Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Doctor won't prescribe Zofran.

I asked my doctor for Zofran for recurring nausea, and he said no, he's going to put me on Prevacid. I mean, I have been having really bad heartburn lately, but I hate the idea of that because less stomach acid means less acid to kill off things that cause fp*. Is it worth taking the risk? I'm a vegetarian and I always cook my eggs very thoroughly and I wash my fruits and veggies like a mad woman. I also don't eat out.
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

Default Re: Doctor won't prescribe Zofran.

I'm not sure what fp is (haven't yet gotten familiarized with every single shortening of certain words here).
    Well, I don't have any experience with Zofran but on personal experience with stomach acid, I would love to have less on me. I don't think there will be much a threat with just some less stomach acid.

fp=Food poisoning. I've just heard some places that having a lack of stomach acid makes you more prone to it, that's what I'm scared of. :/

Oooh okay. I'm honestly not sure of how acid works with that, I do apologize. ;; Hopefully someone with more expertise can come along.

Yeah, there are some studies that show an increased risk particularly of c diff for people on long-term use of proton pump inhibitors ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22525304 ). I don't know what Prevacid is off the top of my head. If it's like Nexium, something that makes your stomach produce less acid, then that's one of those drugs; if it's more like Tums, Maalox, Gaviscon, Mylanta (etc) those just (more or less) neutralize the acid that is already there mostly in your esophagus, so it doesn't affect the immunity so much.

C diff, however, isn't really food poisoning. Moreover, it pretty much only causes d.

Honestly, if your n is coming from acid problems, then I think you should take the medicine if buffering agents don't work for you. If your n is not because of acid, then I wouldn't take it. Maybe try and see if it helps. I don't mean to alarm you but I thought I should be honest.

Yep, it's exactly like Nexium. Thanks for the info on the C diff. I do have reflux, but I get nausea unrelated to that. I feel like my doctor never believes me.

I would give the Prevacid a chance. I took that for constant ageda (indigestion) and it did help me. If it doesn't make you feel better then I would ask again about the zofran. Feel better and good luck

I took Nexium for a long period of time and it helped the acid reflux, but I still had nausea. :c
    I wish I had a doctor in my family who could prescribe me anything I wanted!

You're not going to get c diff unless you're on antibiotics or recently spent time in a hospital. I had it once and it was awful, but it's not something that just passes from person to person in the general public.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I had it too and it was caused by an antibiotic for a tooth infection. It lasted 3 weeks if pure D.

I would take the medicine for acid reflux. I have it too and it's horrible to deal with. Honestly though, I don't know where you are. The best pill I found was generic Zantac 150 at Walmart. It's the equate brand. I don't know the health risks but I also take Dramamine because I can't get a prescription either.

Hope you start feeling better. I was everything like a mad woman too and when I have to cook meat for my family I don't touch it.

I use Dramamine as an antiemetic too. I'm down to one old Zofran, only for emergency. I just hope Dramamine is enough to work just in case....x