Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Had my drink spiked...

A couple of months ago I went out on the town for a birthday party. I drink little and rarely, I had 2 single vodka lemonades but the second took a while getting to me from the bar.

Long story short I was incapacitated and extremely ill. I was ill about 4 times but I only remember the one time before my friend put me in a taxi, each time I was ill I've been told it was black.
    I'm now terrified of drinking alcohol in public, I didn't leave my drink anywhere unattended. It was a very upsetting and traumatic experience, I couldn't stand let alone walk and had to crawl from the taxi upstairs to my bed. I was perfectly fine the next day but looking back and knowing I had been ill really upset me, but at the time because I was so out of it I wasn't my usual panicky self. Typically if anyone including me was even nauseous I'd be a shaky, jumpy mess.

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them before? I'm due to be going out again this weekend and I'm frightened it could happen again...

Default Re: Had my drink spiked...

Hi i never had a drink spiked but when i was 16 i met a guy who gave me a joint laced with pcp( angel dust) and i didt know. It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. I smoked it and felt like i was not in my body. Everything looked strange and i started to panic. Long story short, i was raped and couldnt fight back. I didnt smoke a joint again till i was 25. My advice is get your ien drinks from the bar, watch them being made, dont take your eyes off of it! Im 35 now and have not had a problem since that time. Go and have fun but watch you drink!
    We are each our own devil and we make this world our own hell - oscar wilde

What kind of place are you going to go? I think it would be good to go to a place that has a good reputation, but I think heavily crowded clubs where you can be easily distracted and where there's lot of young partiers predatory people might want to target can be sometimes dangerous too. I'd suggest some maybe smaller place, where there isn't too many people but which is "popular" enough in sense that it most likely has a good reputation and there's no shady bartenders.

And this time too is important to never let your drink unattended, and if someone offers you a drink only accept it if you have seen it being made and can have it straight from the bartender. Actually it's good to accept only drinks you have seen being made, so because of this too it's good idea to go to some not-so-crowded place where there isn't too many people at the bar and they won't distract you from keeping an eye to the bartender.

Also preventing from being sick from drinking in general, if you drink rarely then it's good idea to keep your drinking in minimum and not drinking heavy stuff (like anything with 30%-50% alcohol) because your body most likely isn't used to lots of amounts of strong alcohol. And you can have a glass of water between the alcoholic drinks to prevent the hang over. And it's a good idea to have a good dinner the day you're drinking, because alcohol can irritate empty stomach. You can have something little to snack while drinking too, because the food in your tummy prevents you becoming too drunk and it slows the process.

I don't know if you're a smoker, but smoking while drinking can make you feel ill easily and it might cause you a hangover. So if you smoke I'd suggest you to keep it to a minimum.

If you're feeling hangoversih, have something cold to drink, just plain water is fine too but I've liked to drink coca-cola when I've had a hang over. Popcicles and ice cream have helped me before too. Eating something too helps.

But most of all, remember to have fun. Even though it's good to stay on guard don't be too scared, and enjoy your night.

I tend not to get hangovers as such, I wake up the next morning feeling very hungry even though I usually eat a hearty meal before going out.
    Everyone got separated as it was busy last time so I'll be sure to keep someone with me and keep my eyes on my drink!

Thanks for your help guys I feel better about going out now

As for the ice pop trick I will bear that in mind, sounds nice!

I had that happen during my senior trip in high school. Long story short, my art teacher at the time was at the beach the same time us seniors were and invited us to come and drink at his hotel. Several of us had our drinks "roofied," and no one has any recollection of the night. Luckily I had my best guy friend there to help me, and I only woke up with a black eye-- who knows from what. It was scary as hell (the teacher came back and "resigned"). After that, I always watched my drinks and never had another problem with it. Extra vigilance is key!

Wow, Jennjt that's scary that it was a teacher!? Did anyone report him??

Hangover is caused by taking excess amount of alcohol...this caused damages to different body parts and dehydrate the body...so to overcome this you must take water in excess amount with some vitamins and a heavy meal..hot shower also works to relax the body..

No, I don't think I've ever had that happen. But I was hitting bars back in the 80s and early 90s. It may have been less common then. I'm so sorry that happened to you. *hugs*

I've been roofied twice. It's definitely gotten more common recently. Once was from my friend's friend, and the other time was at a bar :/ I did not get sick from them but it was definitely scary, and I felt AWFUL the next day. It was like I had to detox. The first time my friend got me out and I went home and just slept. This past time had a lot of blank spots, my friends didn't notice I was not ok for a while so I went with them to a random person's house (probably who roofied me). Long story short I woke up with huge bruises all over my right side, so I think I was slammed against the wall. But, I was ok.

Anyway, I can tell you in my experience that this doesn't happen a lot. Some tips: Never accept a drink from anybody unless its a trusted friend. I also try to go to the bar to order my drinks, and I watch them being made. I also try to get a female bartender. I know that's odd, but I feel like they'd be less likely to be "in on" a plan to roofie somebody. My mistake this past weekend was I got too drunk and ordered at my table instead of going to the bar, so who knows who made it or could have slipped something into it on its way to my table. I also put it down on my table and didn't watch it. You should always always hold or have your eye on your drink.

Don't be wary about going out, just stay vigilant to stay safe I hope you are feeling better!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!