Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Why does the SV* always hit late at night??

From what I've heard & experienced, the SV* (noro or the others) tend to hit in the middle of the night or very early morning. (I haven't had one since I was very young).. but why is this?! It seems that people never get the sudden urge to V* during the day. They're always getting up out of bed to be sick.

Anyone else wondering this, or is it just me? Anyone know why this is the case?

Default Re: Why does the SV* always hit late at night??

I have always thought this to! I always thought maybe because the body is relaxed so when its tired the body would have to fight harder to stop yourself being poorly..? Im not sure though, but it is true.

I've always had this problem too, except for my last sickness hit me around 6pm. I think it has a lot to do with the timing and the incubation period.. 24-48 hours after exposure. You don't get exposed lying in bed the night before, right?! It's usually during the day. I think that's how most end up hitting in the middle of the night because of that time window.

Maybe. Haha I'm not too sure! Makes for some crazy anxiety though... never knowing what may happen in the middle of the night and if you do wake up, you freak out even if it's not because you are sick. Bleh
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost

Don't let anxiety win.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is why I never sleep I think somewhere in my brain I think if I don't sleep I will be okay, which is not true because then Im up all night thinking what if what if.

I think it might have to do with timing and exposure but I took a brain and behavior class and we were talking about sleep cycles and my professor said that when you're sleeping your immune system goes down..I guess it sort of relaxes like the rest of your body. She mentioned how that's why a lot of kids have asthma attacks during the night so I wonder if that is why most people get sick in the middle of the night

Its the same with a lot of things though! When you have a cold/flu or infection, you start to feel better during the day then when its night time you feel really rough again! So I think it is your body shutting off as its tired which makes our immune systems weaker.

I wish it didn't hit in the middle of the night.. I fear it because I feel alone if I wake up sick. Like no one is able to help me.. but I also wish it didn't hit in the middle of the day when I'm out doing something. In public is way worse than in my bedroom!

Actually, I wish it never hit at all. :P
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost

Don't let anxiety win.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It does seem to work that way! Even with colds, I generally like woke up with a sore throat or sniffles. Although last spring, I did randomly develop a sore throat in the afternoon, which then turned into a nasty cough. But yeah, in general, for all sicknesses, I think that being asleep has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley26 View Post
    I think it might have to do with timing and exposure but I took a brain and behavior class and we were talking about sleep cycles and my professor said that when you're sleeping your immune system goes down..I guess it sort of relaxes like the rest of your body. She mentioned how that's why a lot of kids have asthma attacks during the night so I wonder if that is why most people get sick in the middle of the night

That seems to make sense! It makes me nervous to fall asleep sometimes, but I'd rather it not hit in the middle of the day while I'm out in public.

I disagree with the theory that the immune system slows down during sleep. When we are sick, sleep and rest help us get better. Actually lack of sleep weakens the immune
    system. If I don't get enough sleep I don't feel well at all. As for coming down with sv at night, I have no idea. The last time I came down with a sv it was when I was overtired
    from working 14 days in a row without a day off. Of course now I get worried when I am not getting enough sleep.

Realdeal, that was my experience, too... I always hear about it at night, especially with kids, but when I had it, I started feeling icky at about 6, d* at 7ish, then v* within the hour. My mom's last sv* hit her in the middle of the afternoon, too, which blew my "theory" out of the water. I think, though, a majority hits at night like everyone has said-- because of the incubation period / time frame.

I feel like it doesn't have anything to do with the incubation period. The incubation period for noro is 12 - 72 hours, so it could start showing symptoms at literally any hour after 12. It's not like it waits until the 24th, 36th, or 48th hour and decides it's time to make you v* now. You know? It could be any time. But its almost always night!

As a kid all my sv's started in the middle of the night with d or v. I usually woke up and v'd a few times, went back to sleep, woke up in the morning with d for half a day, then slept again. Now as an adult it almost always starts in the the mid-morning. I wake up with a sick stomach, and by 10-11am I start having d and fever, and by night I am somewhat better.

When I've had the SV* (about 4 times in my life) it always struck me around 6 - 8 PM time for some strange reason.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

I've thought this too! I've even taken medications to put myself to sleep because I'm afraid ill wake up to get sick if I dont