Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Thats it. I can't do this anymore.

I don't know what else to do, i'm doing 2 therapies which aren't helping. I destroying my parents lives, just had an argument with my mum because i couldn't eat something and now shes crying. I can't function at home let alone when i'm out. I just want this to be over, i can't live my life like this anymore
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Default Re: Thats it. I can't do this anymore.

This post is worrying, I interpreted by the title that your feeling incredibly apathetic at the moment.
    Are you having thoughts of suicide? If so, its time to go to the doc and organise some sort of medication for your anxiety. Jess, meds are something that help take the edge off your pain and such. Its temporary, and in your case, necessary. Most people on here have been/are on medication for a range of mental health issues that stem from emetophobia.
    For the meantime, is there anything right now you can do to distract your mind? A movie? Book? Anything to get you smiling? Please find something and get to a doctor pronto.
    You will get through this, you just have to take some steps to ensure you pull through the tough part your experiencing now. It does get better. Stay strong x

I just feel like I don't want to be here anymore the last 5 months of my life have been hell. I am going to see my doctor but I'm scared of meds in case they make me sick! I'm ruining my life right now, this is one of most important years of my life and I can't even get into college

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaVictoria View Post
    I just feel like I don't want to be here anymore the last 5 months of my life have been hell. I am going to see my doctor but I'm scared of meds in case they make me sick! I'm ruining my life right now, this is one of most important years of my life and I can't even get into college
    When do you see your doctor next? I think you need to seriously consider discussing medication.

And as far as worrying about them making you sick, try to put that thought in the back of your head. Unless the meds specify otherwise, take them with food and in the evening (or even right before bed). But the biggest thing is to tell your doctor exactly what your worries are. S/he can help you with it. Either prescribe something for nausea/vomiting, or make sure that if s/he prescribes an anti-anxiety med, it's one where nausea/vomiting are very uncommon side effects, etc.

I've been on several different anti-anxiety meds and not a single one has made me nauseous or vomit. The only one I had a problem with gave a pretty bad stomach ache and that was it (and I was off it and on to a new and better one within 10 days).

When I was a Sophomore in high school, I was exactly where you are now. I was in a state of constant anxiety. I was calling my mom every day from school, begging her to let me come home because I was convinced I was sick. I was going through those 150-count bottles of Tums within a couple days and was getting almost no sleep each night. My mom finally forced me to see a psychologist and I refused to talk to him (because I didn't want to admit that I was "crazy"). After my mom described my fears and behavior, he prescribed me Zoloft and I remember reading the list of possible side effects. The first two were nausea and vomiting and I was livid that my mom would expect me to take medicine that had those listed as possible side effects, WAS SHE INSANE?!

So I refused to take them and the rest of that year was pure hell for me. I eventually developed coping mechanisms just to get through school days, but my grades and my health suffered and it wasn't until I hit college before my anxiety kind of backed off a bit.

Anyway, years later I ended up finally breaking down and agreeing to take meds because I just couldn't take the anxiety anymore and wouldn't you know it, Zoloft was what they prescribed me. I was so desperate to feel better that I took it (with food) and just hoped to god I wouldn't get sick. I ended up being on Zoloft for several years and it never once made me feel sick. At all.

My point in all my rambling is that you obviously can't continue to live the way you are and at this point, what have you got to lose? Talk to you doctor as soon as you possibly can and see what they suggest. You need to do something. You don't deserve to be so miserable. You deserve to be happy - let your doctor help you get there, ok?

The meds won't make you sick, there's several people on here who are taking medication and they haven't been sick. Also, I used to work in a pharmacy and none of the people who were on therapy for depression/anxiety reported being sick. The benefits of medication are real, they do help people. It's the kick-start that will help you get better and you're not doomed to take them forever, but they'll put you on the road to recovery. Don't give up, things will get better. And college isn't something you need to do right away, even if you start one semester later it's no big deal.

I have been on meds for years and never gotten sick from any of them. I have a physical condition which causes anxiety/depression and cannot be cured, so meds are a lifetime thing for me, but most people only need them for a short while. Believe it or not, the meds make you feel like yourself again. In my experience, they help an awful lot and allow me to function. Soon you'll be on the road to recovery. This is only a temporary bump in the road. *hugs*

I would definitely call your therapist RIGHT NOW and tell her how you're feeling. She'll understand, and she can put you on medications. Certain ones might cause v, but if she knows about your emet she can prescribe one that doesn't have that symptom. things don't get better fast unfortunately. It takes A LONG time for things to get better, which is why you might feel hopeless. But I promise, it gets better. I'm living proof of it. If you can't talk to your therapist right now, call the suicide hotline and talk to them. If the suicidal thoughts are VERY prominent, so bad you might turn your thoughts into plans, go to the emergency room. Life is an adventure, and you need to be around to see it I hope you feel better, and if you ever need to talk I'm here <3

I have been on meds since 1994 and have never felt sick from them. I felt worse when I didn't take them. They saved my life I'm now able to have a normal life and enjoy things again.

I use to think eating anything would make me vomit to I stopped eating entirely. However I got better and emetophobia usually gets better with age

A low percentage of people get sick when they start on SSRI's. I barely experienced any side effects when I started on Paxil. My doc prescribed that particular brand because it's easy on the stomach. If you start on on a very low dose and take it with food you will be less likely to feel sick from it.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I had a talk with my parents told them how i'm feeling and their taking me to talk with my doctor in the next few days. I'm looking at everything, even considering a stay in a psychiatric hospital :') I don't really know what else to do!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Thanks for all the responses guys. I had a talk with my parents told them how i'm feeling and their taking me to talk with my doctor in the next few days. I'm looking at everything, even considering a stay in a psychiatric hospital :') I don't really know what else to do!
    I'm so glad you told your parents. I had a stay in the hospital for mine also it helped very much. The good thing about being in a hospital is you get intensive thearpy all day and there is always staff there even in the middle of the night to help you. It was a positive experience for me if that's the route you choose to take.

Are they staff in hospitals nice? I would just be worried that i couldn't have my parents there all the time

Hugs! I've been on at least ten different medications (when I was younger and unrelated to emet) for depression and the worst side effects I ever got from any of them were sleepiness and trembling hands. No nausea, no v* at all. I have also thought about staying in a psychiatric hospital for my emet before. I have when I was much younger for self harm issues and it was very helpful. Good luck with anything you do, sweetheart!
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

Are they staff in hospitals nice? I would just be worried that i couldn't have my parents there all the time
    For me it was very nice. It didn't look like a hospital unit normally dose. They are very calm comforting people and helped me a ton. At the one I stayed there was visiting hours. They do not let visitors come all the time because you are very busy when in there. I was always doing something like group thearpy individual or talking with a doctor. When not doing that they had group activities like crafting cooking and hiking that you would do. It is very structured so you have little time to focus on missing your parents. I was 18 when I was in and had never been away from my parents like that and I didn't mind.

I'm happy you told your parents and are going to do whatever you can to get help I have never been admitted to a hospital even though I came close to being admitted quite a few times. From my understanding, you'd get around the clock help, so whenever you feel really bad, somebody will be there for you. They would most likely put you on medications there, but if they know about your phobia they will make sure to work with you to find one that will not cause v. You could stay there a short term of 3-5 days, or up to a few weeks, depending on the situation. They structure it to where you are so busy, you don't have time to be depressed anyways.

I am proud of you for talking to your parents. That took a lot of courage

Keep fighting. If it gets too bad, have your parents take you to the er. A hospital stay could be beneficial to you. They could help get you stabilized.

I take prozac. I never v.. from it. I had some n.. at first. There are tons of other drugs out there. Sometimes our bodies are chemically in balanced and cause us to feel bad. I have a condition that is called dysthymia. It is mild depression. I need meds from time to time to help me function. It is just the way my body is. I suggest that you and your parents have a long talk with your doctor so they can decide the best treatment plan for you. It can and does get better. Believe.

Good luck. Stay strong. KEEP FIGHTING. HUGS HUGS HUGS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

im on generic lexapro. ive had emetophobia and anxiety since i was 8 and i never wanted to be on meds because i didnt want to be 'dulled out.' after years and years of struggling and getting to the point where i felt like i couldnt stop crying and i couldnt function, i finally started lexapro last year and it has changed my life. i can finally feel like myself. i can go out and not be nervous all the time. im still me, and i still have anxiety, but i definitely feel like i can function like i should. not once did the meds ever make me feel sick. they've actually prevented me from feeling sick. you are a strong person, sometimes you just need a little help, we all do

I'm glad I read this, I can definitely relate. For the first time ever, I feel like I'm at a point in my life where I can't function normally in society or anywhere else. It's not just the phobia, it is other things too, but having the phobia on top of it makes any event that might induce emet related anxiety in me downright impossible to handle. Sigh. It's good to know others have benefitted from medication; my doctor just recommended I take Vitamin C for depression and the vitamin Niacin for anxiety... then couldn't, or wouldn't, recommend a psychiatrist when I asked him for one. The school psychologist, however, said they were unable to treat me with the resources they had there there and strongly recommended I go to a professional outside the school for treatment. Sorry, didn't mean to interfere in the topic with my own problems, it's just nice to be able to have some support!

Just an update, i went to see my doctor today and he was extremely helpful. He is doing everything he can for me and a psychatrist is coming out and will probably prescribe something for the anxiety which i hope will help. Im still having a really bad time, im off school and panicking all the time though! Thank you all for the responses Mrs Bloom, i'm so sorry to hear your having a bad time too! But we will get through it, it just takes time

Benzos can be very addictive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Yes Jessica, like Cynna said, make sure he doesn't put you on benzo's, and if he does, make sure it isn't for an extended period of time. They are known to be addicting, and the withdrawal symptoms can be similar to heroin withdrawal symptoms. Which yes, includes v. So make sure to discuss all the side effects, how long you have to stay on it, and what will happen when you come off of it Good luck!

So this whole weekend has just set me back once again, this is so difficult I don't want to live in a world where you can get sick