Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dad just got sick, nervous

This is my first time posting. Like everyone here, I am petrified of throwing up. My dad just threw up downstairs. I'm upstairs right now, and washed my hands right away.

He had a cold a few days ago, and now I have he cold. Is that easier to catch than the stomach virus?

Should I be okay as long as I stay up in my room, keep washing my hands, and don't come in contact with him or anyone that was by him?

Default Re: Dad just got sick, nervous

Kenny, does he have diarrhoea/stomach cramps/fever? if he just vomited if could be due to the cold.

Not sure about the those symptoms. He's never vomited from a cold before. Right now I might have a small one (had it for about a day or so, he just got over it a few days ago)

Okay, he said that he had stomach cramps and diarrhoea before he threw up.

I wasn't near where he was sick, so would that reduce my chances a good amount?

You can only get noro from actual v or d. Give him some space and stay out of the areas he was sick until he is better. Continue with good hand washing/hygiene practices. When he is feeling better, he or you will need to clean with bleach which kills noro. He should be feeling a lot better in a few hours. You're doing fine. You can do this. I hope your Dad feels better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace47 View Post
    You can only get noro from actual v or d. Give him some space and stay out of the areas he was sick until he is better. Continue with good hand washing/hygiene practices. When he is feeling better, he or you will need to clean with bleach which kills noro. He should be feeling a lot better in a few hours. You're doing fine. You can do this. I hope your Dad feels better soon.
    Thanks. I was trying to confirm that. I'm sure him or my mom will clean.

This has happened a few times before, and I've never gotten sick. I've just stayed clear of everyone else, washed my hands, sprayed lysol, and hoped for the best.

Looks like what you're doing is working. You seem a lot calmer now. That is good.

Colds and influenza like viruses are airborne, so even with good hygiene you can catch them. I have probably the best hand hygiene of anyone I know and I had an upper respiratory infection and bronchitis last week. To avoid this keep your hands clean and away from your eyes, mouth, and nose at all times and you will be fine! When your dad gets better go ahead and bleach clean or Lysol. Welcome to the site! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need to talk.
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

It's been about 24 hours now and I haven't gotten sick. I don't think he has the flu, if he did he would be feeling a lot worse and have a fever.

I guess I should be fine and know by tonight if I would get it.

I think you were right. He did have an sv since he seems to be doing fine now. You're right. The end is almost here. You're probably fine and you've done a great job handling this.

It's been more than two days now, and I'm fine. I guess I'm all clear now.

I've been trying to go downstairs more, just keeping part of my shirt over my mouth.

The viral particles won't still be airbourne, they settle in less than 5 minutes since he last vomited. Its not necessary to cover your mouth now, but as for touching common surfaces like railings, light switches, door knobs I would probably lysol them if I were you just to be safe as that is where the virus COULD be transmitted. Glad your dad is better

Now my mom might be sick. She's having D, and is a little N. Could she have gotten it this late?

Okay, i just had a little D, some in my pants, but other than that, im feeling fine. Could that have been anxiety and nerves just getting the best of me?

Yes, it definitely could. Your mom most likely didn't get anything from your dad.

Well, she does have the virus now. Maybe she caught it from somewhere else?

I'm trying not to worry, buts its real hard . I haven't been by her since she v or d, so should I be okay? I do have some pains on the side pof my stomach, but that's probably just anxiety.

Kenny, if you want to chat, it's safe now. It sounds like you're doing your best. Hang in there.

Sorry you were in the chat while the trolls were there.

I hope you are doing ok. Just wash your hands real good and keep them out of your mouth. Your mom must wash here hands good after pooping or she could transfer it when she cooks food or something. If she washed hands good and areas where she v.. and had d.. are cleaned properly, it should not spread.

Try to distract your mind. Can you put on a movie? Hugs

At the moment the trolls have left the chat, but they have been in and out today. UGH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Thanks everyone. She definitely is washing her hands and being hygenic, she has bad anxiety and some ocd too.

It was contained in her bathroom and her room, both of which I haven't been in since around midnight last night.

I've been trying to keep my mind off of it by watching comedies or playing video games. I just took a bath to relax, and it seemed to help.

If I do touch my mouth, its with my sleeve or forearm, so that should keep me safe.

Is there an edit button on this forum?

At the bottom of your closed post, hit edit post.

Sounds like you should stay safe. Keep doing what you are doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Found it. Think I might have needed 10 posts to be able to edit.

New problem now. My dad and brother needed to use by bathroom to shower, and brought stuff from my moms into mine. This was before my mom v, she only had d and closed the toilet before flushing so no germs would get into the air. I sprayed almost everything in my bathroom with lysol and wiped them with wipes, should that kill the germs and keep me safe?

It's been about 14 hours now since my mom started, is that a good sign for me that I didn't get it yet if I would?

That's a good sign. Also her attention to not spreading it is also a good sign. I hope you are feeling more relaxed now.

So having that stuff in my bathroom isn't that big of a deal if its sprayed?

I'm feeling a little more relaxed. I tried to get a little sleep and did. I'm gonna eat bland foods today and tomorow just to be safe. Jello, toast, bagel, maybe some crackers.
    Last edited by Kenny220; 01-30-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Kenny, you are doing great! If I were in your shoes I would have a mental meltdown by now, so you should be proud.

Seems like your mom is doing a good job in not spreading germs as Grace says. Just hang in there and you'll be fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I'm not sure I'm doing totally great on the mental breakdown part. I've kept calling my mom asking me what the percentages of me not getting it are. She thinks 60% at least, maybe 70 or 80.

Sorry your parents both got sick. Did they happen to eat contaminated food or was she not careful after your dad was sick?

Keep Doing what you are doing w the hand washing and you should be ok.

She was careful when my dad was sick. I'm pretty sure she didn't eat any contaminated food, and its been 5 days since my dad was sick, so she might have gotten the virus from somewhere else.

Sorry you're going through this. My husband got it a few years ago and I didn't get it from him. One thing that helped was that once he stopped v*, i wiped EVERY door knob, light switch, faucet handle, toilet handle, etc with BLEACH (Clorox Clean-Up). I did this once a day for about 4 days and I also washed my hands like crazy. It was kind of a lot of work, but at least i didn't get it.

Does it have to be bleach, or do lysol wipes work just as well? That's what I have been using.

I think I should be ok. I havent touched anything that was infected, and was reading that the virus is not airborne.