Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Noro Virus has hit my family!

My son who is 5 v* monday night like 3-4 times. I sat in my room with the door closed while my husband attended to my son while he dragged him out of his bed and into the bathroom. he was v* in the bathroom and in the tub. After i had my husband quarintine him to his room with a bucket. My son slept the rest of the night and seemed fine in the morning. I didnt want to take any chances so we kept him locked up in his bedroom until friday. my husband convinced me it was something he ate. On saturday my husband gets a call from our 14 year old that our 2 year V* while we are at wal-mart . I had major anxiety and started to flip out over this in the store with my husband. I said OMG! it was contagious! so we go home and i sit in the car and he goes inside and all i hear are screams from my 2 year old and my 14 year old yelling and my 5 year old yelling. I was so horrified.. i had always imagined this happening because i had kids.. but i never knew it would really happen. My husband gathers like 5 days worth of clothes for me into a bag and tells me to go stay with my mom. Now me and my mom havent been on speaking terms the last 4 months so the last time i saw her was first week in january (there is a long story to that too) mind you my mom has always been my support for this, so i show up to find her skin and bones and hardly awake and her memory is gone. She has cancer and i was never informed because she asked my step dad not to tell me. Because of the shape she is in she cant keep food down eaither(so im still not free from the v*) and now i have no support or any one to lean on. My mom has alway come to me where ever i am at and support me and be by my side when i feel nauseous or she takes my kids for me when they get sick and are V*. You can imagine how much anxiety just came flooding in. I look at my mother laying there dying and all i can think of, " is who do i have now?" who is going to help me when i am nauseous.. who is going to talk me down, when what i should be thinking is "OMG i am loosing my mom to cancer"! I talked to my husband everyday and notified me my 14 year old came down with the sickness sunday night with cramping and d* no V*.. he slept the day and felt better monday morning. Last night my husband called me said he was going to go to bed he had a headach and body aches and a cramping stomach too, no D* or V* eaither. my husband text me this morning said he felt good like nothing ever happened, but in the middle of last night he felt a little nauseous. i just need words of encouragement.

Default Re: Noro Virus has hit my family!

That sounds exacty like whatever hit my sister's family. I am not sure if it was noro or not...but I have always read that 90% of svs are noro. My sister also had a headache and body aches with no d or v. Her husband and youngest son just had d. Her daughter v once and had d. Her oldest son had a stomachache, but no d and no v. Weird virus.

I know how hard it can be. I have 3 children also. A 12 year old, 9 year old and 1 year old. We got sick on vacation this summer (at Niagara Falls of all places). I caught it first or I would have been a basketcase. I felt bad b/c I infected everyone else. But, it was hard having 2 kids v'ing at the same time. And my husband and I had it at the same time (I started just a few hours before he did) and it was hard to take care of the baby. My worst nightmare, basically.

I am so sorry about your mom. ((HUGS))

My mom is still with us, but she does not help me out in any way. She is not an emet, but rather a germaphobe, so she does not let me or my kids anywhere near her no matter what we are sick with. So, I am on my own. My husband is not a big help if he is sick too. He can't even stand without v'ing. I am the one who rarely v's so I am the one who takes care of everyone else, even if I am sick. It isn't easy, but when the time comes and you have no other choice, you just do it. You work through your panic and you realize that you can do it.

Stay a few more days with your mom (the time with her will do you good anyway) and then go home armed with gloves and bleach!

Thanks sdd! I actually plan on staying here with my mom for 3 weeks until the virus is no longer Contagious in my family then I'm going in with bleach and gloves. Everyone says this horrible thing happen to my family for a reason because had it not I would not have gone to my moms house and found out everything. I stopped by my house after work to see my kids play in the fenced yard and they could visit me from a distance. I love and miss them so much but this stupid phobia continues to run my life. No matter how mad I get at it I can't seem to face it. I thought all day how this is my chance to face my phobia take care of my mom while she is v* as therapy to over come it, knowing at least its not contagious. I can't even do that. I feel I owe it to her since she did it for me all my life and for my kids.. and still I' can't. I hate it!

I'm so sorry your mom is so sick. And your family is sick as well. Sending healing vibes their way. *hugs*

Oh dear. Well, I think it was good that your husband let you go and stay somewhere else so he could handle the kids. I hope they are feeling better!

As for your mother I am so sorry that she is ill. I'll give you an e-hug

Thank you grace47.

Thanks kinetic, she has lung cancer. Even though we butt heads so much I could always call on her or talk to her when I was having phobia issues and she would come talk me down make me feel better. I feel lost. Yeah my husband is pretty awesome for doing that for me... but its tooken 7 yes for him to finally understand and many fights over this phobia. When it comes to verbal support he sucks..LOL that's why my mom was great.

Sweetie, first and foremost, don't beat yourself up, this is not the time to do that. Your husband is an angel and obviously loves you alot. This time with your Mum is a gift. You need to sit down with her and tell her that you're struggling desperately not to be scared of her being sick, but that you just can't beat it, then talk to her, tell her memories of your life together, all of them. Tell her that you're thankful for her support through your phobia. Rub her hands, mop her brow or find some other way to comfort her with touch, (my godmother works in hospice and touch is very very beneficial, bringing pulse and blood pressure down and all the good stuff (seratonin, endorphins etc) up. Do your best to do with your hands and voice for her as she did as a mother for you. As you go, if you are struggling, tell her and you can both laugh. Every night, call your man and tell him you love him, andl tell him at least once, why. You are going to be both stronger, and more at peace when she does go. And remember, go easy on yourself we're here when you need to talk. My thoughts are with you. Xx
    Last edited by Mamafear; 03-13-2013 at 02:59 AM.
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

noro is really bad this year for some reason. it hit our house hard too in december. also almost everyone we know has had it 2 or more times this winter.

Thanks for all the support. I am amazed how some of you are able to deal with kids getting it and yourselves. I had it when I was 7 and once when I was 25 because my oldest brought it home, when thar happened I called around to er who had the shortest wait and went and got in fairly quickly and had them hook me up to an IV for anti- nausea meds straight to the veins. I also had my mom and a really caring nurse who helped me through it too. How do you cope. I have been trying to research how to get a hold of the new Clorox hydrogen peroxide cleaner so I can clean my house in 3 weeks when I plan to go back.