Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default To tense to eat because of anxiety HELP

Hi all, it's been quite some time since I've posted here. My emet and anxiety is driving me up the wall lately.
    Last night I was to anxious to eat dinner, I took some Valium and went to bed. This morning I'm hungry but still really anxious about eating. I'm scared more of panicking I think than any bugs or fp. I know that if I eat I will probably feel better. But I'm so tense and anxious. I feel like I can't swallow. Does anyone have any tips?

Default Re: To tense to eat because of anxiety HELP

Take some real deep breaths....google alternating nostril breathing...it is very very effective. Also, trying to picture the panic leaving your body and relax every muscle in your body. I have been doing the alternating nostril breathing and it was worked for me. I also do it at night to help fall asleep ( there is bit of a technique for that). I suggest googling it! Hope that helps, im here if you need more help

Hi, the advice above is perfect! So tenderly delivered too! I can only add that when I'm feeling very vulnerable/anxious, my doc advised me to suck on a sweet (or a teaspoon upside down). She said it works nearly every time because it reminds our subconcious of being an infant and completely cocooned and protected. I tried the sweet but not the spoon one. Wrap yourself up in a blanket and try to rest. Hope you feel better soon.

I feel like that a lot, and I usually suck on a hard candy... it helps with the swallowing and is distracting from the anxiety.

Yeah you just need something to break the anxiety cycle, usually involving distraction. Try finding something really lovely to distract you, like looking at a lovely picture of a cute puppy! or shopping for nice handbags on ebay! Just kidding, but the more treat-making the distraction usually the better for me these days. I bet a puzzle would work too, or crochetting! its so addictive in a weird RSI type of way. Probably not the best if trying to distract whilst attempting to sleep.