Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Will this ever end?

Okay so you may recognise me, i always disappear for months then suddenly come back to the site and post loads.

I don't know how much longer i can deal with this, whenever i think i'm getting better something happens (Like tonight) and i am RIGHT back to where i started and have to start all over again. It's exhausting, i'm missing so much college so i'll probably fail my exams and not get in to university this year. It's my 18th birthday tomorrow and i'm going to be spending it terrified and uncomfortable in bed. I'm ripping my family apart too, my parents always argue about me and my mum can't deal with me anymore and we are constantly screaming at each other.

I've been doing CBT for 6 months and i've tried hypnotherapy. Nothing is helping me and i'm just about ready to give up!

I'm sorry for posting i just really need to talk to people who understand
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Default Re: Will this ever end?

As far as how your social life has been going, I can completely understand! As a 19 year old college freshman, it's been incredibly difficult for to live a normal college student life because of my emet. I can't go into the dining hall anymore, I don't use the gym, but oddly enough I am excelling with classes (probably because when I'm not in class, I'm working on something for school!). My parents are also a bit like yours-they're usually arguing over how to handle the situation I'm in/what they can do to make me feel better-I just think it would be hard for any parent to watch their child suffer and know that they can't do anything to help-both my parents are where your Mom is with you as well, they just don't even know how to handle me and this phobia.

I do think there is hope for you (and all of us on here!) to get better. I have been seeing a CBT therapist at school and at home since around November, and haven't really seen a huge improvement-in fact I seem to have gotten even worse than I was in the winter, but I refuse to give up & you should too! We deserve to live normal, healthy, happy lives and I'm sure even though the results aren't phenomenal now, I'm sure with enough treatment you'll be able to overcome this.

Also, happy early birthday!

Jessica keep trying, admit yourself if you have to. Keep experimenting with meds till you find one that helps you. Seek a diff therapist. If CBT did not help try DBT. You will kick emets a.. soon. There was a girl who posted a lot here. A teen. She was upset all the time. I hear she is doing much better today. She has learned how to calm herself when anxiety tries to take over. She has made amazing progress in a few short months. If she can do it, you can too. Life is worth living. HUGS, Happy Birthday
    Last edited by Cynna; 03-26-2013 at 07:06 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I can relate - I'm 26 now, but I went to college, lived in a dorm, and I had horrible horrible anxiety because of my emet. I felt trapped all the time, I worried about roommates getting sick, me getting sick, etc. The norovirus hit our dorm floor one time and tons of girls got it, and I almost died from anxiety. I learned ways to calm myself a bit, and go to my happy place. I put on TV shows, went for walk in the fresh air, found out of the way places to sit and hide with my computer. Find what can help you calm down, and try to realize, you won't be in college forever! I'm now married with kiddos, and living in my own house, not a dorm, has helped SO much! (except when my kids get sick!) Do what you need to do to get yourself through these years. I turned down so many social gatherings and opportunities to do fun activities because of my fear. I wish I didn't have it, but I made it through college, and you can to!