Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Really worried :(

Okay so about 45 minutes ago, my cat attacked me because it was fighting with my other cat and I dragged her away. So I have cuts and bite marks all over my hands, arms, legs, stomach, chest, back, and shoulders. I am NOT a crier when it comes to physical pain, but I was SCREAMING at the top of my lungs and crying my eyes out(I honestly have never cried so hard in my life, and even when I calmed down I couldn't stop crying), and even though the scratches didn't bleed that much, they were really deep. I was hyperventilating, dizzy, nauseous, I couldn't stop shaking, and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I'm pretty sure I went into psychological shock. I thought I was gonna v, but to be honest, I didn't even care, I was just in so much pain from the scratches and bites. I guess that's a little triumph, I didn't even care about me almost v'ing, I was too preoccupied with other worries. Anyways, that's not even the point of this post. It's bad enough my love for cats isn't as strong anymore, and that my hands aren't good for much, but now I can't wash my hands that often! 1. The soap will burn like crazy, it hurts to even run water over them. 2. I don't want to have to rebandage myself every time I wash my hands. That's A LOT of bandages. I'm scared that this is going to cause me to get a cold or the flu, or even a sv

Default Re: Really worried :(

Cat scratches and bites tend to get infected, so if you haven't used Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream, please use some now. I have owned cats for over 40 years and that's a lot of scratches over time. Your most serious concern right now is infection. The pain should go down soon and you should be able to wash your hands normally. If you have some ibprophen, you might want to take some for the pain. Next time your cats get into a fight, throw water on them. Do not get involved in a cat fight. You can see the result. I'm sorry your kitties attacked you, but when they are in fight mode they are just crazy. If this continues, you might want to talk to your vet about what you can do about this behavior. Please remember cats can usually handle themselves in a fight, and do not interfere except to throw water. A tub of water will stop the fight head on.

Yeah, I have a bunch of band aids and neosporin cream, plus I already washed it out with peroxide like 5 minutes after it happened. I'll keep the water idea in mind for next time, thanks!

Make sure you disinfect the wounds properly with either 70% ethanol or iodine. Peroxide is so-so for disinfection but it's better than nothing. Don't blame the cats, they didn't intend to cause you pain on purpose. Grace is right that if they are fighting, throw water on them (or a blanket, if you don't want to make a mess). It's also a good idea to talk to the vet about this aggressive behavior between cats because you wouldn't want them hurting each other either. That being said, it'll heal pretty quickly. And no, you won't get a sv from not washing your hands. If you're really THAT worried, get those waterproof band-aids (apply on perfectly clean, dry skin) and then you'll be able to wash your hands as usual.

So sorry. Hope you are doing better and the cats are calm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Thanks AoD. Yeah, technically this is my cousins cat, I'm just cat sitting her, so she'll be out hopefully within the next week! It doesn't hurt as bad when I wash my hands compared to earlier, but it still kind of stings. I think I'll be able to cope with it. And Cynna yes, the scratches feel A LOT better now then they did earlier. The cat is calm now, in fact she's back to purring and nuzzling me.

So it was just a settling in fight, then. I'm glad your feeling better.

Pick up some Liquid Bandage. It WILL sting like crazy and first and you will go through the ceiling. However, it's a powerful disinfectant, and once it is on your hands will be protected from infection and you will be able to function and wash your hands w/o it hurting as much!
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

Get rid of the cats if they are that violent, or at least one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchy_jon View Post
    Get rid of the cats if they are that violent, or at least one of them.
    CRYING, CRYING CRYING. Trying not to have a meltdown over his post. VERY SAD

If you are concerned about their behavior see a vet before making a rash decision. They might have ideas that can help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Technically they aren't my cats, one is my friends cat and the other is my cousins. I was cat-sitting them, because they are both in the same situation where they were homeless for awhile and they were living either in a shelter or with other people who couldn't have cats. The one who attacked me is leaving Monday, the other one is leaving February 1st It doesn't hurt to wash my hands anymore luckily. I can wash the bites and scratches out with soap and water without it hurting. It hurts a bit in the shower, because the force of the water is harder, but I can cope with it

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post

If you are concerned about their behavior see a vet before making a rash decision. They might have ideas that can help.
    I completely agree, Cynna. That is not the solution at all. The cats don't know each other (they were being babysat) so obviously there's bound to be some trouble if they're not kept separated. That doesn't meant they are violent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post

Sorry Cynna, didnt mean to upset you. Its just in my experience its very hard to look after two animals at the same time, especially cats as they are very independent. Sometimes if they get too violent it is best to find another home for one of them.

I have three cats and they get along like gang busters. However, whenever a new cat is introduced into a situation, there's bound to be some settling in fighting. It sounds like they are getting along now and one is leaving soon. Your scratches are healing and you've learned not to interrupt a cat fight. I think everyone does that once or even more than once in their life. Heck, my mil did it after many years of owning cats.

The cat that I had wasn`t vicious, just very playful & boistrous, & I got quite a few scratches off him. I always had a water pistol at hand to spray him with if he misbehaved.