Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Are we on the same page?

Greeting everyone,

I read a little about emetophobia, but I'm not very sure if I'm having it or I have something els. I'm suffering from it for about 16 years. I'll explain what I'm facing in detail as much as I can so any expert could tell me if I have emetophobia so I can proceed the conquer and suggested techniques or search again to know what exactly I have to cope with it correctly.

I read that a emetophobic suffers from panic attack symptoms which include heart beating, sweeting, difficulty in breathing and trembling. I have some of those which are heart beating, sweeting, difficulty in breathing, but I don't tremble. My knees don't shake, but i have terrible feeing in my stomach.
    However, I don't care about the food cleanliness. I'm not obsessive about washing my hands. In a matter of fact I don't wash my hands and I don't care about germs.
    Moreover, the things that most emetophobic afraid from, as I read, is they are going to lose control, faint, feel they are in danger, die, or going crazy. I don't have those thoughts either.
    What I'm suffering from is the vomiting pain and the thoughts come with it (when I'm a lone). I don't want to humiliate my self, being disgusting or annoying other people when I'm with people I know or I don't.
    I'll make it easy for you to understand what I'm facing, if someone bring a black plastic bag and ask you to look inside, when you did, you saw a human pieces cut aggressively. What will any normal person do? YES, they vomit without a second thought. That what happens to me when I face a situation very far from bing scary or in danger. Recently, if I'm in the middle of normal conversation, those anxiety thoughts pop up in my head and eventually I vomit or run away from this situation. Then I may vomit or may not.

I hope I made my self clear.

So, do you think I have emetophobia or it is some thing els or you need more information?

Advice me please. I didn't go to the work for 5 weeks because I don't want to talk or listen to any one which could lead to vomiting or avoiding situation. I wished to die several time just to get rid of this distressful feeling.

Please feel free to give me any further advice I may need to get conquer from it. I downloaded the emetophobia recovery system and I don't know from where or how to start.

Best regards,

Wael

Default Re: Are we on the same page?

Welcome to this forum Wael. You don't have to suffer from all those symptoms to be emetophobic. Emetophobia is when your fear of vomiting gets so intense that your life changes because of it. I don't care about food cleanliness or washing hands. I do wash hands after I use the toilet and before I eat and that's all.

What we need to know is how you live with the fear. You sound pretty emet to me, don't going to work for 5 weeks. You can PM me if you need more information about anything related to emetophobia.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You sound like an emet to me, but I am not a medical professional. Some here have OCD and become germaphobes. Some do not.

It sounds like you are having an unnatural reaction to v... that is ruling and affecting your life.

Each person is different. Panic attacks can vary between people. Some have a worse case of this phobia.

Welcome. I am an emet that fear others v....

Kick emets a....

I'm glad you reply. Thank you.

However, I don't know what you mean by PM. Is privet message? One thing I want to add which I just knew which is who has fears from vomiting usually don't vomit, but I do. Is that changing anything?

I can't write PM to you yet for forum policy. It says I have to write 10 posts to be able to do that

Thank you Cynna. I wish you get rid from it for good very soon.

Emetophobia is irrational fear of vomiting. If you're afraid to vomit, no matter why you're afraid of it, you are emet. The rest (excessive handwashing, fear of germs, anxiety disorders) are accessory to emetophobia. They may be present in some people, not in others. Just like Cynna said, if it affects your life it probably is at the "phobia" level. The way you react to stressful situations is uncommon in emets, as they will usually be very good at avoiding letting themselves v*. You should look into getting professional help from either a therapist or a psychiatrist to address the cause of your physical symptoms.

Thank you AoD for clarifying it. Now I know we are almost on the same page, but I need special treatment for my situation. Unfortunately, I saw a lot of psychiatrist, but they never listen well. I think it is impossible to find a good one where I live.

Wish me luck.