feel like you have been hit by a truck it may be the flu. Otherwise it is prob a cold.

Feel better soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I am 17 so thats why im not sure if i should take it. And i dont feel absolutely terrible so it may not be the flu. What's scary is that the worst part is my nausea (today and all day yesterday) but i guess that could be mental. I just want to know why someone would v* with the flu it just doesnt make sense to me.

Some people v.. at the drop of a hat for any reason. Some just v.. really easily. Some v.. when they have a fever. Usually adults do not v.. with the flu.

It is probably post nasal drip making you iffy. Sudafed or Mucinex is good for that. Netti pot works good (use bottled water). I find that colds and post drip is better if I have a little something on my tummy such as toast or crackers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Okay thank you. I ate a waffle and it actually made it worse :/ im nervous cuz (if you read my other post) a girl v* in a place where i was so half of me is thinking that this nausea is from a sv thanks for the advice tho ill try eating light for today

Anxiety can play with your mind. It does not sound like the sv to me. I usually loose my appetite with a cold. I just find that if my tummy is totally empty I feel worse. Hugs.

Kick emets a....

i has influenza last week and had D* on days 4 and 5 of the illness. I felt n* but i didnt v* as i think with flu you can control it especially if you are emet.

What were your other symptoms? And what do you think causes the d*?

The reason we vomit isnt primarily because we have a virus, it is immune systems response to a virus. When people have influenza it makes them feel that ill that their brain can mistake signals of the respiratory illness with that of a gastrointestinal illness and cause nausea and vomiting. This is very rare in adults due to their immune system response, however it is unbelievably rare in an emetophobic, generally because emetophobics can suppress the vomiting reflex in their mind. That is also the reason few emetophobics vomit.

My whole family had "the flu" which is supposed to be the bad one for the last two weeks. None of us had d. Only one of us v*ed and she is my v*er. She v*ed with fever and later with dehydration. Dehydration can also play havoc on the gastrol system. Be sure to get plenty to eat and drink while you are ill. I know with a clogged nose, your sense of taste is probably not so great, but at least try to eat some chicken soup. What you are feeling could be related to being dehydrated.

Thats very interesting ditchy john i didnt know that thanks for clearing it up. And was the one who v* a young child? Cuz i know its likely to happen with younger children. Just for an update: my fever went up and i got the chills but its only at a 100.5 which is still considered low grade. I ate lunch and i felt really good after eating but about an hour later (right now) i started to feel really nauseous again :/ im worried cuz my other symptoms arent even that bad - very little mucus and a slight sore throat. Im really hoping its not a sv :/ im trying to drink as much as i can but i feel so sick :/ anyways thanks for the advice im trying to rest it off

yes, she's 9.

If you feel hesitant to take Pepto, u could get yourself some Rolaids or Tums..they pretty much do the same job As for the v'ing with the Flu, itsw usually b/c those individuals cannot handle the nausea feeling that sometimes goes along with the flu. Also, since the flu causes you to have less of an appetite, nausea can come from hunger. D* can occur due to a high fever, dehydration, and post nasal drip. The nasty mucus that drains down the back of your throat makes its way to your stomach and just causes an EW feeling. There's no true reason the FLU should make a person V* =)) Sorry u dont feel good. I have had flu like symptoms for the past week now. Feels more like bronchitis. Im finally starting to get better though, slowly but surely! Hope u feel better soon! Eat if u can. And stay hydrated. WATER WATER WATER!!

Thank you my nausea goes on and off but my appetite is slowly returning my nausea gets worse when my fever rises :/ i always have fevers for a lonnng time so im not too happy about this :/ im trying not to take ibprofen because i heard its better to let the fever ride itself out (unless its over 103) anways thanks so much for your support ill keep you guys posted

Tylenol is better for fevers than ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is better with body aches due to being an anti inflammatory (it can help bring down a fever though). I have heard the fever theory before. I am not sure if there is any truth behind it or not. Feel better soon.

Kick emets a....