Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Working with children fears and a bit of OT general anxiety

Hi everyone,

I'm seeking some reassurance as I'm due to spend this coming week working with children after not having worked with children for approx 8 months and I've been told that you build up a certain immunity to illness from young children like say if you worked in a hospital. I have really bad general anxiety anyway particularly when it comes to work and I have had it for my last few previous jobs. Monday will be my first day at the job also so more anxieties.

What particularly worries me with this phobia and work (about from getting ill from the children or being around ill kids and risk or picking up bugs) is that I get ill when I'm meant to be going to work that/the next day and letting people down and getting sacked or whatever. I used to have such bad panic attacks leading up to an early shift at a hotel I used to work at that I would call in near enough every week saying I couldn't come in, and eventually I quit. This was a pt a time when I was very depressed but early mornings and long days still make m very anxious and both of these will be the case for this coming week. Does anyone else have this worry and have any tips to keep calm? I know it's yet mother illogical thing!

i don't want to jinx it but my anxiety surrounding the phobia has been very low since I returned home a week ago but I'm worrying that this will completely blow everything out of proportion. I know that it's all about hygiene to prevent it but is there anything else I can do? And anyone else working with children who can share similar worries or reassuring experiences that would be great.

i also feel that early mornings and long days results in tiredness which means more susceptibility to getting sick and feeling dreadful and more anxious. Any one who can help me out with either the general anxiety related to work and the anxiety I'm experiencing regarding th children and getting ill, I would really appreciate it!

Default Re: Working with children fears and a bit of OT general anxiety

I am guessing that working with kids is something you really love and want to do. Take solace in the fact that noro has long passed through the UK.
    The kids have all probably already had it. They may have some sniffles, but probably not noro. Take normal protections and you should be okay.

My passion is not working wit children however my jobs have included teaching dance classes to children before so I think my intended career will always involve working with children. I am really desperate for money so I can't afford to turn the money down. My mum thinks it will be good for me to not avoid situations out of fear.

Thank you for your reassurance though, I think talking about it helps me a lot.

I'd imagine it is pretty hard to get a job in dance. My daughter is in kinderdance and her teacher loves teaching the really little kids. I can see how someone would enjoy it. Your mom is right. You can't avoid living and happiness because of fear.

Hi there,

I agree with your mother 110% if you give in to fear eventually it will run your life. That isn't to say that you wont have bad days where the fear wins, but you must continue to go to battle even after such a day. I believe phobias are a lot like addictions...it may never be something you are "cured" of but it is certainly something you can learn to manage. I work around kids a lot both as a volunteer in a hospital and teaching teenagers with special needs. Every so often I catch something but I think it is just as likely to have come from the bus or the gym as the kids. My mother works with preschoolers and I'll be honest she hasn't managed to develop the magical immune system you would expect but while she has caught so many yucky viruses in the past three years that she jokingly refers to her kids as "walking biohazards in light up sneakers" even SHE hasn't caught a stomach virus from them yet.
    As for dealing with the fear: I wash my hands as often as possible and better yet when I feel anxious I think through the worst and have a game plan for how I will deal with it. Included in the process I remind myself why it is vital to "make it through".

You can handle it!!!
    ~M
    p.s My little sis teaches dance and as I mentioned I teach a class as well...I have noticed that parents are much more likely to keep a sick kid home from an activity than school...

I work with young children everyday...I teach. Remember that you can only catch something like noro through ingesting particals of v* or d*. If you have to come into contact with d*, wear gloves. If you love working with them, you should do so. Don't let this fear win. I don't. And I have NEVER caught anything from school. When I have caught something it has been when we were on Christmas break, vacation, etc. I do occasionally catch a cold from school, but never a sv.