Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Well, someday, I want to go to another country, but I am concerned at the risk of bacterial and viral contamination in water and stuff. I do not have to go anywhere where I need to worry now, but I kind of wanted to go down to somewhere in Mexico, like Cancun, or something, but now, I cannot even imagine going there, because it is on the high-risk list for travel illness. Not that all people that go there get it, but 30-50% do, during a 1 to 2 week stat, according to the CDC.

So, like, if I went to Mexico, would I have to bring some kind of boiling appliance with me? Also, if I went to a major resort, do you think the water and food might be safe there, like they might have their own water purification system? Because, that would be totally bad if someone wanted to go to a vacation spot like Cancun and Traveler's D* ruined it?

I know all people have to do is boil the water and avoid food that seems off or something, as far as foodbourne illness.

Most of Western Europe is safe, Canada, USA (Where I live), Australia, New Zealand, Northern Europe, and Japan are all low-risk. So, I could go to the UK or Canadaand not have to worry about anything, right? I know that is a very stupid question and I am too paranoid.

There is a little spot in Southwestern Europe that is intermediate risk, all of Russia is, some parts of South America, parts ofsouthern Europe, the Carribean,and southern Africa is. Have any of you ever went to these countries/parts of the world, and gotten sick? How big do you think the risk is, considering where these places are?

I am definetely not going to the high risk areas. Most of Asia, the Middle East, Central, and South America are. I got all this info from the CDC.

I know this is really stupid, but I brought this up because I have had several dreams lately about me going to another country and getting sick.

I am the same way. Actually, a lot of people won't go away where the probability of getting sick is high. Even non-emets. It's very normal. Mexico is pretty bad, most people get sick down there if your not very very careful You have to beware of things like IceCubes, salad, certain fruits, and seafood. Actually it's a lot safer to eat at Americanized places such as Hard Rock Cafe or Even McDonalds. The food hadling and water purification just isn't the same. Not to say you cannot get poisoned from food in your own area...but again, the probability is quite high. I say, go to Hawaii or Bahamas. Still a tropical place, but they are very americanized (Hawaii being a state and all and their water is purified. It's expensive but if you can afford it and want to be safe, it might be worth the money !!Edited by: snowangel

Yeah, I do not think anyonewould want to go those places. But, there are still people who go to those places. Scary. I guess the fear of nasty bacterial infections does not scare them. Or maybe they have to go there because they have family there.

And most places that have disease epidemics (like those carried byflies and insects and food & water comtamination)are not developed and there really would not be many reasons for someone to go there, other than visiting family or studying something. *shrugs*

I want to go to Hawaii. I am just afraid to fly. Especially over the ocean. But, I should not let a fear of flying prevent me from going places I want to go. Really, nobody should. After all, you only live once. And, the good thing about Hawaii, is even though it is Americanized, you can still learn a lot about culture there because it is not completely like America.

Even though that article or whatever that I did read did include places like the Bahamas in intermediate risk (and it was from a reliable source), it DOES seem like a safe spot to go. I mean, it is very popular to go to, so I'd go there. I'd just be a little careful.Someone should be fine there.

I know there are other things I should consider when going somewhere, but mostly, as long as it is safe as far as those bacteria and free of a bunch of disease carrying insects or anything like that, and there is something interesting to do there, I'll go, as long as it is easy to get there.

Elizabeth

Edited by: youngemet222

I worry about the same thing. My husband and I actually had a trip to Mexico booked, but we had to cancel it because I was so scared of getting sick. We ended up going to Las Vegas instead, but we lost our $200 deposit because we cancelled. I would love to go someday, but I am not ready to face the risk yet.

you know whats funny... i drank water in puerto rico, barbados (both
    carribean) and ireland and i didnt get anything. after drinking the
    water in ireland for almost 5 days, my friends aunt says to me "you
    know the water here isnt that good?" i almost freaked. i dont think ill
    ever go to mexico.. ever.

my godmother has been there many times, and shes never gotten sick.
    there are these drops you put in the water that purifies it. also
    boiling. im not sure what the ddrops are called but im sure you can
    find them down there.

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

also, if you go to mexico, my godmother said to brush your teeth with
    bottled water. sounds funny, but she never got sick. and she has a weak
    stomach

Yeah, I know to boil water and stuff, but I am so forgetful that I'd probably accidentally drink some of the water there (not bottled). I actually brush my teeth with bottled water sometimes. And I am in a very populated, clean area, with a good water filtering/cleaning plant. But, I think itwas because,the plant does something, like, once a year and the say there might be rust in the water or something (I do not rememberwhat they do, but they leave a notice on the door)O.o

I am surprised she said that about the water in Ireland. I mean, she probably knows what she is talking about more than I do, but I do not understand why Ireland would have bad water. And the Caribbean, I would be a little careful, but not overly afraid. I'd probably just take bottled water just to be safe, even if the water is perfectly fine there.

Actually, I read another article that says that only several of the Carribean Islands are intermediate risk. But, many of the more developed ones are low risk. I guess it just matters from the source you get it from. Different sources will probably have generally the same information, with a few differences. I guess. I do not know which one to believe. On the map from the CDC, it has ALL of the Carribean Islands in red, meaning high-risk. But, then they saysome high-risk placesmight have changed recently to intermediate or low, and they did not change the map. Maybe it is an older map. Theyalso say Japan is Low-risk, but then they have it on the map in yellow, or intermediate risk.So, I guess it has changed. I want to go to Disneyland Tokyo!=\

If you go to a "resort" their water is fine to drink.

I am the same way...I would love to travel but I get scared to be taken out of my comfort zone. I feel that if I am going to get sick, I would much rather be at home in my "comfort zone".

Christine

Just always ask for bottled water. You can take probiotics to help your intestinal flora to work properly and combat any bacteria you come into contact with. You can also ask your doctor ahead of time for Cipro (antibiotic) which you can take at the first sign of diarhea if you think you've got bad bacteria from traveling. I just always figured I wouldn't eat much when I travel outside the country. (which kinda sucks, but I don't even eat much when I go on vacation in the U.S.)
    \"This too shall pass\"

yea i was so panicked when i was in barbados that i lived off ramen
    noodles and anything canned. the food there, and in ireland was
    TERRIBLE

I also got some sorta pills from my doctor before I went to Mexico, I had to take em for 5 days before I left and during the trip. I'm sorry I dont remember what they were (it was 20 years ago). But I didnt get sick. Just make sure to drink bottled water and drinks. Even washing fruit with water can get ya. So watch drinks with fruit in them.

I hope you plan a great trip and have fun!

--Kim

Really? The water in Ireland is a problem?

I thought it was considered drinkable.

I always get sick no matter where I go. LoL I guess it's not much help...me posting that here and all.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I know how you feel. I have traveled all over the world and there
    are some places much scarier than others. Here's a few things to
    do.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use bottled water. Make sure the top is
    opened for the first time. (Some places actually refill water
    bottles.) Use bottled water for brushing your teeth. NEVER
    EVER use ice in anything.

Eat fruits that you peel yourself. Yes, watermelon and berries
    may look tempting. Enjoy those at home. While away, bananas
    and oranges are a better bet.

Breads are safe. Cooked food are also a better bet. Yes
    salad is healthy, but not on holiday outside of the states.
    Europe is much less questionable and I have had tons of salads
    there. Never even consider salad in Mexico or
    Africa. You have no clue what they washed the veggies in, or if
    they even did. Again it all goes back to the water supply.
    Food buffets are another source of illness. Usually breads, fruit
    you can peel and baked goods are okay.

The thing with the water is the parasites and bacteria that our bodies
    are not accustomed to. My guess is travelers to our country
    probably have problems also. Of course, not as bad in developing
    places.

To help you, take acidophilus or probiotics with you like Shiva
    suggested. It keeps the normal flora in your gut relatively
    balanced and should ward of traveler's D.

Lastly, never in your wildest dreams should you purchase any food from
    a street vendor no matter how enticing it might be.

Most of these measures should keep you well.

No go make yourself some reservations.

Stella

Very well said Stella. You mentioned things that I hadn't even thought about. (and trust me, I think a lot about it) One thing to remember is that if you can get your doctor to prescribe antibiotics (to have just incase, even though it's best to avoid them) that you make sure you are definitely taking the probiotics, then. The antibiotics will kill off your helpfull bacteria as well as the bad stuff. Realistically speaking, if you begin probiotics a couple of weeks before you leave and continue them through your trip, following everything Stella wrote about what foods to eat and what to avoid, you should be fine. Remember though, if you do travel and end up getting a case of diarhea or something, do not panic and assume that you've picked up bacteria along the way. Our digestive systems are very sensitive and traveling itself is enough to throw them off a little.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Well, I myself have
    never been outside of Canada, but even here, I know that *I* am very
    sensitive to types of waters. For example, even if I am within my own
    Province, I cannot, ever, drink well water. Strange, huh? So my main
    advice would be drink bottled water, even for brushing your teeth,
    thats what I have to do when I'm away. I.E: My grade 8 grad trip was 2
    nights 3 days in Ottawa. Even though its not an exotic place, I took
    precautions. I used BOTTLED water to brush my teeth, that was the only
    water I drank (bottled) and used MOUTH WASH whenever I could.

My Uncle is going to Mexico for a wedding in January, and he gets
    Travelers D* verrry easily. The doctor prescribed him (already told him
    he was going to) a medication that would control his intestines while
    there, just in case.

Also remember what Stella9 said...eat things that are properally cooked and peel-able.

Also...instead of focusing on the side effects, think of the wonderful
    times that await anyone who ventures to these amazing areas of our
    world =P

*laura

PS: If you know the show Amazing Race, just think of them..they are
    careful and HARDLY get sick...and think of the places they go!!</font>

I will NEVER take anything from a street vendor, even if it is around here. Like, those guys that walk around the park with ice cream in a little metal cart or those guys that have tacos in a cart. I mean, I am sure it is fine, but what if whatever keeps the ice cream or tacos from spoiling fails?

And the food buffets... well, I am even afraid, like many emets, to go to them, even in the place I live in. But, when I go to Las Vegas, on July 31st, I'll probably eat in a buffet there. And, the thing about buffets that scares me the most is not even really food poisoning. It is because people get food from the same containers and you do not know who came in there before you and there might be someone who accidentally forgets to use the scoopers and utensils and touches the food. I have never seen that happen, but you would never know. O.O

I wonder if anyone who has actually been living in some place like Mexico all their life ever has any trouble with the water. I mean, Mexico has A LOT of the common parasites found to cause illness in the other high-risk areas. I mean, there is freaking E. Coli in the water! Do they just build up a resistance to E.Coli?

I sometimes do not enjoy living inthe USA, but when I think of it, we do not have to deal withall those diseases likemalaria, Typhoid Fever, Yellow Fever, Meningitis (like that place in Africa called the "Meningitis Belt"),Cholera, and other stuff life that. I am not saying nobody gets Meningitis here, but there is a much bigger risk there.

Will I have to do much if I go to the low-risk places in Europe or Canada? I mean, their water should be just as clean as ours because they are very industrialized and developed, right? I will always take bottled water with me, anyways.

As they say, Cook it, Boil it, Broil it, or Peel it, or just forget it! (Or something similar to that!!! I'm not sure if that is the exact saying.)

Hey, I've been to two carribean places. I went to Cancun, Mexicoand I've been to the Dominican Republic. When I went to the DR, I was taking acidophilus to help regulate my digestion. I never got anything there but constipation (lol) because of all the cheese I was eating! Hahaha. OMG tho, the food was so damn good.I was there for two weeks too. And in Cancun, I didn't get sick at all. I ate from a buffet of awesomely good food every day, and I brushed my teeth with the sink water in our resort hotel room. I didn't get sick at all. Actually, I think I also got constipation there, too. I did drink a lot of beer and daquiris and margaritas... I wonder if alcohol kills any bacteria?? Rule of thumb anywhere you go outside of the united states, only drink bottled water, never have ice, and stay away from the beef, seafood, and anything that you can get off the streets. Don't miss out on these wonderfully beautiful and fun places. :-) I had the time of my life.

&lt;3 Allie
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.