Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This question is inspired by the "get rid of it or avoid it" thread as well as various other threads that I have read over time.

In general, I don't think that there are any real, tangible benefits to having emetophobia.

Yet, I also suppose that we would not have it if it were filling some positive role in our lives, even though it brings so much negative along with it. I'd be interested in hearing what positive role or purpose you believe emetophobia serves in your life.

If you think it does have an objective, real benefit rather than just a subjective one that works for you in your life, I'd also be interested in hearing about that as well.

When I wasplagued by emet, I believed that it served the function of making sure that I was never doing anything that could be construed as nasty with my body. I was trying to be in control of the unpleasant functions of my body for many reasons stemming from my past.

I think there are positive aspects to emet too. I don't drink alcohol,
    because of my fear of v*. Therefor, I'll never be an alcoholic or
    damage my liver
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

You're right. There are few tangible benefits to emetophobia and the
    few that you can actually argue such as not drinking are minimal.

However, logic does not work on this phobia. Your argument is just like
    the same old one we've all heard a million times from our non-emet
    friends and family: "why fear something you can't control?"

Yes emet hurts me in quite a few ways and benefits me very little, but
    there's still part of me that doesn't want to be okay with vomiting
    because.....it's icky. I realize that's a pretty weak explanation
    but it's the only one I have.

No, I think that you are misunderstanding. This is not "my argument." I was asking a question about what purpose emet serves for people. I said that for me it served a purpose of controlling my body from doing something nasty. Then, no one, particularly my father could think I was disgusting and maybe stop loving me.

I am saying what purpose does it serve for you (the generalized you) personally. Since I don't think it has a real benefit,I wonder what we gain from it.Is there anything that you (again general) like about it or think that you benefit from?

I think that the not drinking thing is a good and valid point. I had not thought of that.

Where in the world did I say "why fear something that you can't control?" I can't understand where you are getting this from.

Quote Originally Posted by chicajojobe
    Your argument is just like the same old one we've all heard a million times from our non-emet friends and family: "why fear something you can't control?"

Edited by: japa

In a living systems perspective, one member of the family with emetophobia "helps" the others, because he or she absorbs a lot of the family's anxiety into the phobia. In other words, people worry about, criticize or fuss over the emetophobe rather than their own "stuff". This actually helps the family function better as a whole.

The disadvantage is...it's at your expense.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wow, that's really interesting.

I also thought that it was interesting in Eternity's post from a while ago when she said that the phobia did certain things and served certain purposes for her in her life. That's another reason why I was wondering about this question.

So sometimes emet can serve a purpose for someone besides the phobic person.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

In a living systems perspective, one member of the family with emetophobia "helps" the others, because he or she absorbs a lot of the family's anxiety into the phobia. In other words, people worry about, criticize or fuss over the emetophobe rather than their own "stuff". This actually helps the family function better as a whole.

Well, I don't see where this thread is about applying logic to the phobia either. The purpose someone believes it has for him or her does not have to be logical. Is mine logical? If I never throw up, my dad will keep loving me? Not really.

But can't logic sometimes be applied to the phobia? Isn't that what cognitive therapy is about -- replacing illogical phobia inducing thoughts with more logical, functional thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by chicajojobe
    However, logic does not work on this phobia.

I thought, japa, that you were trying to prove a point that none of us
    can think of may benefits of emetophobia so why would we not want to
    get rid of it like was discussed in the other thread.

My mistake.

I don't think there are any benefits to a phobia. There ARE benefits to fear. Like-If we wer'ent afraid to be hit by a car, we'd walk into the street without looking. But when we decide not to EVER walkacrossthe street for fear of getting hit by a car-that is a phobia. I don't think anyone really WANTS to v*-everyone thinks it's icky. But it interferes with soooo many aspects ofOUR lives. That other thread really got me thinking. And everything I've read that Sage has said today. I want this PHOBIA gone and to be able to accept the fear without panicing. But it takes being brave. The new question is can I be that brave? Could you?
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

I think that there is a benefit when it comes to alcohol consumption. I also think that there is a benefit of people eating better so they won't get sick. Other then that I can't see how it would be a benefit. I've had this phobia for as long as I can remember just recently it's gotten worse.

With me I've been diagnosed with a lot of things, one thing is Mania. I have become Manic with this phobia. It's all I can think about...will I or won't I V* today...tomorrow...ever? But because of this Mania it's taken my mind off of other things that I would usually be manic about...including obsessing over other people to the point of almost stalking them. I guess that could also be a benefit.

There are benefits to some fears but a phobia is an irrational fear of something. Like my mom is with insects. You think I'm a crazy Emet...then you should see my mom when there's a spider in the house LoL.

Anyway I'll shut up now.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

i know wot u mean.. i can tink of a few benefits i suppose that are subjective to me:
    1. <LI>stopped me becoming bulimic when i was already anorexic (or stoped me becoming a purging anorexic)</LI>
      <LI>stopped me wasting away my liver w/ drugs and alcohol like my peers are doing</LI>
      <LI>it helped me cope w/ the past ... otherwise i may not be alive today... it was my coping mechanism when i needed it -- and altho it may be a debilitating one.. it still worked. </LI>

But it's also got objective benefits:
    1. <LI>It's allowed me, and you, to be open-minded that there are disorders like this out there.... otherwise we wud be lke all those non-emet's out there who we hate so much who say "but everone is scared of v*ing"... we know what REAL fear is like...</LI>
      <LI>it's directed me into the career path i want to do.. something with mental health.. e.g. a mental health/clinical social worker</LI>
      <LI>it's made me strong.. and hardy... both VERY good qualities to hve in this day and age</LI>
      <LI>gives us something to talk about! lol</LI>

When i first stumbled across this topic i went "PAH - like there is any".. thort twice and here we are.. i've thought of 7. wow.

Jen xxx

Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

A good thing about the phobia for me would be I don't drink
    alcohol. It's o.k. in moderation but i don't like how it makes me
    feel . If i really think about it though i never really liked
    drinking anyway phobia or not. I can't say there are any
    benifits the benifits you think you have are delusions.

I still drink and then sometimes if i drink too much the nausea is just so bad. I have spent whole nights just sitting up shaking and panicking. Its not worth it. I dont drink so much anymore. I can still drink though, i have a strong stomach for it. I just do it excessively.

x
    <font color=MAGENTA>*~Lauren~*</font>
    [b]Music fans

Actually, Japa it's very interesting to me that you ask this question. I just recently had a moment of realization with this phobia and it has a lot to do with this particular topic. The only time I remember getting a sincere hug or truley being comforted by my mom when I was a child was a time after I got sick when I was about 8. I don't think this was the exact cause for why I became emetophobic, but I do believe that it has something to do with why I hang on to it. I think that maybe it's my way of getting comfort and compassion. I consciously do not like people to comfort me much (unless it's when I am scared or have a tummy ache) I actually push people away at other times (for instance if I am having a bad day and someone tries to comfort me, I push them away and feel really uncomfortable)

So, that's my 2 cents about that. I do believe that we all probably have reasons for hanging on to this. Conscious or not. It took me 18 years to recognize this and it just came to me one day.
    \"This too shall pass\"

wow, you guys have really given me some things to think about.

I would never change the experiences and my ability to grow as a person since having emetophobia, but I belive that I will still be the same open minded person if I get rid of this phobia. No reason on this earth would ever warrant me wanting to stay as afraid as I am.

I agree with the idea that fear is a good thing, it keeps us from getting hurt, and it lets us follow our insitincts. . Rational fear, where you have a justified reason for being afraid is healthy. It is a method of survival..However, with a phobia, it makes us go to extremes, and I don't think THIS kind of irrational fear is healthy for anyone.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

It definitely keeps me fit with the amount of times I have to run away from v* on tv or n* people.

There have to be benefits. I can think of a few:

I always drive

I don't travel much (I hate travelling, regardless of the phobia)

I don't eat things I don't like

I can enjoy a drink without getting out of control with it and getting drunk

I practice proper food safety (this is so rare it's scary!)

I won't drown in a shipwreck, because I can't go on a ship

I have an excuse to get me out of doing any number of things I don't want to do

I look after my health better than I would if I didn't care about getting sick.

Yeah, it's a dumb excuse for all that, but that's what you can get out of it.

what a horrible night to have a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

Do you mean that say like the parents focus on the child's fear rather than their own issues? I'm just trying to clarify what you mean. I guess I can see this, because my family has criticized/berated me for the phobia, and I suppose taht helps them get out their frustrations, but as you say it is at my expense. Talk about dysfunctional!