Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Having Surgery on Tuesday...

Hello, on tuesday morning I'm having a ganglion cyst on my ankle removed. I learned that I'm going to have to be under general anesthesia during the short operation. Of course I was concerned about nausea after the surgery, and when I asked the doctor, his response was "You will probably feel nauseous after the surgery due to your age (teenager) and it's no big deal, just blow it out". After that I was kind of frozen, so I didn't really say anything else. After we left my mom tried to reassure me that her and my dad will be there at the the time of the surgery, and they'll make sure that I get whatever medications I need for nausea. She said that she's never felt sick after surgery, and neither has my dad or brother. I'm still extremely worried about it, and I'm wondering if anyone on here has had some experience with this. Also, they do have antiemetics that they can give you before/after the surgery right?

Default Re: Having Surgery on Tuesday...

Here's the advice I would give:

1. Ask for anti-emetics. Explain your phobia if you have to, they should absolutely be able to write you a prescription for some to take when you wake up.
    2. Don't take painkillers when you've just woken up. Wait until you can eat something before taking them.
    3. Make sure you are well hydrated and eat some crackers or mild food as soon as you feel comfortable doing so after the surgery. The food will not only help any dizziness you may experience, it will help the anesthesia effects wear off and allow you to take your painkillers without side effects.

My experience was a bad one, because I did not do any of those things. I was put under and when I woke up, I was in a lot of pain and took 2 painkillers. I was already slightly dehydrated and ended up v* many times and had to have a prescription for anti-emetic suppositories called in at 2 AM for me. Once I was able to eat and re-hydrate, I was fine. If I hadn't taken the painkillers on an empty stomach and wasn't already dehydrated, I would have been fine.

You will be just fine. Let us know how it goes! Hugs!

Thank you, I will!
    Should I stay hydrated before the surgery?

I would highly recommend it, but if your doctor says to not eat or drink beforehand, obviously listen to them. Just make sure you're well hydrated before you have to stop eating/drinking. Being dehydrated can make you dizzy and feel bad, so making sure you're properly hydrated will eliminate any unnecessary yucky feelings after surgery. Not to say you should be chugging water until it comes out your ears, but drink enough and less caffeine and you should be good

Is there no way that they can do it under local anasthesia?

No, I asked and he said that it has to be done under general anesthesia.

Actually, I read that you usually meet with your anesthesiologist before most surgeries, and discuss your anesthesia. The first time I saw the surgeon he said I will need general anesthesia, but maybe I can ask my anesthesiologist tomorrow if its necessary. It seems a bit silly to knock me out for a minor incision on my ankle. Plus, everytime I hear about a ganglion cyst removal, they're always under local/regional instead of general.

It does seem silly to insist on a general for a minor operation. If I was having it done I might try to make sure they did give me a local, because people do recover better when they aren`t knocked out for surgery, & can often go home the same day.

I've been under twice now and didn't suffer from n on either of them. As others have said, ask for zofran or something along those lines. It really does help. I had a prescription for a motion sickness patch to put behind my ear on both surgeries and that helped as well. You have to put it on the night before. I think it's called Transcop or something like that.

You'll be okay!