Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I ate food that was reheated twice :(

Hi,
    I haven't been on this forum in a while, thinking that I have been doing better with this phobia. But I am afraid I may have, in all "rationality", eaten something that isn't genuinely safe.
    I've been googling facts about eating food reheated more than once, and all the results are giving me an emet's worst nightmare....
    I am trying to seek reassurance that I won't get sick, but fact is, I'm not sure. I was wondering if any of you out there have done a similar thing and came out the other end okay...

Here is what happened:

-Friday night, I cooked a bunch of pieces of chicken so I could add them later to other dishes. After cooking, I put them in the fridge immediately.
    -Saturday morning, I made vegetable stir fry and added the chicken from the night before into the stir fry for lunch. I couldn't finish the dish, so I refrigerated it.
    -Sunday late afternoon (today), I reheated the vegetable stir fry with the already previously reheated chicken, to a WARM (but not hot) temperature and proceeded to eat half of a bowl until I remembered hearing that eating food reheated more than once is harmful. The vegetable part shouldn't be bad, since it was only reheated once. But the chicken.... that was reheated twice. I am really worried and freaked out right now. Maybe it would have been okay if I heated it to a really, really hot temperature, but i didn't because i don't have a microwave and it's difficult reheating on the stove top with the crappy pan I have....

Anyways... has anyone ever done this before?? And if so, were you unaffected by it?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.... :'(
    My YouTube Channel:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Emet Blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: I ate food that was reheated twice :(

I personally have never done it but my friend's mother-in-law never throws any leftovers out, so that means re-heating more than once. I'm not aware of them getting sick.

my husband re-heats food several times......i made him beef stew ( i don't eat meat)......he's reheated it 3 times so far.......

you will be just fine
    how i feel about emet

We have reheated food several times before. Have never gotten sick from it.

I always precook my chicken before cooking it into pasta, stew, stir fry, etc. It gets reheated several times before all the leftovers are gone. You will be fine.

As long as the chicken is cooked, reheating it shouldn't be much of a problem. Especially if it's only a couple days leftover!

It should be safe. I just find that reheating it more than once tends to dry the food out, not a danger.

Ive done this loads of times and never been ill with it. Mind you, I could eat a dead rat that had been festering behind the washer for 3 months and still be fine. Anywho, I think you ll be fine. The worst youll feel is ill with nerves from worrying about it, which is the plague of us E-phobes!

Ive done my basic food hygiene certificate and you should only reheat once really, and you should heat til its proper hot, but I wouldnt worry about it. If its been refrigerated well in between rather than left out, and you only cooked it friday then ate it sunday, its not like you left it a week which would be dodgy!

You must always cook chicken really well as it can have salmonella inherent in its flesh (due to how theyre intensively raised more often than not, its just bred into them!). I always cool outside the fridge after cooking, in the coolest part of the kitchen (ie not left next to a warm oven or in direct sunlight) then put in the fridge when its cool enough, as you can raise the temperature of your fridge therefore raising the temp of the other things in there momentarily if you put something in it too hot or too big, so it takes ages to cool warming everything else in the process.

You should only do one process once. Ie if you bought meat that was defrosted, dont refreeze it. If you need to use it later, cook it then freeze it. Ie if you bought something fresh then froze it raw, then defrosted it and realised you didnt need it yet, dont refreeze it. If you defrosted raw meat then cooked it and had some left you can re heat once (Technically!). Or if its defrosted raw, then you cooked it and cooled it, you can freeze it then defrost it and reheat it and eat it. As youve only done each process (ie freezing, defrosting, cooking/reheating) once after each time the food "changed" ie, was cooked!

NB watch out for rice. Ive only kept rice for about one day after putting some spare in the fridge. Rice is bad for getting a salmonella bloom on it after cooking it. We have again frozen spare cooked rice and then defrosted and used it loads, It works rather well. But I wouldnt defrost it, warm it, then cool it and reheat it again.

I ate some margarine that had been in the fridge at work for 3 years and endured a fridge power cut. I didnt know it was that old at the time, I just "borrowed" some for my baked potato, and it had a weird skin on it and tasted of smoke. Thats when i started asking the question about who's marg this was and realised how ancient it was). I had to eat around it (I was starving!) and was worried it would do something bad to me , but it didnt. I also ate some chocolate mousse my boyf made with egg whites that I think had been in the fridge for about 4 weeks and was worried I would get ill (I didnt realise hed used them - i forgot they were in there! til he told me how hed made it and id already ate it then!) but I was fine. We're all different though, some folks on here seem to have other IBS related symptoms and have to manage what their systems will take a bit more carefully. If you know yourself to be pretty robust like me, im sure youll be just fine. But I tell you what, dont sit around worrying about it and considering how your tummy feels all the time or your nerves will make you feel bad! Just relax! - And keep us posted of how you get on!
    XXX Clare XXX