Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anyone in exposure therapy?

I'm pretty far in to my CBT treatment and each day I have to go to a website. There are a range of exposures that I have to look at and or listen to. I just listened to a recording now. I've seen some changes in my reaction already. Instead is shaking and freaking out I am just really grossed out. I'm not angry at everyone all the time. I used to fight instead of my usual flight response. Now I'm anxious. That anxiety I work on with breathing, homeopathic remedies and meditation. I still hate the sounds I must listen to. I am still nervous about it happening I expectantly. But the weird thing is that if I'm anxious and I do my exposure I feel better. I can see what I'm scared of and I'm in control.
    Any one else out there tried exposure therapy? I curious of your experiences.

Default Re: Anyone in exposure therapy?

I'm currently doing it. First, she told me to get on my knees and spit into the toilet to recreate the v* sense. That was fine so next we looked at pictures. That was also easy so then we watched videos. It was semi-nerve racking. She got more bothered by it than i did lol. Right now I'm fine so were holding off on the exposure therapy.
    Last edited by Elie; 04-03-2013 at 11:26 AM.

I'm gonna be starting desistization therapy with my therapist once I'm stable on my meds. I think we're starting April 12th.

I've been "doing" it for almost 2 years now. It's exposure therapy for OCD, but it all revolves around my emetophobia. I started off in group exposure therapy, where we were alot of people who had different types of OCD, actually met my first emet there. All together I've been involved in 3-4 exposure groups. Since then I have gotten alot better, but let me say my OCD and phobia was pretty bad at the point I started this journey. I couldnt do anything. Didn't eat, didn't go out, didn't take the bus etc. I just isolated myself and didn't even trust my self to make my own food.

Now I've been "off" the treatment for almost 7 months, but I have been offered intensive exposure therapy this summer. People with OCD from all over the country is going to be in a in-patient treatment over 3-4 weeks. I'm really nervous about it. I've talked to my therapist about it, and it will most likely get to a point where I'll have to take those meds that will make you v*. It sounds brutal and it probably will be, but I trust them to know what's best. And if anyone want to know how it goes I will def keep you updated.

I understand how exposure therapy can help you get over the fear of other people vomiting, but can someone please explain how it helps stop the fear of you yourself vomiting?
    EmetophobiaHelpline.com

Quote Originally Posted by chris_alice View Post
    I understand how exposure therapy can help you get over the fear of other people vomiting, but can someone please explain how it helps stop the fear of you yourself vomiting?
    I wonder this as well.

Today when I did my exposure I was in the bathroom. I wasn't quite ready to lean over the loo and pretend. That was too much. However when I listen to sounds or look at photos I imagine myself in the situation. "What I'd it was me?" It's part of the exposure. I have had to imagine my husband, kids and myself in place of every subject. I also have to look at safety behaviours I have practice to avoid being ill myself. Mine is drinking flat coke. Now I will start doing the exposure in the loo because I feel more terrified in there to even think of my fear.

That's coming up. Are you ok? How are doing on your meds? Are they helping?

Thats good! the more you do this, the easier it will become.

I'm not in cbt anymore I don't have insurance but I remember my therapist saying that visualization is very effective. Get very comfy in a safe quiet place and close your eyes... Visualize yourself feeling ill, walking over to the loo, the feelings, sights, sounds, tastes you might experience, (which the exposure therapy may help you to do) and then visualize getting sick and then what would happen afterwards. Flushing, sip of water, how you feel, etc. Choose to be calm and level headed in your visualization and do it over and over. I'm very anxious of seeing/hearing others and of myself so I should really work on doing these things again. It's a lot of work and makes me very anxious though! With full time work and school it's easier to avoid it! But I should put some time into it.
    Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. -Isaiah 41:10

This is beautiful and so helpful. "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. -Isaiah 41:10"

i like your visualisation idea. The idea is that it's not easy. I wish there was a way to take a pill and the phobia just be GONE! I wish I could just be able to relax and not be so afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_alice View Post
    I have always wondered this myself. Would have to expose yourself to the act i.e. make yourself *v in order for it to be effective. Although saying that I would LOVE to not be scared of other people *ving and think it would be much easier to handle if I was just afraid to *v myself. I would give anything to be able to help people when they are sick, be able to comfort them etc.

Sounds like yours is working for you though and should get better and better the more you continue on with it. Good for you.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

Greta - thank you, it's one of my favorite verses! And I completely agree, I wish I could take a crazy pill and make it go away! Some days I can rationalize and think, "okay, not really that big of a deal, I could deal with it..." But then turn around and instantaneously freak out if I hear an inkling of someone having a stomach ache! Sooo frustrating!!!
    Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. -Isaiah 41:10