Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Fluoxetine

Default Fluoxetine

Hello everyone!

So nice to know I'm not the only one that thinks the way I do!

I have just been prescribed fluoxetine for my anxiety about being s*** and OCD (constant hand washing)! However as I do and I'm sure most of you do I read the side effects, now I'm worrying about them making me s*** which is pretty ironic that they are making me worry!

Has anyone got any advice or also been prescribed fluoxetine?

Thanks!

Default Re: Fluoxetine

Where have you been reading the Fluoxetine can cause vomiting. Fluoxetine can cause nausea which is common for many drugs that we take. According to wikipedia, 22% of people who were on the drug complained of nausea, however 9% who has a placebo also complained of nausea. This means that in all probability 13% of those who take the drug will get nausea, however this doesnt take into account that people can feel nausea from lack of eating, tiredness etc, so take another 5-8% of that. The statistics are that 5-8% of people geninely get nausea from taking this drug.
    One of the things about being emetephobic is that we tend to have a high level of tolerence to nausea that non-emets. And with those statistics is is very rare for non-emet to get nausea from this drug, and it would be absolutely unheared of for an emetephobic to get nausea from this.
    I would say that you will be fine taking them. However in the extremely (and i mean next to no chance at all) unlikely event that you do get nausea, just eat little and often and the nausea will pass. Also like all medications, once you start taking them within a few days, your body gets used to them and any side effects do go away.

i've been on prozac....and generic fluotine (sp?) for many years. i've stopped and started several times and never had any side effects either starting or stopping the drug. excpet for some pretty crazy dreams the first week or so everything went just fine. it doestake a few weeks to take effect so don't get discouraged. it really has been a life saver for me.....keeps me from being so obsessive about everything.....i work, have a social life...pretty normal most of the time. i do have a bad day every now and then......but not nearly as bad as i was without the prozac.

give it a try......i doubt very much that it will make you n......just give it a chance
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I just started it too about a week ago. I'm a little n* tonight but no other side effects.
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

I took it for quite awhile. Didn't make me feel n* at all. And it really helped my anxiety.

I take it too and never had any v with it and it did make me feel less anxious and helped with my OCD.

I've taken it for years. Never had any n. Really helped control my migraines, weirdly cured my lifelong idiopathic constipation, and was weight neutral/slightly decreased my appetite.

I took it for about 9 months and only felt *n right at the beginning when I first started taking it. It wasn't bad *n and stopped within a week or so. I did like the drug to begin with, but then other unpleasant side effects became apparent... Terrible insomnia, literally nothing could make me sleep, lost my ability to orgasm and I could feel nothing, emotionally I mean, it was like my emotions had just stopped working. I took them for depression so although the depressing thoughts had gone, all over emotions had gone too. It was not a nice way to live. I quit them cold turkey in the end and that is when the dreadful *n and shakes started. No *v just awful, constant *n. It was worth it though to get off of those pills.

I was on Fluoxetine for a short period of time and it put me into a bit of a "fog" but did not make me feel sick to my stomach at all. The only reason I stopped taking it is that I couldn't sleep at all while on it. After 6 days straight with only 30-45 minutes of sleep every couple of days, my doctor decided to switch me to Buspirone, which I've been doing great on.

I wouldn't worry about being sick on this medication. Almost every medication lists n and possible v as a side effect because if just 1 person in a study of 1,000 people gets sick while taking it, they have to list it. Even if that person got sick for other reasons completely unrelated to the drug. Good luck and I hope it helps you!

I took fluoxetine for two days and had a severe reaction know as serotonin syndrome because it mixed with St Johns Wort (an obvious and stupid error on my doctors behalf). Basically what happened was I had a psychotic episode, severe dizziness, abdominal cramping and fatigue. I never vomited but I felt a tad nauseous on and off (probably because I barely ate though - my appetite vanished).
    It was honestly the worst experience of my life, but I am only telling you to give you another perspective. I do not intend to scare you, as my experience was down to a mix of different drugs most likely, not just the fluoxetine on its own.

I would not concern yourself with this, but please tell your doctor EVERYTHING you are taking that could possibly interfere. You just never know. Best of luck, I'm sure you will be fine but if you experience anything worrying, go to the doctor or hospital and get it checked out.

i just started this 2 days ago...my first day i didnt eat very much and had slight n*, but yesterday i ate throughout the day and i had NO side effects yesterday. i was very scared to take them also...had an anxiety attack about it. but i took the pills into my therapists office with me, and she helped me take my first one. give it a go!!! you will feel so proud of yourself!!

i've been taking it for about a month, and haven't noticed any side affects i haven't noticed much improvement yet, but according to my psych thats because i'm not up to the right dose yet

good luck!
    feel free to check out my tumblr; Em's Flying- laughing in the face of anxiety
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3

I have never had any problems with it!! It helps me a lot!!!

I just switched to prozac almost a week ago and I have felt no side effects at all.

Keep in mind that every single medication out there has to list all potential side effects, no matter how rare they may occur. Doesn't mean that they are going to happen to you.

Hi i use to be on fluoxetine, and it does not have any side effects at all