Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Do other emets annoy you?

I'm not proud of it but I must confess that I easily get very annoyed at other emetophobic people when they say something like, for example, "OMG I'm doomed! I touched my ear without washing my hands!" (silly example to make my point). My initial reaction is one of annoyance and I want to reply, "You're not the boy in the plastic bubble with no immune system so you don't have to be sterile to surive!!!" And yet, I react the exact same way they do about most things. But when someone else has the exact same reaction I would, it annoys me because I see how illogical it is but when it's me, well it seems perfectly logical. Do you get what I'm saying? Am I the only one who gets annoyed with other emets for doing the same things I do? lol I wonder why that is.

Default Re: Do other emets annoy you?

I have only ever met one other emet (not counting those on here). Maybe because she was the only one I knew, I felt relieved to know that there was someone with the same problem as me (except her's was that she couldn't stand other people doing it around her, and I'm the opposite). Point being, I guess I try to put myself in her shoes. Sometimes I read posts on here and think to myself, "I don't know what I can say except that you (the one posting) have nothing to worry about.", or "I can't believe you're worried about that. But that's mostly when I know I have or have had a similar experience myself and come out alright. Other times, I read things from posters that scare me, and remind me why I'm here. They don't feel well, they're scared, and I don't know what to say either, because I think I'd be the same way if I was in their position. I like the fact that somewhere on here there will are always be people who provide comfort, or advice.

Not normally. Usually, I am thankful that I am seldom n and that I don't seem to have it as bad as some of the others. I know once winter sickness season is over, I will be worry free for the most part. For me, it's a seasonal thing. Unfortunately, that season seems to be really long.

I don't think that thought has ever occured to me. I feel strangely happy about knowing that others feel the same I do. I'm obsessed with hygiene and freaked out by the thought of v*, and I've never met a person in real life that feels the same way. So I am very grateful for this forum and can understand other emets very well.

The thought never really ran through my mind. I never met an emet in real life though. I know people who claim "they hate v" so much, i can't stand it" but it doesn't seem to get in the way of their daily life, so I don't consider them emets. Now that I think about it, sometimes when somebody on here makes a post that seems kind of silly, like you said "OMG I TOUCHED MY EAR AND DIDN'T WASH MY HANDS" I get a little annoyed, because it's kind of obvious they'll be fine. At the same time though, it makes me realize I don't have it as bad as others, and I shouldn't judge if I don't understand. It's all about perspective I guess.

I guess my point was that it's so obvious to me when someone else will be fine and is driving themselves nuts for no reason, but when I do it, I just don't see it. Or, more accurately, I can't stop myself from reacting exactly the same way "they" do. Maybe I sometimes get annoyed with other emets because I subconsciously see myself in their behavior and that's a part of me I hate and want to get rid of ???

I do see where you are coming from.

The definition of a phobia is actually that you are aware that the behavior is irrational so it makes sense you'd be irritated by people being "crazy" about emet when you're not in the same situation, because they are irrational thoughts. It's just that when in a panic, we, well, panic and for a short while the fear takes over logic so we become irrational too.

I can totally understand what you're saying. Like my sister who also is emet will call me up freaking out about someone that came into her work that was sick a few days ago and she's scared she's going to get it and I'm like relax you're not going to get it! So stop calling me every 5 minutes to freak out cause I have things to do...yet if it were to happen to me I'd be the same way :/

The only thing that I find a bit irritating on this site is people saying that "I must be due to v soon, because I haven`t done it for so long", they give the impression that everyone has to v a given number of times in their lives, which is just rubbish!

I've never met another emetophobe

A friend of mine is also a phobic, but her fear is FAR more of seeing other people v* whereas my biggest fear is doing it myself - so I almost feel annoyed when she tells me how 'easy' it is to get through an episode of v* because it's not that bad - she should know how terrifying the mere thought is! I do understand that we are triggered by different things though, so we never seem to clash over anything luckily!

I have never met another emet either - I think we should plan a trip - someplace warm, tropical, maybe where SV's don't exist????

I don't think such a place exists, Ladybug.... but one can dream! lol

I actually love when people tell me it's not that bad. I don't want it to be that bad, and thinking maybe it isn't give me a glimmer of hope that I can handle it when the time comes. I'm very afraid of not being able to handle it. Sometimes I think I may be more afraid of the fear I would feel than the actual act itself. When someone talks about how terrible it is, it sends my fear into a frenzy. I don't want my phobia validated. So I actually welcome comments like "it's not that bad" or "it's not a big deal". I make my husband say stuff like that when I'm having a bad day lol and he means it! He v*s all the freaking time.

I've never met another emetophobe in person. I don't find myself annoyed with the emets on here even if they're freaking about a situation in which they'll be ok because I've been there.

I annoy myself lol
    As others have said, I have yet to meet an emet in real life. Hopefully that's gonna change in May!! I have learned to be patient with people as well as myself. I might get frustrated on occasion because I feel at a loss in regards to what I can do to ease someone's anxiety. I think it's safe to say everyone feels that way at one time or another.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadxxInside92 View Post
    I annoy myself lol
    Me too lol !!!

I think everything to do with emetophobia annoys me - the actual act of vomiting, the fear, the avoidance, the obsessive crazy thoughts and behaviors, myself, other emets... all of it. I hate it all.

I am just glad to know there are others, that I am not absolutely friggin insane. Never met another emet quite as bad as me in real life.

YES! I've never met an emet in real life but honestly, some people here are annoying. They worry about anything, anything at all.

Oh god, I thouched a door. I'm sure I'm going to vomit.
    Oh god, I have only washed my hands 50 times today. I'm sure I'm going to vomit.
    Oh god, someone sneezed on me. I'm sure I'm going to vomit.

C'mon people! Let's worry when we should get worried, not about ordinary things!

(Sorry if I offended anyone, but that's my POV).
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Not really. Only people without emet annoy me, especially the people that complain about always getting ill yet doesn't wash their hands after using a public restroom or anything.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

No actually I take comfort in other emets. We're so rational with each other, as I like to think of it, we can be good at being each other's therapists even if we're bad at being our own therapist. I have met 3 other emets irl, all of whom I initially met on IES. In all 3 cases there was already a high level of comfort due to establishing some online rapport beforehand and knowing I wouldn't be judged for my avoidance behavior should they happen to show themselves...and if I felt bad they'd probably want me to leave worse than I wanted to leave too! Top shelf folks, these 3, I won't name any names but they can if they want to. I have 2 other people I consider close enough friends that I would be disappointed if I never got to meet them, and would really enjoy meeting any of you that I've gotten to know somewhat. I've often wondered how it would be with other emets if we were good enough friends to spend time irl together, what would happen if the issue of n* and v* or just anxiety presented themselves...how would we handle each other then. But no, I'm not normally annoyed, cause any crazy thought people here have had, I'm sure I could have a thought like that, and for some of us, this is the only place where we can be open about our problems. I've been blessed to have a real supportive family I can turn to so they often bear the brunt of supporting me, but I feel really grateful for my emet friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Rls1994 View Post
    Not really. Only people without emet annoy me, especially the people that complain about always getting ill yet doesn't wash their hands after using a public restroom or anything.
    ^^I agree. I hate if when people don't use basic hygeine and then get sick all the time. I feel sympathy for people when their anxiety is high. I may not always know what to say, but anxiety is such a rotten thing to cope with.

I've never met another emet offline. I'm usually more annoyed by the people who aren't emet who "forget" to wash their hands, touch their mouths all the time and hang out with people who are sick. Then those people in turn get annoyed with me because I'm always nagging them to wash their hands or I'm not eating the chicken they cooked. Its a lovely cycle really. I think I'd be far more content to be around people who were scared their ear was contaminated!