Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Need help urgent! :(

Hi emetophobes. Today my sister got up in the morning as usual to go to go to university, but she complained of a sore throat and feeling "coldy", as in she felt like she had a cold. She got on the train as usual to commute to London, I was in bed at the time. Anyway, she came back home at about 10:00am which I thought was weird. She walked upstairs and went straight to bed. I went downstairs to ask my mum why she was back early and it turns out she "V"d in London! I instantly panicked and began packing my things. I decided I was going to go and stay at my grandparents house for the day and stay over. I am there now.

The thing is my sister was with me at home all weekend (on friday, she stayed round a friends house and came back Saturday). Although I haven't had any physical contact with her, I have been using the same bathroom as her, touching the same door handles, using the same remotes etc... I am terrified that I am going to catch whatever she has! She doesn't usually get sick so that makes me think it might be something bad... From what I know she "V"d once and came home, I hear that she has eaten since but that's all I know so far... I asked my mum to keep me updated if she's ill again, and I shall keep this thread updated if anything happens. My mum told me she doesn't have any other symptoms and hasn't had "D". I think I am going to stay away from home for a few days... Please tell me if it's possible I may have caught whatever she has. Help! I'm so scared right now.

Default Re: Need help urgent! :(

You're fine. She wasn't contagious until she v*ed. Noro is different than flu in that it is only airborne as long as the person is v*ing or flushing. Otherwise, it must be ingested. Since you are at your grandparents, you are not exposed at all. I don't know if your sister does have noro. It sounds like she is burning the candle at both ends. She may just have a cold or flu and is really warn down. She'll probably be fine with a few days rest. If she only v*ed once and was eating soon afterward, it probably wasn't noro.

Okay thank you for the reply. But is it possible I could of ingested contaminated faecal bacteria by using the same bathroom as her? Like using handles then touching my face or flushing the toilet? Even if it's not noro, and a mild stomach virus, I don't want it! Even if just just makes me "v" once like she did I really don't want it. I'd do anything not to get it.

Until she actually v, she was not shedding any germs. That is, if she has noro. She could just be exhausted.

What about other contagious stomach viruses? Do they work the same way as noro or can you catch it before they actually v? Sorry about the questions... I'm just freaking out right now.

They're all basically the same. None of them are airborne. All of them must be ingested. As long as you are washing your hands and keeping them off your face you should be fine. That is if your sister has noro, but it really sounds like she doesn't.

Okay, well thank you for reassuring me . My mum told me she is in bed with a sore throat and feels flu-like symptoms... It turns out she hasn't eaten anything after all. My mum is about to go home and update me on the situation. I know I'm going to be up all night worrying though... My mum is going to bleach the whole house, door handles, floors, toilets, sinks.. everything. I can't stay at my grandparents house for more than one night, but I still don't want to return home for a few days :/. I might find a cheap hotel or something...

It sounds to me like she has more "flu-like" symptoms than sv/noro symtoms. She may have v'd from sinus drainage into her stomach overnight which can cause an upset tummy. It really doesn't sound to me like it's a sv--I wouldn't be worried. Hang in there--we've all been there and it's no fun, but you'll make it through, you'll see!

Thank you Sadie1001 for the reassurance . I hope I "make it through" alright...

It doesn't sound like noro to me. It sounds like a flu-like virus or strep throat even. It is rare to v with strep though...I never have so don't worry about that. She wasn't contagious until she v. Just wash your hands frequently and try not to worry.

ok thank you ssd

Update: My sister has been in bed all day, apparently she is feeling better but is experiencing rumbling in her stomach. Since she "V"d this morning she has eaten bread and butter, a bowl of pasta and had hot chocolate and marshmallows. She says she is going in to university tomorrow. She has only "V"d once in the morning, and has not had any "D". She says she has a sore throat and feels "coldy"... My mum has bleached everything in the house from door handles to remote controls. I am still at my grandparents house... I am still worrying and I know the anxiety will stay with me tonight. I will probably be up all night too.

Norovirus is not accompanied by a sore throat. It is solely stomach/intestinal-based. So she could have probably had a cold and the nasal drip may have made her have an upset stomach. Not only that, but the train could have made her carsick. Trains have a nasty effect on people sometimes. But don't worry, it could be anything. If she does actually have something, the only way you could have gotten it was by ingesting the virus, and that would have been putting your hands in your mouth. And even then, I haven't v* in 8 years and I'm 15. You know how unsanitary I was when I was a child? Very much so! So we, as humans, naturally have strong stomach acidity and great immune systems, so unless you ingested a lot (which is extremely unlikely for any emets) you are fine.
    Remember; breathe. That and talking to oneself is a great way to calm the nerves!

Thank you DelciaO for the reply. Apparently her stomach is settled now so I hope it isn't sv and it's just due to her cold... It's always good to have people support you through these times .

Update: Apparently her stomach has completely settled, and now she just feels like she has a cold. She is up for going to university tomorrow. She is now sleeping. Does anyone have any good ideas as to what cause her to "V"? She has had no other SV symptoms... Just "V" once in the morning and that's it.

It could have been post nasal drip or just exhaustion. I don't know what her school schedule is like, but often college students bite off a lot. Other than having the regular flu, she's fine. You've made a strong start by coming here and talking to others instead of just freaking out.