Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New to this site...

Hi Guys

I am new to this site and possibly some of you are in a much better place than I am. I have just learned about this site from scouring the CDC and NIH sites. Just reading about *V and *D make me sweat and shake! I am 51 years old and I am just now seeing that this is a true phobia.

This time of year and with the Noro running rampant (a couple people in my fitness center had/have it) and I simply cannot stop freaking out. My hands shake even thinking about it, and I refuse to eat out anymore and its gotten to the point that I barely let my husband cook. I should say that the last time I got *v sick, I ended up at the hospital because I had a seizure from dehydration, they wanted to keep me there because my intestines were full of blood from being so sick. I ended up coming home after hours, but continued being so sick.

I used to be mildly paranoid - but this is full blown. I can't even watch a tv show if someone is sick. I don't know what's going on but I am so freaked out with this new noro - I am now cleaning my entire house with bleach. I only touch my face with a paper towel and its never, ever near my eyes, nose or mouth.

Please tell me someone else is this bad?

Default Re: New to this site...

Hello and welcome, I'm new too!

I'm similar in my anxiety during noro season and I will ALWAYS check online before watching a TV episode or film to see if anyone has 'reported' there's a v* scene. Means I end up spoiling the film for myself, but I'd rather not risk it!

You are definitely not alone. I have had the worst year ever emet-wise. I'm 31 & have had this since I was at least 7 years old. It has been a frenzy of med changes, daily panic attacks, bleaching, and at one point, not even leaving my house. It has been a bit better this week as I am back on the med that helped me the most in the first place. I'm still anxious as h#%ll but I think I am turning a corner! Do you notice that yours comes in waves? I had a sv Oct 2011 after having mono, and my best friend passed away Jan 2012... Since then, I have been a wreck. BUT, there have been times in my life (fairly long periods--6 or so years) where it was only noticeable if someone in my house was sick or something. This week I have gone about my normal routine mostly (taking my 3 yr old to preschool, going to the gym, etc), but I am still not eating out or going in big crowds.

What a horrible experience you had! Was your emet as bad before that? Do you do any therapy / medication? I have heard that CBT is really good, but called the only one in my area today, and I'm going to have to wait... It's $400/mo as I don't have mental health insurance . And only one of the therapists has ever heard of emetophobia-- none have experience with it. Sigh. Hang in there. It's nice to have somewhere to come and relate!!

I just discovered this site as well! I used to be just as bad. My days were consumed with worry and fear over v*. My fear started when I was around 9 years old. I got a norovirus, and somehow developed the phobia. That was also the last time I v* oddly enough. I'm 26 now. I have since gained a little more control over my emet. But I still develop pretty intense anxiety when anything sv* related comes around. My friends and family think I'm nuts!

jennjt- I see your a jenn from Tennessee as well

I also recently figured out this is a real condition after suffering from it for many years. You are definitely not alone even in having had it for a long time. Welcome to the site.

Jenn Jade, yes I am! I live in Johnson City now but have lived in Knoxville, also. Are you from Maryville?! I was just there not too long ago looking at a wedding venue with my brother and future sis-in-law. Anyway, good to see another Tennessean on here. I'm sitting on my porch now listening to the wind howling.. Eek!

jennjt, yes I've lived in Maryville most of my life! Thankfully dodged the tornadoes today, the weather is just crazy huh?! Glad to meet ya girl!

Minniesmom, Welcome - this place has offered me much comfort while I deal with daily fear! Even though most of us feel that our bouts with SV are traumatic, it seems that yours was legitimately traumatic! This phobia was much easier to deal with before having kids. I have a 6 and 4 year old and feel as if I am not enjoying the best time of my life with them because I am so afraid that they will become sick. I too just cleaned my house with bleach - smells great! I don't think your behavior is much different than mine! I don't mind staying home, but then again, I get depressed from not going out - does that make any sense? Anyways, welcome!

Hello new user! Salutations and welcome!

Yeesh. Very understandable reasoning, sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with it; but as everyone else said, you are not alone. The people on these forums go from being riddled blindly with the terrible fear to people who overcame it and are here to offer their services to those who are in need of help. My fear was just as bad as your's, I was put into the hospital for some months simply because of the fear, but is currently one of the folks around here who are an inch away from overcoming it; and I know that you can too! There are plenty of people here who love to help and give advice on coping, distractions, how to keep yourself calm, and at least get you onto somewhat more steady feet. Hope you have a good time here. (: