Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Ot: Sleep problems

Hello everybody. This post has nothing to do with emet. But I really need help with this, and I don't know who to consult. Okay, I don't have insomnia or anything. I have no problems falling asleep, I don't wake up in the middle of the night, etc. Sometimes I go through periods of time where I'll have nightmares every night for like 2 weeks straight, but it is temporary. Anyways, my main problem is my sleeping schedule. Being home schooled, I usually stay up until 2 am and wake up around 11 am. One problem with this. I volunteer twice a week at 8 am. Plus, I can't have this sleeping schedule forever. I'm going back to school soon! Now you're probably thinking, well just deal with the sleep loss one night so you fall asleep early the next night. That's a huge problem. I don't know whats wrong with me..but if I get less than 6 hours of sleep, I basically have a mental breakdown. I start hallucinating and having delusions, I get extremely suicidal, I usually have an anxiety attack, and my emotions swing out of control. Last night I got less than 6 hours of sleep. I had a small anxiety attack, a few mood swings today, and I hallucinated. Plus I was so weak, I could barely move. This happens every time. Once, it was so bad that I was talking to bushes and bugs, and I thought I was invisible. Then I almost threw myself in front of a car. My mom had to practically carry me in the house because I was so weak. Even if I have a great day, it still happens. I don't know what to do. How am I going to cope with the future..a job, college, having kids, etc, if I can't even deal with a little bit of tiredness? Every time I bring this up to somebody they think I'm crazy.

Default Re: Ot: Sleep problems

No, you're not crazy. I've met others with this problem. I'm not sure how to cure it, because it's really hard to fall asleep when you're not tired yet. I'm not sure what to tell you. Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

Alright, thank you. When I told my therapist about one of the incidents that happened, she just kind of brushed it off like she didn't want to talk about it. Strange, I know. Maybe I need to bring it up with her again.

I think you should. My counselor always asks about my sleeping habits since sleep can impact mental health. I'm a bit surprised yours brushed it off. Maybe she was just having an off day.

I also have sleeping issues. Some days I don't get any sleep at all, but then other days I will be able to sleep for around 5-6 hours. The thing is, I only start getting tired at like, 6:00 in the morning and is asleep until like 2-3 in the afternoon... :/ I feel nauseous everyday which is why I struggle to sleep properly. So yeah, I can totally relate to how you're feeling.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

Well I'm glad I'm not all alone with it! I think she brushed it off because she didn't really know how to help me, she's still in college(she's one of those therapists in training) so she probably wouldn't know how to go upon helping me. Plus, this was when we first started therapy, so she might not have wanted to say something that doesn't fit me, if that makes sense.

All true. My psychologist is near retirement. That's probably why he's more knowledgeable.