Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Stomach pains. Please help!

I've had stomach pains every night this past week causing me to feel nauseous. At first I thought it may have been psychological, but the pains just get worse. It mainly occurs at night or just before bed time and continues all night. Thanks to my phobia, I can't sleep. All I can think about is throwing up and therefore spend many hours in the bathroom shaking and crying. Twice I've had diarrhoea. Unlike most people I can't stay in my bed if I feel poorly, or even in my room for that matter, but sometimes I have too. I've had as much as 4 hours of sleep per night at the most. Its ruining my sleep pattern and I'm not eating much during the day now thinking about it. I often have nights where I feel like this but I could have one night of feeling sick/diarrhoea and I could go for weeks without it happening again. But lately its every night and because of not eating properly I'm dropping more weight which I can't afford to do as I weigh 6.7 stone/43kg. Its getting to a point where I just can't take any more. Any help and advice will much appreciated!

Default Re: Stomach pains. Please help!

I'm in that position now, stomach pains and feel really sick so i feel your pain! Your just having a rough patch so don't worry you'll go back to normal in no time! Try gradually building up what you eat with really bland food like toast and potatoes and before you know it you'll be eating again, and like you say the fact that your not eating is probably the reason it's carried on so long!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

I went through something like this a few weeks ago. My anxiety about V* was getting out of control to the point where I felt lightheaded all the time.. plus I had a bit of a sinus infection. I was so anxious about all of this that I was hardly sleeping and barely ate for 3 days straight. This was making my lightheartedness worse. I was also getting dehydrated from barely drinking water. I thought I was going crazy. I could not sit still. All I could think about was being sick to my stomach or passing out- back and forth back and forth. I eventually went to the doctor and he diagnosed a sinus thing. Once I wrapped my mind around the fact that I had a sinus infection and the rest was anxiety I was able to relax. Gradually my appetite came back and I was back to eating like normal. I still get my little anxiety spells but they pass eventually and I am hungry again. It just takes time- nothing last forever! Feel better soon!!!

Thanks guys! I'm of to see my GP tomorrow and see what he thinks. The last time I visited him with these problems he did a few blood tests but found nothing and so I didn't go back and just accepted the fact that it happens some nights. But its now happening night after night and affecting my health. Could it be something that I'm eating that is causing it? Wheat or dairy maybe? I just hope it stops soon and I can get some sleep and get back to eating normally (well normal for me anyway).