Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Germstar Noro - too good to be true?

Hi guys...I'm new here

I've been following these boards for quite a while. I never knew there was an official name for the phobia we all share here (I never even realised that other people were as afraid of V'ing as I am).

I'm going on a couple of cruises this year and whilst I am really looking forward to them....there is one thing that I'm trying to put to the back of my mind. Yep, you guessed it - Norovirus.

I purposely picked the 2 cruises that have itineraries outside of the typical Norovirus season (1st cruise is to Norway in mid-May and 2nd is a 7 night Mediterreanian cruise from Barcalona on 22nd September).....I found all there news before Xmas about the Norovirus on P&O's Oriana horrendous!!

Anyway whilst looking on the Cruise Critic forums, someone posted about Noro etc and mentioed a product that apparently kills Norovirus.....I was thinking about using this in conjunction with my usual hand washing (which is very thorough -I hum the "Happy Birthday" song to myself twice to make sure I wash them long enough!)

Anyway, I do a google search for 'Germstar Noro' (I can't put a link up as this is my first post)....what do you guys think? Legit?

Default Re: Germstar Noro - too good to be true?

I think I've got this product and I use it aswell as following a good hand washing regime.apparantly its proven to kill noro aswell as other bugs and viruses so it certainly won't hurt to try it

dude i need to find this stuff ASAP

It looks promising....although a little part of me thinks "if this works as well as they claim, why aren't we seeing it widely used in hospitals, schools, cruise ships etc....and why aren't we seeing this sold in every shop and advertised on TV etc?)

I hate to be cynical......but yeah, I need to get this stuff ASAP!!

I'm also one for being cynical.
    .. but I feel like if I had it I would be slightly less anxious in my day-to-day life

Even though it sounds too good to be true, I'd still be skeptical about it.
    "Free speech is like money, some just have a lot more of it than others"

Formerly GuitarFreak

Quote Originally Posted by MrParker View Post
    Even though it sounds too good to be true, I'd still be skeptical about it.
    Yeah, that's my thoughts.....surely places like Boots (in the UK) would be selling this, as well as all the big supermarket chains if it was legit?

I use it. I don't think they can sell it with those claims without them being true. Link is germstar.com
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

Exclamation Re: Germstar Noro - too good to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdave View Post

Anyway, I do a google search for 'Germstar Noro' (I can't put a link up as this is my first post)....what do you guys think? Legit?

in my oppinion i dont think it is and here is why:

it says on the germstar site that it is made with 63% Ethyl alcohol base... well by a lab report i found (done in the US at Emory) about the norovirus and hand sanitizers with alcohol, they do not work! and here is the link to that study: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2805232/ (cant post links yet, sorry)

it states that the virus's nucleic acid cant be killed/penetrated by alcohol or anything else that they know of except for bleach.

Germstar Noro contains two types of alcohol that work together and a special emolient that helps them work better.

From the website:

GermstarŪ Noro is scientifically formulated to kill Noro virus. It has a 63% Ethyl alcohol base as its active ingredient, special emollients which maximize its Noro virus killing power, and leaves a fresh, mint scent.

Lab results (available upon request from GermstarŪ general offices) prove its ability to kill Noro virus in 20 seconds of contact time.

I looked this up just now, read a few pages.. it seems legit. A quote from a website that seems unbiased (it reviews many noro killing hand sanitisers positively, so not one of those fake 'advert' reiews)

"The company GermstarŪ has specifically designed a hand sanitizer that kills norovirus. It is called GermstarŪNoro. It's active ingredient is 63% ethanol. So, how could this possibly work when the regular 62% alcohol products don't work very well? I contacted the company to find out. I read their ingredient list, read their test results, and e-mailed the scientist who did the tests. This is what I learned. GermstarŪNoro contains an emollient complex that makes it work better. The phrase "emollient complex" probably sounds fishy to you (like an anti-wrinkle cream commercial). Basically, they have added some extra ingredients that make the alcohol work much better. They also did not add glycerin (which most alcohol hand gels contain). They found that the glycerin "protects" the viruses. I believe their results and I trust that GermstarŪNoro does kill norovirus, especially since the scientist who tested GermstarŪNoro (Dr. Syed Sattar) is one of the top researchers in the field. GermstarŪNoro is currently only available to purchase on the company's website. They are trying hard to get their product in stores. I have used GermstarŪNoro for years and I really like it. (I have also recently started using the Clorox Hand Sanitizer Spray). It is a liquid that comes in a spray bottle. It dries really nice with no stickiness. Like all alcohol hand sanitizers, it stings my knuckles in the winter when they are dry and chapped. Therefore, I usually just put it on my palms and fingers. I don't eat with my knuckles, anyway. I recommend getting the 2oz bottles for carrying in your purse or coat pocket. "

Quote Originally Posted by dannan View Post
    I looked this up just now, read a few pages.. it seems legit. A quote from a website that seems unbiased (it reviews many noro killing hand sanitisers positively, so not one of those fake 'advert' reiews)

"The company GermstarŪ has specifically designed a hand sanitizer that kills norovirus. It is called GermstarŪNoro. It's active ingredient is 63% ethanol. So, how could this possibly work when the regular 62% alcohol products don't work very well? I contacted the company to find out. I read their ingredient list, read their test results, and e-mailed the scientist who did the tests. This is what I learned. GermstarŪNoro contains an emollient complex that makes it work better. The phrase "emollient complex" probably sounds fishy to you (like an anti-wrinkle cream commercial). Basically, they have added some extra ingredients that make the alcohol work much better. They also did not add glycerin (which most alcohol hand gels contain). They found that the glycerin "protects" the viruses. I believe their results and I trust that GermstarŪNoro does kill norovirus, especially since the scientist who tested GermstarŪNoro (Dr. Syed Sattar) is one of the top researchers in the field. GermstarŪNoro is currently only available to purchase on the company's website. They are trying hard to get their product in stores. I have used GermstarŪNoro for years and I really like it. (I have also recently started using the Clorox Hand Sanitizer Spray). It is a liquid that comes in a spray bottle. It dries really nice with no stickiness. Like all alcohol hand sanitizers, it stings my knuckles in the winter when they are dry and chapped. Therefore, I usually just put it on my palms and fingers. I don't eat with my knuckles, anyway. I recommend getting the 2oz bottles for carrying in your purse or coat pocket. "

SWEEEEEEEEEEET. Love this stuff. And it smells like mint too, mm.

Just wish I could work for the company so I could get a discount. So expensive!

Drummer, welcome to IES. We're here to help, and it's good to see more men here.

I'm just curious, the main thing I think about when it comes to cruising is seasickness rather than noro. How do you ease your mind about that?

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi

Luckily (touch wood etc) I don't get travel sick and I have been on boat "trips" whilst on holiday and have been fine.

These cruise ships are huge and are equipped with stabilizers and apparently you don't feel much (if any) movement.

Having said that, I'm still going to take some travel sickness tablets, sea bands and ginger tablets (just in case we have any rough seas - although just making sure I can see the horizon can help. That way my inner ear can tell my brain that the movement is in relation to what I'm seeing).

I have specifically picked itineraries that have traditionally calm routes and the time of year....so fingers crossed.

I'm just curious, the main thing I think about when it comes to cruising is seasickness rather than noro. How do you ease your mind about that?

Doug[/QUOTE]

I take meclizine 25 mg tablets. It's good for inner ear, vertigo, motion sickness and general tummy discomfort. I prefer it over dramamine actually. Hope this helps for future travels. Also, I think they make meclizine patches. It's all over the counter. You may have to ask the pharmacy tech. They keep it behind the counter at target.

Did you mean to add something, Eaford?
    To learn more about emetophobia, see