Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default OT: Has anyone here chipped a tooth before?

Hello to all!

I am just thinking/excessively worrying right now about something that happened a few days ago. I was eating a cinnamon roll with a fork and absent-mindedly surfing the internet when out of nowhere, I bit down on the fork really hard.

Immediately I panicked, worrying that all of my front teeth would be gone if I looked, but nothing appeared to be wrong and thought I had lucked out, until the last few days that I have been experiencing a lot of discomfort near my molars and I was too scared to really investigate it, but tonight finally had to face that there may be a crack in one.

It is very uncomfortable to chew, on either side and just miserable all around, so of course, looks like it's the dentist for me even though it has been years as I'm terrified of going. And I have taken ibuprophen and used some anesthetic on it but the overall discomfort is not going away. Has anyone done this before, or chipped a tooth some other way, and if so, what kind of dental procedure and treatment did it require?
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

Default Re: OT: Has anyone here chipped a tooth before?

I chipped one of my front teeth playing football. My dentist just filed it down. It didn't hurt and was no big deal.

Many years ago I broke a molar on a piece of bone in a fishcake. the dentist I was seeing at the time wanted to extract the tooth, but I said no because I didn`t trust her, I thought that she was too keen to pull out teeth because she was too lazy to repair them. I went & saw aother dentist, & he filled it & it was fine. A couple of years ago the filling broke, & I had the tooth crowned.

Thank you both! I hope it isn't too serious and will only require a filling or a crown. It will be a few weeks until I get an appointment... hopefully there will be an opening sooner. It is definitely going to become a burden soon, I think. It is more annoying and at times painful today. Bleh! I hate teeth problems.
    "This is impossible."

I chipped my right front tooth when I was swinging on my hands between two counters and fell on my face (I was like 12). The filling, since it's in a corner, falls out every few years so I have to have it redone.

Turns out I have to get a crown and several fillings now in a few weeks. More pressing and maybe explaining the pain/discomfort, my wisdom teeth are coming in. :/

So now my question shifts, haha... those who have had them taken out, is it as horrible as it sounds?
    "This is impossible."

Hi Sunny!

This happened to me while eating a piece of chicken a few years back. I actually have a major fear of needles in addition to being an emet so doctors in general and dentist specifically scare me...however, I have recently conquered my fear of dentists!!! I had left the chipped tooth for three years before fixing it and it was a BREEZE!! Didn't feel the injection and the procedure took twenty minutes! Go get it checked out. Definitely worth it! You don't want that sucker getting infected.