Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Emetophobic from allergies

Hi all, I've just discovered this site about ten minutes ago! I've been terrified of being sick my whole life, because since I was 2 the majority of times I've been sick have been as a result of life-threatening allergic reactions, so over the years I ended up associating N* and V* with the same fear as of imminent death!! I know it's ridiculous and trying to explain it to people was really hard, even my close friends say "but it can help, why can't you just force yourself to be sick?".

I had no idea it was a problem lots of people have, or even that there was a name for it, and that there is support out there. I don't drink (rare for an 18 year old!) because of it, I wash my hands all the time and get very OCD when cooking, I don't eat shellfish and I've started getting nervous about eating meat and the thought of being around people being sick terrifies me - I'm starting a nursing degree in September and I really want to be a good nurse, so I really need to beat this.

I was wondering if there were any other allergy sufferers on this site? I met one family on a charity walk whose 9 year old girl has anaphylaxis too and also is scared of being sick, it was amazing to meet people who understood!

So I guess this is a bit of a vent and a cry for help! How can I get over this??

Thanks,
    Imogen :) x

Default Re: Emetophobic from allergies

My allergies are not that dire, but I am allergic to a number of things - all trees except for cottonwooods, wheat, chocolate, dairy, dark colored sodas, caffeine, etc. Most of my allergies cause rhino symptoms, but there seems to be very little I'm not allergic to. However, I can't blame emet on that. My emet started when I saw my aunt v shortly before dying. I also associate v with death - if not my own death. Since coming here, my fear is greatly reduced. There is hope for a cure. It may take awhile, but it can happen. Many people have found cbt and/or medication helpful. there are even some nurses and medical professionals on the site.

Default Re: Emetophobic from allergies

There is a member here who had an episode with anaphylaxis that she thinks started her phobia, I won't out her, but it had something to do with peanut butter and she can share her story if she would like....it seems like a trauma plus something that might cause v*, so it would be a good candidate to kickstart a phobia. That's all you need, an association of something, anything with v* that is more traumatic than the average person (who mostly already hate v*) and then with the right combination of genetics and environment (we assume) you could be off to the races. Do you know your allergens so you can not have that experience again?