Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Grape Juice?

Default Grape Juice?

I just stumbled across the grape juice theory for norovirus, as well as the grape seed extract theory. Not saying I'm all in on both of them, but they can't hurt, and some of the evidence sounds like it increases your chances of not throwing up. Sounds good in my book.

So my question...does it have to be Welch's grape juice? I went to Costco today and they didn't have Welch's, but they had some Newman brand or something (the Kirkland Costco brand), but it is 100% concord grape juice. I bought some since I'm thinking Welch's doesn't do anything special to their juice. Its just grapes. So is the Costco brand OK as long as its 100% concord grape juice?

Thanks!

Default Re: Grape Juice?

I'd assume so, if it has similar ingredients it should do the same job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, same stuff. A concord grape is a concord grape (ok, that's not 100% true... there's a lot of differences in sugar content and acidity due to where the grapes grow, soil and weather etc...), but for all practical purposes they'll have roughly the same active ingredients so it's fine to buy the Costco juice.

Excellent, thanks for the info guys!

Can you get this stuff in Australia? Does it taste any good also? Not that I care really, but still.

I really like grape juice, I think it tastes pretty good! Then again I'm also the type who likes cranberry juice and apple cider vinegar (separately, obviously), so..I might not be a great reference for "stuff normal people like".

Hi guys,

What is a concord grape?

It's a subspecies of grapes. They've got a pretty strong taste and they're the ones used to make jelly.

Jelly in Canada = Jam in the UK and we don't have grape flavoured jam here... good job I live with a canadian

The grapes we have in the fruit section are not concord grapes unfortunately, but you can buy Welch's grape juice in Tesco, it's isn't usually in the fridges though - it's with the fruit juice cartons. Tesco do their own version of grape juice but it's not concord grapes they use.

Welch's has a very distinct taste and not one we're overly familiar with here but it is very nice especially after a few glasses. I've been through 2litres over the past week or so and now start to crave it!

Thanks Jotini and AoD,

Jotini- I bought grapeseed extract from Holland & Barrett in the past- do you think that would be from concord grapes?

I also asked for grape juice from the supermarket tonight so that's ashame it's not concord! will try Welch's! I just looked up Welch's website and there are lots of different juices- is it the purple grape juice that's effective?

Also is there a paper that shows that Concord grapes work but not other varieties?
    Last edited by emet-ana; 01-23-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Does pure red grape juice not work then?

If someone could prove that grape juice does kill noro, I`d drink it by the gallon, for now I just take probiotics.

I've drank a carton of pure red grape juice this avo after being exposed. Am reasonably certain if I get dia now it'll be because of that not the bug :-) Stupid really!!

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    If someone could prove that grape juice does kill noro, I`d drink it by the gallon, for now I just take probiotics.
    Do probiotics work for viruses? I thought they were to promote certain types of bacteria not viruses?

Quote Originally Posted by jotini View Post
    Jelly in Canada = Jam in the UK and we don't have grape flavoured jam here... good job I live with a canadian

The grapes we have in the fruit section are not concord grapes unfortunately, but you can buy Welch's grape juice in Tesco, it's isn't usually in the fridges though - it's with the fruit juice cartons. Tesco do their own version of grape juice but it's not concord grapes they use.

Welch's has a very distinct taste and not one we're overly familiar with here but it is very nice especially after a few glasses. I've been through 2litres over the past week or so and now start to crave it!
    Jam and jelly are two very different things! :P At least in my family we make a distinction between the two (and my dad is very specific about what marmalade consists of, and lemon curd as well).

Quote Originally Posted by emet-ana View Post
    Do probiotics work for viruses? I thought they were to promote certain types of bacteria not viruses?
    Probiotics work by creating a healthy environment in your gut, so that you are less prone to gi disturbances of all types.

Quote Originally Posted by AoD View Post
    Jam and jelly are two very different things! :P At least in my family we make a distinction between the two (and my dad is very specific about what marmalade consists of, and lemon curd as well).

What we can Jelly in the UK is what you call Jello in America (the wobbly dessert!).

Jam is used to describe all jams (including those that you call 'jelly') but not to describe lemon curd or marmalade!

Also thanks for the info Daffodil. I think i'll get some probiotics. There are some papers that show that grapeseed extract can affect norovirus (search under google scholar) but most are studies in vitro rather than in vivo!
    Last edited by emet-ana; 01-23-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Just ordered some Welch's Grape Juice, does this stuff taste good by any chance?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by emet-ana View Post
    What we can Jelly in the UK is what you call Jello in America (the wobbly dessert!).

Jam is used to describe all jams (including those that you call 'jelly') but not to describe lemon curd or marmalade!

Also thanks for the info Daffodil. I think i'll get some probiotics. There are some papers that show that grapeseed extract can affect norovirus (search under google scholar) but most are studies in vitro rather than in vivo!
    Good to know o_o I'll keep that in mind if I get a job in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by itsJoe View Post
    Just ordered some Welch's Grape Juice, does this stuff taste good by any chance?
    I like it well enough, it tastes pretty much like concord grapes, but with more "tang." Be careful though, if you drink too much or have some fruit with it, it can mess with your bowel movements...

Quote Originally Posted by AoD View Post
    Good to know o_o I'll keep that in mind if I get a job in the UK!
    Yeah sorry! I can't do much but I can offer useless cultural information!

I'm looking forward to trying Welch's later and seeing what Concord grapes are about! I imagine they're very strong?

I could only find Welch's light, with just 30% grapes .

Concord are American grapes so most grape juice over here is made with other varieties and only a few supermarkets stock Welch's!

I have an orthodontist appointment at an NHS hospital tomorrow and am worried about catching norovirus. I hate not having control of the gloves and utensils that go in my mouth and was hoping to drink loads of Concord juice before hand- d'oh! I do have grapeseed extract tablets (with concord grapes in them)- do you think this is just as good or not?

xx
    Last edited by emet-ana; 01-24-2013 at 12:04 PM.