Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default chicken and sell-by dates

I bought chicken (with bones...don't know if this matters) on Saturday, with a sell-by date of Jan. 30th...which is today. It's still OK to eat tonight, right?

Default Re: chicken and sell-by dates

It should be ok. Believe me if it was bad you would be able to smell a difference lol. It's a very. Distinct odor.

Foods can be spoiled and not smell bad, but usually chicken that has gone bad smells TERRIBLE. Especially when cooking. I'm sure it's fine though if you cook it tonight.

If it's only one day, it should be good. I should know somewhat well as I FREAK hard over food that might be out-of-date.
    The best thing to do though if you're unsure of any food is to give it a good whiff. Meat will give off the most horrible odours, naturally.

It should be fine until the sell-by date but I personally would never use anything ON or past the sell by or best before date but that's because of my emetophobia. The stilltasty.com website states that raw chicken should be kept in the original UNOPENED package in the fridge 1 - 2 days.

If in doubt, throw it out. Even if it's perfectly safe, if you're going to worry after eating it, is the mental torture worth it?