Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Gluten-free causing stomach upset?

I am not gluten free and don't have a gluten allergy. However my coworker brought in gluten free cornbread cupcakes with raspberry frosting and I had one. I've never eaten anything gluten free before. Now I'm bloated, burping and kind of n*. My stomach isnt cramping but its painful every now and then. I can't tell if it is gas. Has anybody ever had this reaction to gluten free stuff before? I'm trying not to panic and think I'm ill... I'm still terrified of SV even though the season is winding down...!!

Default Re: Gluten-free causing stomach upset?

Anything thats new in someones diet that they have never had before can leave you feeling gassy and bloated. Drink lots of water to ensure it is washed down.

I have never tried anything like that but Gas X might help.

Yes. I went gluten free for awhile a few years back and at first, I felt nauseous with moderate stomach upset. Your body is not used to it.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

I have eaten gluten free food and generally I find I feel less bloated and full afterwards. Although I have always suspected I am slightly gluten intolerant.

However the previous posts are correct, you may just not be used to the food. Although I would think eating ONE cupcake wouldn't do anything, I suppose if your lactose intolerant and drink a glass of milk the same thing would happen despite the relatively small amount ingested. All just depends on your body.

Gas X doesn't seem to work for me anymore. I wonder if because over the years I've used it so much. I still have heartburn-y/gas/uncomfortableness so I took a Zantac and hope that will help. Does anybody have any other recommendations for gas meds?

I always drink something fizzy, which totally sounds counter-intuitive, but it helps me-- makes me burp . Baking soda stirred in water helps, too, if it's acid.