Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Exposure Therapy when root fear is actually about loss of control?

Hello all,

First of all, I'm new to this forum and it seems like there are a lot of really nice people out there willing to help. It's nice to see a little humanity in the world.

Now to get to the point, I'm interested in starting exposure therapy for emetophobia. However, it's mostly a fear of losing control that causes my phobia. When I get really panicky, 95% of the time its because I'm afraid of losing control while v*. Another 1% of the time its migraines, another 1% its passing out, 1% its not being able to communicate, 2% its any number of things that could incapacitate me. I figure if I can tackle the big 95% phobia, it obviously would be a huge achievement and it might be easier to overcome than a general fear of losing control.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of situation?

Many thanks

Default Re: Exposure Therapy when root fear is actually about loss of control?

Yes, I think loss of control is a very very big part of it.

I know that it`s mainly about loss of control for me, & also looking foolish & vulnerable.

I'm currently doing exposure therapy. Loss of control is also what I fear. The only time I really fear v*ing is when I think I have the sv. It's the only situation where I don't have control. Sometimes I think I fear the sv more v*ing itself.

I'm not sure exposure therapy to v* would help much if it's a control thing. Well it may help to see how you can v* then immediately regain composure.
    I would say CBT is more likely to offer help in these instances where you can address the thought behind it first, then expose yourself to the situation.

Exposure therapy does help. Yes, there is underlying fears associated with vomiting but the exposure helps you to become gradually desensitized. Once you know the root cause of your fear to can work on developing your own wisdom to cope with it.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.