Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default hydrogen peroxide

I read somewhere that hydrogen peroxide can kill the norovirus, so I bought a bottle for just 99p. It says on the label that it`s good for cleaning cuts, & can even be used as a mouthwash if diluted. If it can kill noro, then I won`t be buying regular hand sanitisers anymore because this stuff is so much cheaper & doesn`t have that weird smell that the usual hand sanitisers do. I`m wondering if any other members use this stuff, & has it helped keep svs away?

Default Re: hydrogen peroxide

I don't know if it keeps noro away or not, but if you dilute it makes a good mouthwash when you have canker sores and heals them right up. It is useful in dozens of ways. It is a good blood remover from fabric as well as being a good color safe bleach. I learned this from a nurse. It appears that it will kill noro http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22169115

Plenty of things do kill it other than than bleach. I use Armstrong Floor Cleaner and it has a very strong acid in it that literally strips the skin off germs (including noro and people, too, btw) which is seldom listed as one that does when you go to the different sites. UV light also kills noro within 20 seconds.

Hydrogen Peroxide is a very potent so ensure what you are buying is less that 3% concentrate Hydrogen Peroxide. Alot of things can kill norovirus including Benzalkonium Chloride and benzethonium chloride in concentrations of 0.13% which is much safer. Buy hand sanitizer that has those concentrations in to kill norovirus and be wary of using hydrogen peroxide long term.

I'm not so sure I'd use H2O2 as a mouthwash since I understand it is an emetic. It's a strong oxidizer like bleach so it makes sense that with enough contact time and in sufficient concentrations it too would destroy noro. What residence time at which concentration? That I couldn't tell you.

You can buy h2o2 mouthwash from Colgate called peroxyl which is a 1.5% solution.
    So I is safe and is a rather unique method if antiseptic to oral bacteria.

I'm not sure how it acts on viruses anyway, they are hardy little beggers and I'm not sure a bit of free radical oxygen is going to do much.

It is also good for cleaning ears of wax. Poor it in and lie on your side for 10mins.

I don't know if it kills viruses or not, but it can be really hard on the skin, so I wouldn't use it as a sanitizer.

WOW I did not know this!... THATS PRETTY COOL if it does work. But i couldnt use it as hand sanitizer. It always turns my fingertips white and it BURNS like a mother!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.