Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anxiety and The Fear of Embarrassing Yourself in Public

Haven't been on here in months and thought, what the heck, first time back start another curious question forum.

Now, I must add my emetophobia is merely a mild nuisance now-a-days. I've had it for years...and something else I've had for years were continual dreams about my teeth falling out. I finally searched to see if there were any general thoughts about what those sort of dreams meant and the general explanation was that they usually were for people who were insecure about their looks/afraid of embarrassing themselves in public.

It puzzled me. Like every human being I have those fears/worries as they're natural but...that's just it. They're the same as any normal person's, nothing extreme; but that got me to thinking about the fear of becoming ill.

I realized that I can't stand the thought of getting sick in public; even dry heaving, which I do often now thanks to a medical condition. And I've gotten so well with dry heaving that I do it without a second thought, let it come with no fear.

But in public...no. I can do it at home. I can do it if I'm in a tightly sealed doctor's office. I can do it at another house. But if I'm doing it out around a lot of strangers, that old panic-fear starts to creep up a tad again.

Which leads me to - does anyone else here feel the same? That you'd feel more comfortable having to go through your fear at home or in a much secluded area than being out in a very open space? Do you believe it could be of embarrassment, or is it simply because most of us know that our homes are our comfort zones, especially those with social anxiety topping their fear? Do you just feel more fear than ever if you're outside compared to when you're in a comfy home?

Curious questions, as always. I love to see how fellow emets deal and react with various things.

Default Re: Anxiety and The Fear of Embarrassing Yourself in Public

For me, it's not really a fear getting sick in public, but more a fear of unexpectedly getting sick. Like not knowing when it's coming. This could be in public or at home. The thought of getting sick everywhere, instead of being at a toilet and knowing exactly when it's coming, is even more terrifying to me than just getting sick.

However I do fear getting sick in public to, especially if it's in an environment with people who know who I am. Just the thought of embarrassing myself like that and then having to be mocked about my greatest fear when I next see them... That's something that truly scares me.

Understandable, Rudi; it's clear how one could be just as embarrassed with people they know...strangers are more or less just faces in a crowd that will forget about you the day after.

Definitely there is more anxiety about being sick in public. And I very much think it has to do with the control factor. I don't want to lose control in front of a bunch of people. I feel huge anxiety no matter what about being sick, but public is definitely worse!

I always have dreams about my teeth falling out! Much more often than anything to do with v*. When I was young I had a massive fear of my teeth falling out so I think it's because of that rather than fear of embarrassment. Although I get more panicky if I'm n* in public than at home, I think that's due to being out of my comfort zone. I'd MUCH rather wet myself in public than v* with no one seeing, so I don't think my phobia is self-esteem related.

I worry about it all the time, getting sick somewhere besides home. I have huge anxiety about v* anyway but to not be at home frightens the hell out ofme.

I do also worry about having a bad anxiety attack and embarassing myself in public too

I have often had dreams about teeth falling out, it`s hardly surprising because that`s another thing that scares the hell out of me, being toothless. Mother lost all her teeth when she was still in her 30`s through severe gum disease, & I`m scared that it`s hereditary, but my most immediate fear is vting in public & looking stupid.

This is a big part of my anxiety and phobia. I mean I completely fear v* anywhere but I work myself into a panic thinking it might just hit me out of no where when I am at work or away from home. I was struggling with agoraphobia for a while because of this.
    I am always worrying about feeling s* somewhere and not making it home in time.

Maige; as with you, my emetophobia is mostly gone. It's more of a memory of anxiety than a real anxiety now.

I'm also afraid of embarassment; and of feeling a failure. If I puke, it's because I failed at taking care of my body and got sick.

The only degree to which I could fear others vomiting is if they are contagious.
    Sincerely,
    David