Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Help!!!

Default Help!!!

Yesterday, my parents and I were around a lady who said she had been "at the hospital with someone who was sick" which I can only assume meant they were sick with nv or something, and she said she didn't want to shake hands or get too near to us in case she had something. I stayed really far away, but my parents got closer and were within normal talking distance to her. Last night, apparently my mom was sick (don't know details, just know v was involved) and she seems to be better today, but as you guys know, this CANNOT happen to me. It might have been something she ate, or something else, but it's just very rare for anyone in my family to v without any reason!! So if it is (I can't even think it) nv, have I been exposed to it already?? We don't share a bathroom, I haven't seen my mom at all today or as far as I know touched anything she touched or been anywhere near the area... What are my chances of getting sick?? I am just so scared, out of my mind with anxiety, anything will help, thanks! If I did come into contact with it, how much longer do I have before it takes effect? I am all packed and ready to go to my boyfriend's house, but I don't know if it will actually help, as in, if I've already been exposed to it then that is that, or if I leave now will I actually be more protected? ahhh sorry, I am rambling, just so freaked out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Help!!!

She just came to talk to me and she said "I don't think I'm sick, sick" which, I guess, means "I don't think I have a virus" but what the heck?? It doesn't just randomly happen! D: She has no appetite today, but apparently she's "better..."

You can't get noro from causal contact. It must be from actual v or d particles. So just walking down the street next to someone would not give it to you. Your parent's friend was probably referring to a respiratory illness which is airborne or just being cautious and polite. There are a number of reasons you mom could have v*ed that are not related to sv. For example, could she be pregnant? Or she could have eaten something that didn't set right with her. Since she only v*ed once, it was probably not sv.

You can't get noro from talking to someone. There must be physical contact with surfaces contaminated by v* or d* (objects, a person's hand, etc). There's a lot of different reasons why someone would be at the hospital for an illness besides noro, could have been the flu as it is pretty bad this year. Also, yes, some people v* without catching a virus so it could be a number of other reasons like food poisoning, a migraine, food intolerance, fever, etc. If you don't share a bathroom with her I'm thinking even if what she had was infectious, your chances of catching it are nearly zero. IF it was something contagious and you were exposed, it's quite possible you won't even v* from it.. and it usually takes from 12h to 72h after exposure to get symptoms.

Thanks for the replies. I know she's definitely not pregnant (lol) and it was irrational of me to post thinking you could get noro just from talking to someone, I guess I wasn't thinking noro exactly but another illness that might cause v? If that makes sense? And it was ignorant to post that being in the hospital was a direct result of that, it's just always what my brain flashes to when I hear that someone has been hospitalized for being "sick," and needs IVs or whatever... scary!! It's good to know how long it can take for symptoms to appear though. I won't rest until three days from now then, lol! And you have a good point about not v* from it, I have felt how a normal person probably feels before they do plenty of times, but haven't. I've also been exposed to people who have recently v* a few times recently (unfortunately...) and it's never been anything that was contagious. So I can make it through this (if only with extreme panic/anxiety.) It was just EXTREMELY unexpected and not like her at all... you know how there's those people that seem to v* a lot, or more than normal, and then there's those who are very rare? My family is very rare. :/ So it freaked me out, needless to say, and I'm still freaked out, but hopefully everything will be fine!