Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Medication Therapy

Hi. I'm new here. I've lived with severe emetophobia my whole life. I'm 28 and it just get's worse every year. Especially with having 3 children.

Has anyone ever tried medication for therapy?
    I've been having a hard time finding information online about it. There are plenty of medications for social anxiety. But my phobia is what is ruining my life.
    Which ones are more specific in treating phobias?
    And has anyone ever had any success or at least relief to where they can live more normally using medication therapy?

My phobia is way too bad for me to even think of exposure therapy.
    I'm one where it DEFINITELY would make me worse and wouldn't help. But am desperate to get better.
    My two oldest children JUST went through a horrid stomach virus and I was useless to them and ended up in the ER myself for being so worked up and my blood pressure. I just had a baby 4 weeks ago, so I couldn't handle it even more.

So I'm just curious about the medication option.
    Currently I'm on Klonopin. Which works great for my anxiety. But nothing touches the emetophobia. I've been on a low dose of Lexapro before but the side effects were horrid and it didn't help much with anything.

Any information on the topic would be greatly appreciated. I'm miserable at the moment. ugh

Default Re: Medication Therapy

Emetophobia is a part of your anxiety. They're not two separate things. You can't have emetophobia without anxiety

And that said, it's a matter of trial and error. What works for one person might not work for you, and the therapies that work for some people don't work for others. Finding the right medication and therapy is a very personal journey.

Effexor worked for me in addition to CBT. In my opinion, if you're on meds for anxiety, you should be in therapy as well since I see meds as somewhat of a bandaid, but thats just me.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I take cymbalta and I DEFIANTLY noticed a difference when I got off of it.

I definitely don't think meds are the cure, but they have helped me so much. I can actually face my emet now, and I am living life, where I was not a few months ago. Like others have said, everyone is different-- you mentioned having horrible side effects on Lexapro-- it has been a wonder drug for me. Pristiq made me crazy, lol, but is a wonder drug for others. I take Vistaril for anxiety (up to 4 50 mg. capsules a day). It is non narcotic, which I prefer. I suggest starting with some that are fairly easy to get off of if you find that it's NOT the one for you. Effexor and Pristiq were very difficult FOR ME to come off of... I have tried some SSRIs that weren't that difficult at all. Good luck!! It can be a big help once you find the right match.