Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I've got a really evil cold at the moment (Very bizzare given the current weather but whatever) and I was wondering if anyone knew ways of beating it other than medicines, cos I get nervous about them. I got no sleep last night, and I'm worried that if I get too run down I might be more open to catching viruses and things. Anyone got any ideas?

I had a cold a couple of weeks ago, so I feel your pain. I just had vitamin C and ate chicken noodle soup, tried resting when possible. My Mom swears by Zicam. Also the Vick's Vaporub might help so you can sleep and breath. I hope you feel better soon! Mine was worst for about 3 days then it gradually went away also I wasn't able to sleep very well either. Hope this helps! get well!

PS I drank a LOT more water than usual and was peeing constantly but it really did help!Edited by: SimplyMe
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Airborne. They're little tabs you either suck on or one kind is like an effervescent thing you put in water and drink. It's supposed to shorten the life of a cold, and prevent you from getting one. I send them with my husband when he has to fly. Also I've heard zinc is good when you have a cold. In the US we have Cold-eeze cough drops and they taste horrible, but I've heard they work good. These things tend to have echinacea as an ingredient as well.

I agree with the vicks to help you sleep, either that or Niquil... that stuff knocks you out. I don't know if you have these things in the UK, but good luck getting rid of the cold. Summer colds tend to just hang on...Edited by: 2jo2
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Ugh... I had one a few weeks ago and I must say that summer colds are the worst! At least in the wintertime you can snuggle up under the covers and drink hot chocolate and soup!!! It's a littlemore difficultthis time of the year (esp. considering it's been in the high 90's (farenheit) here inKentucky.

The best thing you can do to get through a summer cold is to drink plenty of liquids andfind a cool place to sip on some hot soup or tea and if you're like me andit'sjusttoo hot for those,try a popsicle or something cold and soothing.

Good luck :O)
    ~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

i take Zicam too.. and ecanacia (sp?) they're natural, so not quite
    like medication.. um, also i just try to get my mind off the cold, rest
    a lot, definitely relax, and just wait to feel better..

Quote Originally Posted by confusedgirl
    i take Zicam too.. and ecanacia (sp?) they're natural, so not quite
    like medication.. um, also i just try to get my mind off the cold, rest
    a lot, definitely relax, and just wait to feel better..

hahahahah i was thinking the same thing about echinasia.. i was going
    to write spelling next to it too anyway, it works! along with
    vitamin c and LOTS of water

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

I had one two weeks ago. I hate medicine. Not going to take it.. Hehe. Took some effort but I hid it from my parents. Convinced them it was allergies (it felt a littlelike allergies anyway in the beginning lol) and got away with it. Er..Lets see.. I did absolutely nothing at all..nothing out of the ordinary. (Yes, I'm a danger to myself) But generally, just rest. I think that's the best thing to do. (I should do what I preach lol..) Edited by: wing
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

Thank you so much guys, I will try all those things! I'm desperate at this point!

Vitamin C, echinacea, vitamins, grape seed extract.

If your throat is irritated, gargle with salt water. If your sinuses are congested, get a sinus rinse or saline drops. Drink lots of water.

Hope you feel better soon. My daughter and I just had awful colds recently. The good thing is that they didn't last long. Feel better.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Great advice dudes, didn't wake up coughing at all last night. Cold seems to be disappearing *crossed fingers*

echinacea loses effectiveness with use. Astragalus and fresh, raw garlic will end any cold.

Nothing works better than raw garlic. Forget pills , they do not work.

what a horrible night to have a curse.

Raw garlic... interesting... Perhaps it would stop me from coughing cos doing so would spread garlicky breath around the room. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]