Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I've seen a few people mention gagging in their posts and this has always been a big problem for me, so I thought I would seek some reassurance form you all. Occasionally I will get panicky and anxious and feel like I'm going to gag. I have to sit really still, cleanch my teeth and squeeze something to make it go away, but if I think about it it come full force. This really makes me panic because I have a hard time calming myself down to make it go away. Half the time I'm not even nauseous really, so do you think it is all panic that does this to me??

I mean obviously everyone who v*s doesn't gag first right? I guess if I could just associate that feeling with panic more than v* I probably wouldn't freak out about it so much. Ugh I hate the feeling of gagging SO much!!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

I actually gag all the time when Im having a pnaic attack and in stressful situations. However, nothing ever comes up or anything-but normally my mouth gets dry first! It is horrible though-I know how you feel

Felicityx</TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

x Felicity x

ok good. Does it freak you out too if people see you doing it?

so gagging can be caused purely by anxiety?
    Angles

I don't exactly get gagging or maybe I do, I can this feeling in my throat like there is something caught in it, you know the feeling when you think something is coming up but it really doesn't, whenever I get that feeling I always try to make myself burp or swallow, and I can hear the bubbles of air in my throat coming up just like gurgles in your stomache make noises, it's very weird but whenever people have panic attacks you swallow alot of air, which creates gas and air pockets, I just had an panic attack a few mins ago cause I ate many freeze pops and other things and my stomach is so bloated from it I felt like yucky and I have my period which doesn't help but it was a fast moving panic attack thank god but yes anxiety def does cause your reflexes, during an attack your muscels in you body tense up and since your muscels has everything to do with reflexs it causes this! So it's very very possible it's the anxiety!

aww thats comforting to know. i also get these gurgle type things and never thought that they could be caused by anxiety due to my more rapid breathing!
    Angles

Default Re: Gagging from anxiety

Yes! I recently went through a very long period of stress and every morning for over a year I would gag and dry heave like crazy until I got to work. It's definitely an anxiety thing! I don't have it much anymore and it should calm down for you when you aren't stressed but I do still get it occasionally or when I'm having a panic attack. It's miserable and I hope it stops for you!

Carissa

Default Re: Gagging from anxiety

Oh boy, do I know how you feel!

I've had severe anxiety for as long as I can remember, and it almost always manifested itself in nausea, which sometimes led to gagging (but never v-ing). I remember one time, I'd been visiting my mom out of town over the holidays, and I'd had maybe 2 hours of sleep the night before I was to make the 6-hour drive home. I panicked so much about my ability to make the drive that I gagged about 6 times in the shower that morning. That's my most memorable! Again, I was never, ever sick from it, just gaggy.

I went on an anti-anxiety medication last year and am happy to say I haven't had any anxiety-related gags since. I wish I'd found a way to do that without medication but I'm glad something's worked. It's good that you've found that squeezing something helps. My trick to calm myself down in those situations was always to firmly put a hand to my chest, take deep breaths, and close my eyes. It didn't always completely take it away, but it helped a lot. <3