Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default OT: Underatcive Thyroid

Does anyone on here have an underactive thyroid? I went to the dr. a month ago for blood tests for feeling ill all of the time. I thought it would come back overactive if anything because i was having those symptoms. I am quite surprised it came back underactive. He said it was only slightly abnormal and i have to have another test in a month to see where to go from there. Thing is i've heard bad things about the tablets they put you on - that they make you gain alot of weight and make loosing weight almost impossible. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Default Re: OT: Underatcive Thyroid

I had exactly the same thing some years back, the doctor told me that mt TSH levels were higher than normal, but as I didn`t have any obvious symptoms he thought it best to moniter things & see how it went. A while ago my cholesterol levels were found to be raised, & as this is often caused by an underactive thyroid, I was put on 25mg of Levothyroxine, & told to come back & be tested in 3 months time. I did, & the doctor said that I needed more thyroxine, so my dose has been raised to 50 mg, & Iv`e been told to come back to be tested again in May. I don`t feel radically different on the medication, but I think that Iv`e lost some weight, & I walk a bit faster these days. The only thing I`m worried about is that Levothyroxine might raise my anxiety levels, that I don`t need.

ii had hyperthroidism as a teenager, had a partial thyroidectomy at 21 and at 45 was diagnosed as hypothyroid..underactive.....i have been on 125 levothyroxine for several years now. i've never ever had any side effects from it.....except for a little weight loss which i enjoy..i'm not nearly as fatigued as before but not anxious.....so don't worry about that. don't get frustrated.....you may have to try several different doses until you are regulated. it's not a bad thing
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If it's underactive, thyroid medicine should actually help you lose weight.

My mom has an under active thyroid and she is on medication for it. Weight loss has been an issue for her unfortunately . Se eat like a bird too sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you may not have that issue because everyone is diff and reacts to meds diff

an underactive thyroid causes your metabolism to be slow which means weight gain is more apt to happen......getting on the correct dosage to bring you thyroid to the correct level should cause your metabolism to quicken a bit which should result in some weight loss........unless of course you tend to eat junk food or high calorie foods and sweets all the time
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.