Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medications

I am not sure if this is a silly question or if it has been asked before.[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

Is it common for Emetiphobics to take a lot of tummy meds? I am not sure if I can connect that with what I have. I never go anywhere without Pepto Bismul, gravol, gaviscon or Ginger Ale. I feel really bad but I often don't need to take it I carry it more for just in case. [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

I would appreciate any input you all might have,

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Melikasa

I am not sure if this is a silly question or if it has been asked before.[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

Is it common for Emetiphobics to take a lot of tummy meds? I am not sure if I can connect that with what I have. I never go anywhere without Pepto Bismul, gravol, gaviscon or Ginger Ale. I feel really bad but I often don't need to take it I carry it more for just in case. [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

I would appreciate any input you all might have,

Hey Melikasa!!

No!! It's not uncommon AT ALL!!!! Actually, it's quite the opposite!! I'm sure everyone else can back me up on this one!! I carry an anti-emetic with me at all times just in case!! I know that a lot of people on here do as well!! I always have something in my purse for emergencies! OH! And Pepto/Tums is a necessity in the house...if there is none of that, it's like not having milk or bread in the house! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]So, not uncommon at all!!

And no question is a silly one!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Edited by: NCsmile6
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I usually carry Pepto around with me in small doses because I have IBS and I never know when it might hit me.

I always have gravol in my bathroom somewhere but I don't usually take it out with me. I try not to take it too often cause its pretty strong stuff.

mints are a good thing to carry around for the occasional upset stomach, I dont usually takemedicine for it untill it gets unbearable.

~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

i always carry bachs rescue remedy with me to keep me calm if is start to panic...i think its like 99% alcohol solution lol

i dont take any medecine around with me, because i wouldnt even know where to get it from

what i do do tho, is carry mints every single place i go. cannot be seen without them. infact when i told my mate about my phobia, the first thing she said was "is that why your always chewing gum" lol. tht made me laugh.

Jen xxxxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

health food shops such as holland and barrot (if u live in the uk) sell stuff likr ginger tablets and rescue remedy

oh yeah of course, i like that place, its good to get my echinachea stuff.

thanks

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:

I'm not too keen on medication either. Dnt like the thaught of side affects. I have IBS so take mebeverine which works wonders, I also am a mint freek!! I always ahve some mints with me!!

i kno this mite b an obvious question but wot is ibs?

every1 on here seems 2 have multiple problems e.g. anorexia, ibs but i only have the emet...does that make me a rare breed?

Hi IBS is iritable Bowel Syndrome,normally caused by stress or could be an allergy to food..But u can normally have severe diarohere or constipation.It's not pleasant to have either way but i do suffer with it and just tell myself when i get upset tummy that its just mt IBS but the mint's do help to relax the stomach as when u panick the muscles in the bowel start to cramp and work over time and u get alot of wind and then need to visit the toilet alot.Hope this helps,Not everyone has it, that has emet i guess it depends on your bowels!!!! If u know what i mean,without sounding 2 UHHH!!!!!! sorry about the spelling!!!!

i kno if ive had a bad panic aboutbeing ill i tend 2 get constipation a few hours laterbut i thought that was just natural...i wudnt say i have aythinglike u describe tho...sounds nasty

Quote Originally Posted by missgoddess
    i kno if ive had a bad panic aboutbeing ill i tend 2 get constipation a few hours laterbut i thought that was just natural...i wudnt say i have aythinglike u describe tho...sounds nasty

I'm the same way, except opposite...if that makes sense. When I am nervous or stressed or panicked, I get the runs. But luckily, it isn't IBS!! I feel horrible for those of you who have it and who have to deal with emet on top of this!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

yeah same. i dont think i could even imagine what that must be like. but you all cope so well, cos ur all so brave, everyone on here is, ur all amazing amazing people and im never going to forget NE of you

*gets tearful* lol. excuse that, dont know where it came from.

Jen xxxx

MSN:

I have IBS as well. It seems fairly common now that I read the replies. I ALWAYS have peppermints and gum on me heheh In fact we have a place called cosco which is a large warehouse place that sells food in large quantities and that is where I bought my gum got like 20 packs for $5.00.

I have carried ginger tablets I just haven't lately because it was expensive the last few times I looked.

Thanks for all the replies[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I take gravol many times a week. I'm lucky to go 3 days without one. I used to worry but I don't really anymore; it's not enough to do any damage and it's just an antihistamine, and people take those every day for their allergies so what harm is it. I also have pepto bismol, but I don't like taking it because it causes constipation, doesn't last very long,and it has antacid in it, which is not good to take at all. I will never touch antacids.

I have IBS but its more of a pain and gurgling than doing my buisness. When I get stressed or freeked out my stomach gets out of sinc and starts gurgling and moving etc. But my medication is great at relaxing the stomach muscles

I don't do all that medicine, although I'm freakish about my vitamins (echinacea and vitamin c all winter long faithfully) Where do you get Gravol? In the US, I didn't think alot of these meds were available without a prescription.

i tkae pepto bismol all the time!! i like the sound of this gravol stuff.... never heard of it. i'll have to look next time i go to CVS. im new to this site. it is such a HUGE relief that im not the only one with this phobia. if anyone wants to tlak on AIM about it, that would help me a lot. i really need to talk cuz no one around here understands. Lol. my SN is JakSparowsLovely Im me sometime... i would love to hear from Ya All!!!

ps- Missgoddess, i LUV your icon. Stitch Rules!!! lol srry bout that

Gravol isa label namealso known as dimenhydrinate (which isthe chemical name) It is available here in Canada off the shelf that has a pharmacy in it and in some places you just ask the pharmacist. I know that inthe US and Mexico you can buy it incorner stores and gas stations.

I try not to rely on it but it settles my stomach the one downfall is that it can make you sleepy unless that is what you like. ie before I go to the dentist. Not to put any bad ideas in anyones head.

It is found in a few or rather as a few antihistamines.

I use to work in a pharmacy as a technician and we had it behind the counter. we never seemed to sell a lot but I wonder if it isn't that well known.

I had IBS as well, although I was taking medication for about 6 months
    and it went away. It still hits me occasionally though, which sucks.
    In answer to the original question, I don't really take medications with me.
    Pepto Bismol grosses me out and I don't like to swallow pills. I usually
    have a couple asprins in my bag though, and sometimes I'll grab a ginger
    ale if me stomache's been weird. Actually, the thing I always have to have
    with me is a digital thermometer. I guess it's not the fear of having a
    fever, as much as the comfort of knowing for sure that I don't.
    Maybe I'm strange.
    <font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.</font>
    —Seneca</font>

Quote Originally Posted by missgoddess

i kno this mite b an obvious question but wot is ibs?

every1 on here seems 2 have multiple problems e.g. anorexia, ibs but i only have the emet...does that make me a rare breed?

Nah, I don't think you're a rare breed. I'm solely an emet too.I'm from the US, and the medications I use are Emetrol (an over-the-counter anti-nauseant/anti-v* syrup), Vistaril (prescription anti-anxiety/anti-nauseant, the generic name is Hydroxzypam: makes you very relaxed and sleepy, but works every time), and the standard Pepto-Bismol and Tums, etc. etc.. Some other emets I know take Compazine, but I hear it doesn't work well for the nerves, just the tummy. It's usually prescribed for morning sickness. I generally stay away from vitamins unless I know something's going around, because even they can make me feel yicky.

~Rebeccah
    Love is the only rational act.

In my cupboard now is Pepto, Tums, Mylanta... I also have GERD, PCOS and IBS, so I take fiber supplement and prilosec every day. I do have a couple compazine left, a doctor at urgent care prescribed it when I was really nauseous one time, but my regular dr won't renew the rx, so it's tucked away for a rainy day.

Where can you get grovol? Does it work well?

I don't carry things with me anymore. With all my tummy ills I get true true nausea, not my in-my-head stuff (I don't get that anymore hardly) and that's really the only time I freak anymore. Day to day stuff is okay with me. I still get scared of the real thing happening though. Sigh.

I looked today for Gravol in CVS but i couldn't find it. i did find this anti-nausea syrup though. i dunno if it works. im trying to lessen my dependence on pepto as i hear it can be bad since its an anacid. someday i will find that gravol though. i dont want to ask the pharmicist though because i buy enough tummy stuff as it is and i dont want a reputation since everyone knows everyone here.

rock_on~ i always check my temp when im at home so ur not the oddball. i cant take it with me everywhere though since i spend a majority of my time in school. thats why i take pepto.

P.S. does anyone know of any other good meds? does tums work well? i dunno if that cures nausea.
    Omnia vincit amor. -- \"Love conquers all.\"

does anyone know if ginger powder mixed with water does anything?

ok i know i have typed a lot in this forum lately but i jsut wanna say, that anti-nausea stuff works great. i really need to find something other than meds tho. lol. i luv you all! im so glad im not the only person with thishorrid phobia. it is such a relief![img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]

Ginger and water has woked for me as an anti nauseant. It is listed in herbal remedies to help with motion sickness. I use to do this or pack it is gel caps. I would sometimes naw on raw ginger too.

It is good to help increase appitite and lower blood pressure. It is also knownto aid poor digestion. I think that is why I like to sip Ginger ale with meals when I can.

If you buy the capsules take 2 before or at time of nausea then 2 thereafter. BUT don't take more than 12 a day ( might cause the runs)

consult your doctor before using this product:
    allergies, heart problems, gall bladder problems (gall stones), brain or nervous system problems or if you are pregnant or breasfeeding.

Dimenhydrinateis the chemical name for Gravol. I think it might be called something different in the states in some places. I know that we can get Gravol (which is a brand name) as travel tabs here. I know that it isn't hard to get in the states because you can get it is some gas stations you don't have to be where there is a pharmacy. Here though a lot of places that have pharmacies keep it behing the counter so that you have to ask the pharmacist.

You can get it in liquid and chewable as well as tablets. Though I wouldn't recommend you get use to taking them or relying on them.

thnx~ i chew on raw ginger to. i also drink a lot of lemon ginger tea.

if you guys can't find gravol try looking for "dramamine", that's the generic name for it. Or just try taking benadryl and see how that works, since dramamine is justa salt of benadryl.
    what a horrible night to have a curse.