Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi everyone.. sorry if this topic is a bit gross but I need some advice.. I basically have never been able to burp.. I'm sure its something to do with my emet but sometimes it is really unhelpful. Like right now, I feel so bloated and need to burp so much but I just can't. Its making me feel n* and im really miserable. Does anyone have any advice on how I could teach myself to burp? And if I could burp does that mean I would V* more easily? Please respond, I am feeling so yuck [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]Thanks..

Without sounding crude and childish drink some fizzy soda. Drink like coke, or fanta or something. Once you burp you'll feel a whole lot better.

And i have never had the problem of burping bringing on V*.

I hope you feel better

xEdited by: sweetness
    <font color=MAGENTA>*~Lauren~*</font>
    [b]Music fans
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

Hey Matchstix,

I can totally sympathise with how you are feeling! I have ALWAYS been unable to burp-ever since I was a baby it has had to go down the other way [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]. I always feel like i will v* if it goes down the wrong way, not saying it does though! Anyway good luck with trying to make yourself do it. Give me any tips.....[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Felicity x</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

x Felicity x

I have NEVERburped in my life either!! I have been slapped on the back...hung upside down...drank soda...the whole nine yards lol. It just doesn't happen for me. Sometimes I wish that it would cause it hurts to have all that air in there. But I wouldn't worry to much about it. It might just be something our bodies won't do. I usually take a tums or something along those lines and it helps me after I eat. Hope you feel better! And Good Luck [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Edited by: discochic90

burping in my opinion has nothing to do with vomiting... unless u are
    completely full and and something might come up but as long as you are
    not nseaous it is not naturaly for it to come up and it might as well
    swallow cause its food u have JUST eeaten.. (no bile).

swallow air pushing it with your tounge to the top of your mouth and to
    the bakc of your throat , from there it should travel towards yours tomach
    where it will most likely meet the air mass that needs to some out (why u
    feel bloated) and u will burp.. its very easy and nothing to be scared
    about. It actually makes u feel better all the time.

I used to be all scared about burping because I always thought it would lead to V*ing. I had to teach myself how to burp again. I don't know how I did it but drinking something that's carbonated should help. When you feel the air bubble come up your throat just GENTLY push it out. That's all I can say.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Thanks for all your responses, I sat downstairs with some coke for about an hour but nothing happened except wierd noises in my throat and no relief but more gassy [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Oh well, maybe I just can't and thats that...

wow!

I've never been able to burp! never considered it was related at all.
    strange. Fizzy drink just doesn't work for me, I can't drink it [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Yeah, I figure its something to do with not liking the sesation of something coming up?? But... lots of emets can burp and it makes them feel better too so im lost!

I'd say it sounds like your anxiety is preventing this natural body response (which has nothing to do with vomiting, btw). Nevertheless, some wires in your brain are crossed and you're telling yourself that it does. That's unfortunate, because you will indeed feel worse, and much more nauseous because your bowels will be filled with air, and they'll push on your stomach, causing discomfort. Again, this won't make you vomit either.

If you get your anxiety treated, and can be more calm in general, you will be able to burp like everybody else.

I never had a problem with this, in fact, loud, ridiculous burps run in my family with the women - lol! The funniest thing about it is that my daughter is a professional ballerina and she has the loudest, raunchiest sounding burps on earth. THEN she found a friend in her dance company when she was in high-school who was JUST AS BAD if not worse. So, as a fundraiser for the "Free the Children" organization, they sold tickets to a "burp-off" between the ballerinas and two guys on the rugby team. They made like $195 and beat the rugby team hands down. It was absolutely hilarious cuz these two girls are 100 pounds each and absolutely gorgeous and sophisticated looking.

Anyway, comic relief. Sorry about your burping problem...this too will pass though
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

LOL! Sage, that's a great story! That had to be hilarious to witness! Poor boys never stood a chance. I've always been able to burp in fact I remember learning how to make myself burp and thinking it the coolest thing ever! I too have been complimented on my guy ike burping skills lol. As already said it won't make you v*. Good luck tho! I can't imagine never burping but I did have a b/f in high school neither he nor his mom could burp and when/if they did it was a little tiny barely there burp. Maybe some people just cant? Oh, question, when you were a baby and were burped did it work then? Sorry not more helpful!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I have a friend who says her whole family can't burp and they aren't emets.. so my theory is crushed!!!

Ya - funny - my OTHER daughter, who's on a women's national baseball team CAN'T burp either. She can sometimes make a little one come out, but that's it.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.