Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Confused!!!!!!!!

I am little bit confused why people are so proud they have gone so long with out vomiting, I went 34 years with out vomiting, but didn't see it as a accomplishment, because every day, i used to think, today will be the day i will, since i did vomit for first time, i found that accomplishment because i knew i can handle it, if it was to happen again. it was facing my biggest fear, i could of fought it off, but wanted to know what it was like, and learnt a bit more about myself.

Default Re: Confused!!!!!!!!

I really don't understand it either. V moments are something I try to forget.

You posted exactly what I was thinking. I don't understand it either. It's like an anorexic person being proud of not having eaten for a ridiculously long time and the other anorexic people congratulating them, like the disease is something to strive for rather than something to overcome.

Why not be proud when and if you DO happen to vomit (not that I wish it on anybody)? And why not congratulate THAT person for having faced their worst fear.

Zombie I am sorry you were ill.

Zombie congrats on v... It sounds like you handled the situation well and it was a positive experience for your battle with emet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I know what you mean. I haven't v* in 8 years now, and I'm definitely not proud of it. Like you, I'd be proud if I happened to v* somewhere down the line. (Doubt I will but you never know).
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

I`m quite proud of not vting for 16 years because it`s a disgusting thing to do, & it shows that Iv`e managed to take control of my body.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    I`m quite proud of not vting for 16 years because it`s a disgusting thing to do, & it shows that Iv`e managed to take control of my body.
    Yeah, see thats the kind of thing that gets many emets in strife. Its exactly the fear we have - losing control. Or at least it is for me.

Some days I wish I could just do it in order to cleanse my ATTITUDE about needing control! I see other people vomit, then move on with their lives. I have not vomited while being emet, so I don't know how I am going to react when it does happen. Taking control of something that is a normal bodily function seems rather, well, not good in my opinion. Especially if it NEEDS to happen.

I think for alot of people it gives them a belief that they can control the emetophobia and that if they do vomit again, then it will be another 34 years or so, therefore they will be fine.

I tend to agree....I don't know why some people celebrate their records. For me it signifies avoidance. However, I do realize that if I did break my record right now, it would probably make me feel worse in the long run. It's a triumph for me to do something that frightens me, to follow through with it and deal with the anxiety as it comes.

I guess it depends on the individual and how bad the phobia is. I know I wouldn't want to count the months/ years because it would just highlight how many pointless days I've spent worrying about being sick.

I actually don't know how long it's been since I last got sick. I was pretty young last time I got a bug, and was in late teens maybe when I got food poisoning.. But honestly, to me counting down is putting too much focus on this phobia. I happen to agree with chris_alice .. I feel that this phobia is actually the sick, distorted thing, not the getting sick. I do agree that getting sick at this point may be worse for my fear, however I also am actively working to get to the point where I could view it like non phobic people do- as something that is not pleasant, not fun, but temporary and not the end of the world.

About taking control of normal bodily functions, we all do that, I mean when your`e out & about shopping or whatever, & you have to go to the bathroom, you hold it until you find somewhere appropriate to do it, you don`t just do it wherever you happen to be because it`s not socially acceptable. For me controlling vting is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    About taking control of normal bodily functions, we all do that, I mean when your`e out & about shopping or whatever, & you have to go to the bathroom, you hold it until you find somewhere appropriate to do it, you don`t just do it wherever you happen to be because it`s not socially acceptable. For me controlling vting is no different.
    Yes however, we don't have the blind panic and anxiety that comes with having this phobia.

I think to me the difference is that when we have to go to the bathroom while out, and we hold it, it's not done out of fear and panic. Our desire to control whether we v* is done ONLY out of fear and panic. So to me, it's completely different and the line between a healthy normal act of control, and an unhealthy, fear focused, often obsessive act of will. If we did not have this phobia, we would definitely not enjoy v* but it would simply be a part of life, like going to the bathroom.

I've always found that this bothers me. I've got no problem with people that are proud of their v*-free streaks at all, but I associate keeping count with something being 'wrong'. I think it's probably more to do with my social exposure - I have friends that have no phobias and they don't keep tabs on how long it's been since they did a particular thing. I knew a girl that was arachnophobic and she kept track of how many days since she last saw a spider. I agree completely that it's about control and how it can feel like you're controlling your phobia, but I think for me to feel as though I have control of my phobia is to finally v* or feel n* and not have the excessive panic that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFox View Post
    I agree completely that it's about control and how it can feel like you're controlling your phobia, but I think for me to feel as though I have control of my phobia is to finally v* or feel n* and not have the excessive panic that comes with it.
    Exactly! Only thing I'd add is for me, being able to be around someone else doing it without the excessive panic. Learning how to manage my anxiety to the point that I can be the caretaker my phobia prevents me from being in this specific situation.

I agree. Mrs Fox. I don't think is slovenly for people to get ill even in public - unless they are drunk or high and that's a whole different ball of wax. I usually think of being ill as something a person has little control over. Unless a person is really very odd, I don't think most people actually want to get sick.

Some of us celebrate our vomiversaries and some don't. Just like some abbreviate and some don't. I am grateful for every day I go without vomiting. I understand why some people don't want to remember the vomiting, much less the anniversary. So I say let's go onward and upward as our food travels downward. Doug
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 01-28-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.