Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Routine is my bf!

I get very uncomfortable with changes in my routine and with being away from home for too long, and find it extremely stressful knowing that there is an upcoming event I have to attend, especially after midday. Are you a stickler for routine or do you go with the flow? I'm guessing we're all routine junkies....
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Default Re: Routine is my bf!

Yes, I am like that too. I especially hate last minutes in change. I need to know ahead of time or it sets off the anxiety. If I have an upcoming event I always worry
    that someone will get sick while I am there. Once there sometimes I can't wait to leave! Partially because I am not good socially and of course the emet too.

I am the opposite because if i try to plan something I'm afraid illness will screw it up. I have little daily routines but they are more habits without thinking.

I'm a mixture. Part routine part last minute. I don't like to plan to far ahead in case Im ill. But at the same time I like to know what I'm doing. I don't like surprises but will make last minute decisions to travel for 2 hours by public transport to see my mum. I use to be very OCD about routine but nothing is perfect so I stopped trying to stick to it.

I am very routine! Partly because being a single working mom I have to be, but also because changes throw me off and make me crazy! I am not good at spontaneous things as they make me very nervous!

Routine is my bf too, i used to feel anxiety when i have to commit a change but now i have anxiety 24hrs a day even if I'm in my comfort zone, so its very hard for me to break that routine since i cant do anything now and always tired!
    I wish u the best and hope u get to break this routine, find fun stuff to do before u become like me lol
    Gd luck!

Hmmm, I have been thinking about this and am just not sure! I'm very routine with certain things, like my food, for example, or my work outs. I freak out, though, planning things in advance, because like others have said, fear of me or my family being sick or letting someone down if I'm having a "panicky" moment. Plus, if I commit to something, I totally stress about it beforehand-- when it comes to social things, I suppose I'm better being spontaneous. I start feeling restless and "unfulfilled" when I find myself in a Groundhog Day situation... Like, I'm just going through the motions? Interesting question, though. I'm going to have to reflect on it a bit more

I've just figured out where the OCD stuff comes from! Our son recently had some bad news re his health, and within days I was more anxious, and if I look back, some compulsive habits turned up around then. When my Mum got sick, I immediately adopted a new routine, which was actually a bunch of new compulsions, and when my daughter fell ill two days ago, I was actually aware of doing it, it was a question of making a new set of rules (added to the compulsions I have.) to keep us all safe. Crazy really! I wonder how much of each day is taken up with these routines...I hadn't eve realized what they were until I came on here!

Facebook Donna Mutch

I'm kind of both....I do suffer from panic disorder/agoraphobia so I really have trouble going far/long from home, I have certain places where I go and that's really it.

Now that I'm not working and just watching the baby all day my days are very different, sometimes it's so repetitive and then I just started having obsessive thoughts and things get worse

Socitycourty do you actually enjoy cleaning and making things shiny and ordered? Every time something stressful happens in my life, (anything from a child looking paler than usual to a jet liner landing on our house, I step up my cleaning routine which makes me feel really good because we're safer. All the wee compulsive things I feel I need to do are good, (although time consuming) because they feel like little 'good luck charms'.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Quote Originally Posted by Mamafear View Post
    Socitycourty do you actually enjoy cleaning and making things shiny and ordered? Every time something stressful happens in my life, (anything from a child looking paler than usual to a jet liner landing on our house, I step up my cleaning routine which makes me feel really good because we're safer. All the wee compulsive things I feel I need to do are good, (although time consuming) because they feel like little 'good luck charms'.
    yesssssssss.......me too

I just began the feeling of not wanting to go out of my home. It is terrible. I have never had this before a trauma I had last year. I understand the not wanting to go far from home and break in the routine. This is the first time in my 49 years that I have had severe panic and emetophobia that is disabling me. I am happy that I found this site. I was beginning to feel isolated.

Mamafear, I love making things clean and shiny and orderly... I have decided that my mind feels calmer when my surroundings are in order . And hershegal, I can totally empathize. I was like that in December and January and the early part of Feb. Basically agoraphobic for the first time in 31 years. It was awful. I figured out that a new medicine was contributing to it, as well as the "sickness season" and holidays. I rode it out with the support of family and here, on the boards. I also changed Meds, which has helped a lot. I'm going out & about again and living "normally," but still following my rituals...

For those of you that like to make things clean and shiny...oh, please come to my house. Hahahaha!!!! I get OCD about stuff being in order, but I rarely have time to clean. With four children, a full-time job, being in recovery, and JUST DAILY LIFE, I strive for routine, although usually feels like I'm chasing my tail in circles! LOL!