Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: E. Coli?

--May be Gross at times, but not necessarily graphic--

Okay. My cat, Sugar, must have had diarrhea (Sorry) or something, and it is still on her rear end. I am not sure, but she could be getting fecal matter everywhere (sorry again!). I know that cats eat meat, so they carry E. Coli bhacteria, right?

My mother has tried cleaning the cat up, but the cat just hisses and does not let her clean her. She asked me to help, but I am way too afraid, for some reason. I am afraid I'll get sick if I touch anything my cat has been on. How big is the possibility of this happening?

Yes, I know this is stupid, but I am afraid.

Elizabeth

I don't know about the possiblity of E.Coli in cat feces but I would suggest staying away from fecal matter. Cats and Dogs have different immune systems then us so there is no telling what could be in their poop. I would say that if you do end up having to clean the cat then make sure you wash your hands before doing anything else.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Yes, I do agree. You should always wash your hands after touching anything like that. Heh, I wash my hands after I touch pretty much anything anyway.

Danny T.

I agree as well, however animals (cats in general) are very independent so I'm sure the cat would eventually clean itself. But just to make it environmentally sanitary, try wearing some gloves if you have to. Gain the cats trust; pet it, and comfort it until it purrs then softly clean it up with a wet washrag.

As for E-coli, I don't think the cat would have it unless it has recently consumed anything with the parasite in it. Otherwise your cat is just probably suffering with an upset stomach.

Thank you for the replies. I know it was a stupid question, anyways, but I am more concerned because she went all around the house with fecal matter on the rear end, and afraid she got it everywhere, so I might touch something without thinking about it, and forget to wash my hands. :\

Elizabeth

I am a veterinary technician, and I am in contact with animal poop all the time, and I have never once gotten sick. Just be sure to wash your hands that's all you have to do. If the diarrhea continues, make sure you take your kitty to the doctors!!!