Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Is anyone on anti-anxiety medicine?

I was just wondering if they are helpful at all? The past 5 months i've spent being constantly anxious, having panic attacks and feeling ill, i'm currently doing CTB and Hypnotherapy but neither seem to be making a huge difference yet! My doctor prescribed me some anti-emetic but apart from that nothing else, should i mention it? Will it help at all?
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Default Re: Is anyone on anti-anxiety medicine?

i take an anti depressant....prozac...which has really done wonders for me. i also have a prescription for valium (5 mg) which i rarely take....only if really really nervous.
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've been on a ton of them. I even had seizures as a side affect. I'm on some now too.

They never help my anxiety or depression even a little.

Oh I should probably mention, my brain is really sick. Medicine does help a lot of people.

I'm a very rare case. You should consider trying it because I have heard good things.

Prozac has helped with mild depression and anxiety. Watch out for benzos. I hear addiction is horrendous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I have tried a myriad of anti depressants. The one that helped me the most is Lexapro-- I'm definitely not an advocate of them unless they are absolutely necessary. The most important thing, I think, is to really do your research on whatever is prescribed. I take non-narcotic Vistaril for anxiety. It really helps me if I take a therapeutic dose when I feel a panic attack coming on. I am terrified of benzos, only because I have a very addictive personality

I'm in a state of high anxiety most of the time, so do you think some meds combined with my cbt and hypnotherapy may be benefical?
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaVictoria View Post
    I'm in a state of high anxiety most of the time, so do you think some meds combined with my cbt and hypnotherapy may be benefical?
    I think you should have a serious talk with your doctor about it to decide which one(s), if any, would be right for you. I was in a constant state of anxiety mixed with depression before I finally caved and asked for help. I was prescribed a combination of anti-anxiety meds that have severely reduced the daily anxiety so I can function during the day much better than I could before.

I still struggle if/when I'm faced with phobia triggers, but I have ways to help with those as well.

Bottom line, this is a question only your doctor can answer, but it absolutely cannot hurt to ask. You're struggling, and if your doctor knows of some meds that s/he believes are safe for you to take, many people use a combination of meds and therapy to overcome phobias, anxiety, etc.

Yeah i will talk to him! I just want to know if there is anything that will help me to feel even remotely better!

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaVictoria View Post
    Yeah i will talk to him! I just want to know if there is anything that will help me to feel even remotely better!
    It's very very possible and even likely, depending on what your doc says. I've read a lot about emetophobia and one of the most common (if not the most common) ways to treat it is with a combination of therapy and meds. Best wishes to you.

Edited because this is NOT what I posted. I posted a much longer post about my own experience and it was deleted without my permission and wasn't noted here. I don't understand why that happened and I'm NOT happy about it.
    Last edited by BeenThereSince9; 01-25-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Explanation

I also wanted to add that there's such a huge number of meds out there that are used to treat anxiety that one's chances of finding a med that works for them is very good.

if I remember right isn't ativan an anti anxiety and also an anti emetic ? I know alot of ladies who take it who have the same stomach disease as I have.

Sorry for the late reply, but yeah. I was on several different kinds of antidepressants these past few years, with Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Celexa to name a few. They seemed to work okay, but I never noticed any major differences, and so I still had some bad attacks from time to time. This past year, though, my psychiatrist finally decided to switch me to something more anti-anxiety-related, so he prescribed Ativan for me. It's worked wonders for me so far! I can take it as needed, so if I do start feeling panicky, I can just take 1mg of it, and I'm fine!

Ultimately, it's different with each person. You're never going to know what's right for you if you don't try what's out there. If it were me, though, I would suggest looking towards stuff used specifically for anxiety (ie. Benzodiazepines). I would be careful, though. You don't want to go overboard with these medications, as they do have the potential to become addictive.
    “Never, ever, let anyone tell you what you can and can’t do. Prove the cynics wrong. Pity them for they have no imagination. The sky’s the limit. Your sky. Your limit.”
    -Tom Hiddleston

I take klonopin .5mg in the morning and at night. It doesn't work fast like Ativan - usually takes about 30 minutes for symptoms to subside - but is long-acting and keeps my anxiety stable. Also, just to mention, there is an anxiety medication called Vistaril and it is non-habit forming (active ingredient is like benadryl) and can also serve as anti-nausea.

Vistaril is great for me

Has anyone heard of any anti-anxiety drugs that don't have vomiting in the side effects?

Klonopoin is a benzo.

Almost every drug on the planet has n.. listed. There seems to be always one person in a study who will v... if they swallow air or something.

Whatever the doc gives you, make a post and people here can tell you what their real life experiences have been with the drug.

Good luck. HUGS

Kick emets a....

I have never experienced n* or v* from any of the medications I have been on: Paxil, Prozac, Lamictyl, Spironolactone, Tri-Cyclin (birth control), Minicin, etc. I also take probiotics, which are helpful in keeping my stomach in check (or rather, my intestines). Probiotics can aid in good digestion, and since I have a family history of colon cancer, they are just a good idea anyway. If I know I'm about to eat something that might not agree with me (ie. give me digestive problems), I'll take an antacid before hand. My current favorite is Prilosec. Dramamine/Gravol (anti-emetics in US and Canada) also work for me (they basically both have the same ingredients). The only thing that I found that doesn't work is Pepto Bismol.....that stuff never seems to do anything for me.

Paxil for one year.. Some loss of appetite the first week, not too bad. Eventually I weened off because I couldn't sleep while I was taking them. I was exhausted!

I started klonopine .5 mg morning and evening and 50 Zoloft for depression. I asked my doc about addiction. (I've only been on klonopine a month) and she's not concerned cuz it's working. My anxiety level is way down

I take Cipralex 10mg. I experienced no side effects and it started working after less than 1 week. Honestly I can thank this medicine for making my life a lot easier.

I take anti-depressants (sertraline, for over 6 years now) and I was recently prescribed Propranolol (beta blockers) for acute anxiety - I'm currently going through a really rough time with bereavement and my anxiety was so bad my resting heart rate was pretty much always 90bpm upwards so they've helped keep me a bit calmer, though I'd hope I won't be taking them long term.

We've already talked about it Jess, but I repeat, I think it would be good for you. There are meds that help with general anxiety and meds that are used during panic attacks - my opinion is that you should have both to be sure. With time, you start to control your panic attacks and don't need the PA meds anymore. Now I only use them to sleep; that's what they were prescribled for at the first place.

You already know, but I'm on Zoloft for at least a year. After my GAD crisis, my psychiatrist had to double the dose (from 50mg to 100mg) and I felt better as soon as I started taking more of it. There's also Risperdal, but it's not an anti-depressant so I won't talk about it now.

I hope you are doing ok.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.

I spoke to someone last night from the site who has been in hell on klonopin withdrawal. I would recommended that anyone that takes benzos regularly research the drugs fully. There are internet sites dedicated to withdrawal problems from these meds.

Whatever anyone decides to take a med, it is there own personal decision. Your body, your decision. I do encourage the ones taking benzos regularly to research them fully so they can make an informed decision regarding their treatment. Sometimes well meaning doctors have made patients become addicts without the patient realizing it was happening.

Peace.

Kick emets a....

Im on cymbalta but its for my ocd