Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default OT: Anyone here chronically ill? (Or chronically awesome, as I call it.)

I'm 22 and I have fibromyalgia and mixed connective tissue disease which is a combination of lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and a few other things most people haven't heard of, and mine leans more toward the lupus side.

Anyone else affected by a chronic illness? How does is affect your emet?

I may have to start a medication soon that is a less agressive form of chemotherapy, and of course I am terrified!
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

Default Re: OT: Anyone here chronically ill? (Or chronically awesome, as I call it.)

I have multiple sclerosis. I think it makes it worse for me, because I am so aware my immune system is not the best and it takes me longer to heal. My husband also has a number of chronic conditions as well.

Default Re: OT: Anyone here chronically ill? (Or chronically awesome, as I call it.)

I try to forget about that part! I take lots of immune enhancing supplements, even though I know it makes my condition worse since it's over-active anyways. I'm not ready to stop though.

My husband and my stepmother have fibro. I am very familiar with it. Thank goodness I don't have to deal with as much pain as they do. I'm so sorry you got this so young. And sorry for all the pain I know you live with.

I have fibro, and sufffer lots of nausea, but i have learnt to distinguish between "real" nausea and fibro induced if that makes sense, everything seems worse when we are in a flare up and feeling more delicate, just makes us feel vunerable i guess, i have recently had 25 sessions of CBT it has helped me so much and also finding this site was a great day in my "emet" life, take care everyone and try to keep smilin' xx

Another fibromyalgia sufferer here, along with arthritis and hypermobility syndrome. Pretty much every painkiller I've been prescribed caused me to feel nauseated, so my GP referred me to a physiotherapist and took me off pain meds - I've been managing without painkillers for about six months now, but to be honest I think once I've got my phobia in check (currently going through CBT) I'll get straight back on meds, because sometimes the pain can be unbearable.

From a physical standpoint, I know this sounds daft but my fibro can make me incredibly anxious in relation to my emet when out in public - for example if someone v*s I won't be able to move away from them fast enough because my legs just won't do it!

I just tried posting, but it's not showing up and says my reply needs to be moderated -_-

Just saying that I too am a fibro sufferer, along with a type of arthritis and hypermobility syndrome.

That doesn't sound pleasant at all. I'm very sorry to hear about that

I have Asperger Syndome & Bipolar (not technically a disease tho) and IBS.

Well, I've been unsure of the IBS for a while because n* isn't supposed to be one of the symptoms.. So I often just say I have chronic n*.
    Honestly the n* part is really the worst. When I first get n* it's so bad I have to lay in bed for weeks, even months.
    I've tried several anti n* pills an no one has worked.

Last year I found out I had the breast cancer gene too, and I need to be tested for Diabetes II because I have been showing some symptoms.

But I often find that the more sick I am the more greatfull I can be for the times I feel fine. Staying positive is very important!

I have asthma and once during a bad attack, for which I should have been in hospital, I wouldn't let anyone call an ambulance because I was too scared to go to A&E/ER as I thought someone might v* there, luckily after overdosing on salbutamol nebs I started to breathe better again. However asthma is very common so I know it's not seen as a big deal.

I'm sorry to hear that you have a nasty autoimmune disease. I know Lupus is horrible condition and know some people who have rheumatoid arthritis and really struggle with mobility problems and pain. I'm not actually familiar with fibromyalgia but it sounds really tricky to deal with when it causes nausea.

With the drug treatment- are you being put on immunosuppressants? I think that your doctor will prescribe some anti-emetics if any of them have emesis as a side effect so hopefully it won't make you more poorly but I can see why you'd be anxious about it. Have you had any therapy to deal with the combination of emetophobia and chronic illness? It might be worth looking into that to help you cope with all this!

ps. I feel really sorry for all of you- psychological illnesses/phobias and physical illnesses are each hard enough to cope with by themselves- it must be very hard to cope with both!
    Last edited by emet-ana; 01-29-2013 at 01:01 PM.

I REFUSE to be put on immunosuppressants. This is one of the biggest reasons I'm in desperate need of treatment for this phobia (I start next week with a therapist and psychiatrist.) I'm neglecting my autoimmune disease because of this phobia, that's pretty ridiculous.

I have hashimotos (thyroid disorder). After I don't know how many years, I found a Dr.that might be able to help some. I'm on bio identical hormone creams from a hysterectomy and I thought that would make it all better. But it's a constant battle. For the past 7 or so years, I get anxiety induced n. I have valium to help but I'm still too skinny because I'm afraid to eat too much. I'm hoping it will get better now that I'm on a hopefully correct thyroid medication. JUST T3. I have read many articles that T3 deficiency can cause anxiety and with me - anxiety induced n.
    I feel for all of you who have illnesses to deal with. It's no fun! And I was scared to death to take this T3 because of possible side effects. Dr. assured me that the only side effects would be anxiety and heart palps and then I would cut the dose down. But anxiety brings n in me. YIKES!!! But as long as it is anxiety induced, I can take a valium. And I very rarely take it so I"m not afraid of addiction. I'm so afraid of having to ever deal with withdrawal symptoms because I hear n is a big part of it. I will NEVER become addicted That's one good thing.

I just have asthma and Tietze syndrome. Not major issues. Do an inhaler or neb sometimes for asthma and use advil for the Tietze syndrome.

You guys are all CHRONICALLY AWESOME.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I`m a bit thyroid deficient, I don`t know if that count`s as an illness, or just a hormone deficiency, but reading the posts here,& all the health problems, makes me thankful for being otherwise in good shape!