Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Bad omeprazole side effects :(

My doctor started me on omeprazole earlier this week and since I've been taking it, I've been having really bad heartburn and absolutely HORRIBLE waves of n*. Has anyone else had a similar experience from omeprazole? Should I be worried??

Default Re: Bad omeprazole side effects :(

I never had any of those sideffects with it. I know they say it can cause d* but never heard of it making things worse. Maybe your just anxious about starting a new drug and that's causing it. Try drinking some ice water and also it's ok to take an antacid with it too. I do take Pepcid with nexium and doc said that was fine.

I wouldn't worry about omeprazole/prilosec. i take it to help when my stomach gets all acidic and sour - it helps get rid of my anxiety over n*, too. i think you may just be anxious - i get like that when i take new meds. but this one should help! xoxo. take care.

I've been on so many other drugs that I don't bat an eye when I get prescribed a new one anymore. I took antacids earlier and they seemed to help a bit but now I have a constant pressure in the back of my throat and I can't stop shaking..........

Sounds to me like its something you should keep an eye on. It may, for whatever reason, have an ingredient in there that you can't tolerate. I wonder if perhaps your problem is too little stomach acid and if this is making that worse, since it lessens the production of it further.. either way I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it!

I was going to say what HEH said. I just posted about thinking I may have too little acid rather than too much. I have been taking Nexium (esomeprazole) for months, to no avail. My dr told me to double what I was taking, and I had WORSE heartburn, terrible nausea; it got so bad the other night that I started looking up alternatives. Long story short, I'm doing a "trial run" to see if it's too little rather than too much. Started taking 2 T apple cider vinegar a day, and so far so good (today is my 3rd day). Haven't noticed as much indigestion, and the n* is pretty much just regular old anxiety-nausea. It's worth looking into! I figure it can't hurt