Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Daughter v* last night. Would like some advice. It's weird! --Sort of graphic

Hi everyone.

I have a 5 year old daughter, one of which has never had a sv. She is not in school or daycare. On Monday, we took our new puppy to the vet. That is the only place she has been in 4 days. Same with me, since I was on a break from school. My boyfriend (not her dad, but an amazing man) also had not been anywhere. It has been really cold and dreary.

So, yesterday, while I was on the way home from school, my boyfriend called me to let me know that my daughter, Layla, said she was not feeling good. He asked her what hurt and she said her throat and that she was coughing. This is normal for her, she has some asthmatic problems. He says upon waking up that she was enthusiastic and went downstairs to grab a juice, but when she came back upstairs, she was acting weird and anxious. She only took a few sips of juice before she v* once. He told me it was only a small amount. I decided to go by the grocery store to pick up bleach, gloves, etc. for him, I figured we were in for a rough night (especially me).

Well, I got home with the stuff and sat by the door (she v* upstairs and she was laying in bed). I was paralyzed with fear. I didn't want to move from the door.

I handed him the stuff and he sat on the stairs to talk to me, since he knows (and is totally supportive) of my emet. After she v* she drunk some more juice and within 30 mins, she began making her way downstairs and v* at the same time (she's weird like that when she v*). I ran outside and stayed in my car from 4:30-9:30. After the last episode, she laid down in her room for about an hour and kept complaining that she was hungry.

I was outside in my car, talking to my boyfriend (who was taking care of her) and told him to give her a little Sprite and nothing else. He said she was back to her usual self and acting just fine. She was playing on the computer, with the puppy, etc.

This just doesn't seem like a typical sv to me, but I don't know what else could be causing it. She was asking for her favorite things to eat (Wendy's, ice cream, etc). When I finally got the courage to come inside, my boyfriend had made sure my bedroom was a safe zone (she never came inside my bedroom yesterday). I spoke with my daughter for a few minutes and went directly upstairs. The areas where she had vomited had been bleached (effectively ruining our carpet... :O, but my boyfriend did not know any better...lol).

From the time that she had complained she was not feeling well until the time she started drinking (and eating toast and crackers, which she was pretty mad about and wanted more) was about 5-6 hours. She v* twice (within a 2 hour span) and after that, she said she felt better. After she began drinking Sprite, she was not pale and when I saw her at 9:30 (only 6 hours after her first episode of v*) she looked completely normal. She was running around and playing with our new puppy.

Now, as far as I go. I was not around her when she v*. So I had no contact with her v* (except for walking around the bleached areas). I used the downstairs bathroom, which no one has ever used lol. I washed my hands in there. The kitchen had not been used, either, so I took my meds in there. I have not touched my face. I am also starving, have not eaten since yesterday morning.

I wanted to add that since Christmas, my daughter has had a weird sleeping schedule. She stays up all night and doesn't wake up until 3-4pm (I know, bad mommy, but me and her DR are trying different things to get her into a better schedule).

Have you guys ever heard of a sv only lasting a few hours? She had no fatigue and did not deviate from her usual schedule, except taking a 30-45 min nap after her 2nd and last v* episode and woke up pretty much normal. She was hungry (and told me so when I walked in last night). She ate just fine, drank just fine. Has not had any d*. I know at the vet yesterday, the stupid idiot missed my puppy completely and the entire contents of the vaccine went all over my puppy's fur. Perhaps she could have ingested some of that Monday night and woke up n*? If it is, in fact, a sv, since I was not around her when she actually v* and have been taking a lot of precautions, more so than I probably need to considering the small amounts and infrequent bouts of v*, do you think I have a chance of getting it?

It was not forceful, it just kind of came out (the second episode I watched from outside). It was clearish (just the juice she had drank). It just seemed to be over so quickly, and especially in a child, it's hard for me to believe it was a sv. But, what do you guys think? I just walked downstairs (bravely) to wake up my boyfriend and he said he feels completely fine.

Since I wasn't the one cleaning the v*, I don't know how well it was done, but he said (and although he is not emet, he is very anxious when it comes to me getting sick, so I am assuming he probably went overboard).

So, TLDR; my daughter v* twice, small amounts, yesterday within a 2 hour period. She was a bit lethargic for a few hours (from dehydration, I guess) but it only lasted 4-5 hours (maybe 6, but closer to 5). She was completely herself by 7:30pm. I did not enter the house but once (about an hour after her first v*) and left right before she started the 2nd v*. I did not reenter the house until 9:30-10pm. I took off all of my clothes, sprayed my bookbag down (so I could do my homework since I am missing today--too afraid I have caught it and don't want to be at school if I do) with Lysol (says it kills Noro), have wipes with benzalkonium (not wet wipes, but the chemical that does kill noro), have two bottles of hand sanitizer w/ 70% alcohol content. I have not ate and no hands in my mouth or face.

What are my chances and what do you think this ailment was that my daughter had yesterday? I will reiterate, no company and no trips anywhere but the vet. Thanks.

Amanda
    “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”-Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Daughter v* last night. Would like some advice. It's weird! --Sort of graphic

I don't think you will get it. It to me sounds like a mild sv. One time both my kids had a sv the same day. My oldest has a weak stomach my little one a stomach of iron. The older one was v* nonstop the little one only v* a few times. So it effects everyone different. I would keep taking proper precautions with washing your hands and cleaning the toilet.

Default Re: Daughter v* last night. Would like some advice. It's weird! --Sort of graphic

Well, I can tell you one thing, it's that it's not from ingesting the content of a spilled vaccine that she'd get sick. It's just saline and a dead virus, basically. Nothing that would cause vomiting. It could be a mild sv, but keep in mind that if she v* doesn't mean you'd get the same symptoms if you did catch it. That being said, with the bleaching and you using a different bathroom I don't see much risk of you catching anything, especially if your boyfriend was careful about washing his hands after cleaning up.

I agree with Natiebear, it sounds like a mild sv, but really who knows. Kids sometimes v* and we don't know why. In case it is something contagious, be sure your daughter washes well after using the bathroom, and the common surfaces in the house, such as doorknobs, light switches, counters, bathrooms, are cleaned with bleach. I think you will be fine, and you have a very caring boyfriend.

Yeah, I have only went downstairs to use the bathroom twice and to take my medications. I feel fine, just hungry bc I haven't eaten anything since yesterday morning. My boyfriend is also fine and has been eating normally all day. Everything is cleaned up officially, except her room (needs to be sprayed and washed). I haven't touched my face yet since this happened. She never v* in the bathroom, he just took her into a bath to clean her up after she v* and he has already bleached that out. I still haven't used the bathroom. She v* on the stairs, in her bedroom and a little bit in the living room. He bleached those as soon as they happened.
    “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”-Oscar Wilde

She hasn't had any d*, she's really good about washing her hands before she eats and after we get back from somewhere. She just had the two small v* episodes yesterday and then she was fine. My boyfriend is going to disinfect once more to make sure he didnt miss anything...but yeah. I have yet to touch my face at all. Or put anything in my mouth that has been touched by my finger. So, I am pretty clear, right? I wasn't around her when she v* and my boyfriend feels fine, too. He has no upset stomach or anything. Thanks guys!

Your boyfriend sounds actually amazing!! My ex would have told me to man up and get inside in that situation! Really think you'll both be fine and glad the wee one's feeling better :-)

Yeah, so it's been over 24 hours since her last v* episode and my boyfriend is still fine *wants food* haha. My daughter is fine, everything seems okay. I am just sitting my bedroom (barricading myself in here) until the 48 hour mark has passed. Then I think I will be fine. :P Everything has been disinfected again and again. Thanks guys for the support.

And yeah, he IS amazing. He comforted her, cleaned everything up and let me sit outside as long as I felt necessary, even asked if I wanted to go stay in a hotel room (which would be full of germs, too, in my opinion). I said no and just stayed outside until she was feeling better and not actively v* anymore. He then made sure that Layla knew that I couldn't get sick (I have school) and to just hold off on loving me until tomorrow. I talked to her for a few minutes and then went to bed. She was fine (and is fine). Hopefully neither of us get it.!

Does she still have a sore throat? When I was a kid I got strep and v*ed, many kids do. Also if she had a fever, little kids often v* from a fever. I am glad that she is feeling better!!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

No fever, but did complain of her throat hurting prior to her v*, however; she often does that when she is going to v*. She also has mild asthma (mainly with exercise) so she can often complain of a sore throat/cough at any time. She is up and playing as usual for right now. No fever, well, it may have been a very very low grade fever, but definitely not warm to the touch.

And yeah, you know, she ate Bojangles the night before, something may just have not sat well on her stomach, or maybe a small bout of fp. I just don't know. I have known of many sv* but this one just seems ridiculously minor if it is, which is good, but still really weird. I just hope I am not overlooking something. :\ The night before she got sick...she said she was really hungry and I told her it was too late to eat and that we would get her whatever she wanted tomorrow (it was midnight & no where was open for food and the things we had she didn't want, because she is picky). I am very meticulous about her and she uses the same wipes I do, and counts to 20-30. The only way I can figure out that she caught a sv is from holding the puppy after the vet did. /shrug. At least for her, the worse is over. Now I am just waiting to see if we end up okay.

Quote Originally Posted by DUHmanda View Post
    And yeah, you know, she ate Bojangles the night before, something may just have not sat well on her stomach, or maybe a small bout of fp. I just don't know. I have known of many sv* but this one just seems ridiculously minor if it is, which is good, but still really weird. I just hope I am not overlooking something. :\ The night before she got sick...she said she was really hungry and I told her it was too late to eat and that we would get her whatever she wanted tomorrow (it was midnight & no where was open for food and the things we had she didn't want, because she is picky). I am very meticulous about her and she uses the same wipes I do, and counts to 20-30. The only way I can figure out that she caught a sv is from holding the puppy after the vet did. /shrug. At least for her, the worse is over. Now I am just waiting to see if we end up okay.
    The thing is kids are so sneaky about touching surfaces and then sticking their fingers in their mouth and nose. I tell my kids all the time when we are out don't stick your fingers in your mouth. All of a sudden ill turn around and guess what they are doing. So she could have touched anything while at. The vet the touched her mouth you never know. My kids also play with shoes all the time and let's face it who knows what we are stepping in when we go out. I don't see how you will catch it with all the precautions you are taking. I have been cleaning v* and wiping d* booty for days and I'm fine so is my hubby who slept with my daughter.

My daughters also seemed to have a very mild sv two weeks ago. My youngest who is 5 was fine all day and then out of no where spent an hour and a half in the bathroom with my husband and v a few times. She went to bed after that and was slightly warm when she woke up the next day and a little dehydrated, but was eating and acting normal that day. My oldest started about 36 hours later (she is emet too) she woke up had d several times and complained of a belly ache and then within a few hours she was feeling better. It was weird, but that was the only thing I could think that it was. They are both in school and I had heard that it was "going around" I hope everyone is doing well!

It does sound like a mild sv. Thankfully, it was over quickly. I'm glad everyone is better now.