Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Ugh, possible Noro at work!!

So I've had a cold for the past 3+ days with HORRID post-nasal drip. For the past two nights the n* from all the mucus in my stomach has woken me up in the middle of the night, although Pepto seems to take care of it. That alone has given me tons of anxiety.

Anyway, I work in a hospital, on an inpatient detox. A patient this morning was reported to be v*ing in the bathroom saying every time he attempted to get up he would throw up again. I don't know this patient, have never seen him and didn't witness this event. My coworkers did, though, and I know I touched a doorknob and then my mouth accidentally today so it's really all I can focus on.

If he has noro I KNOW it will spread like wildfire through here, just like it did last year (somehow I avoided it then). Yes, these could be detox symptoms but he was medicated for a whole day before he began to v* so that would be hard to believe that he is JUST reacting to the meds now. Plus I heard the doctor suggest SV and the patient apparently agreed! He is sitting in group now, not having vomited since 7 AM (11:30AM here now).

I'm worried because I know my immune system is low. I've taken tons of Vit C yesterday and the day before and I exercise everyday to keep it up, but when you have a cold you have a cold. I'm now terrified to leave my office and CAN'T BELIEVE I touched a doorknob earlier and then my mouth. Help. :-(

Default Re: Ugh, possible Noro at work!!

Maybe he just reached the point of being full of the meds? could also be stress and anxiety from going to detox.....people who are on drugs/alcohol honestly don't take the best care of themselves and are often "sick" from different things. hang in there, you will be ok. keep up with handwashing and wash before you eat, don't touch your face or bite nails, etc.

It's hard to tell why your patient might have v*ed. He may not be honest about taking his meds or anything. You must have super hygiene to have missed it last year. There's no reason why you shouldn't miss it this year. Try to remember that these people have brutally mistreated their bodies. It probably doesn't take much to make them ill.

The sad part is I know all this stuff- I've worked in drug and alcohol for three years, am licensed by the state as a counselor and am in grad school for a masters in clinical social work. But my phobia makes it impossible to see reason, which is why I come here.

The patient says he's doing better and is up and about, so it could have been the meds. I have to run a group that he will be in and I just hope he doesn't vomit in it. :-( I wouldn't be able to keep my composure. Because even if is just detoxing or reacting to meds my mind immediately assumes vomit contains something that will make me sick.

I admire you for working in an environment where there is likely to be a lot of v. You're really helping people and making a difference. You have a lot to be proud of.