Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default motion sickness prevention tips???

i was never usually prone to car sickness, but lately its like i've been more in tune with my stomach while I'm in cars. I am usually fine, and I know it is just anxiety, but sometimes I do panic and start feeling like I'm going to v*. I am going to be in the car for an hour tonight, the traffic should be fine, and it should be a very smooth ride...however, I might freak myself out to the point where I feel sick. I took a 24 hour dramamine at about 10:00 this morning, and I'll be wearing sea bands and listening to my iPod, and sitting in the front seat with the window a little bit open. Is there anything else I can do to prevent motion sickness??? Help

Default Re: motion sickness prevention tips???

Dramamine always helps me and cracking the window with some fresh air. Motion sickness can be awful.....try not to think about it, listen to your iPod, breathe in the fresh air and I'm sure you will be good.

I am the same way! Have never had motion sickness before, but it's like I've "grown into it?" I wonder, too, if it's just emet-anxiety, but I do the Dramamine thing, too, if I need to. I live in the mountains and love to hike and paddle... Unfortunately, to get to hiking trails and river put-ins, we have to drive some WINDY roads. Ugh.
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne

You know what I just thought about? It's a testament to how powerful the mind is... When I was little, my brother got car sick all the time. Like, v* in the back seat, sick. Yuck. My mom got car sick, too, but hers was more dizziness. My dad and I were the ones who never got sick. I remember hearing all the time, "Jennifer and Mike (my dad) can ride any ride and not get sick-- she can even read te whole 2-day trip to Texas." So, I guess I believed it and never worried about it. Dad & I always sat in the back seat on curvy roads while mom drove and my brother sat up front. Now that I THINK about it, I FEEL sick. This shit is insane!
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne

Peppermint gum and a breeze on my face works wonders for me. No worries, you sound like you are well prepared and will be fine!

would it help to put my hand against the cold window, or hold a cold water bottle? sometimes I find that it helps when I'm feeling nauseous. Also, what if I took a pepto bismol caplet before hand? It isn't really for motion sickness, but it helps nausea. I know that it is mostly because of anxiety, and it is mind over matter, but it is so hard to control the anxiety!!! Especially in a moving vehicle -_- I wish that motion sickness didn't even exist!!!

Sit in the front seat and look forward off in the distance. Ginger helps, Seabands help, sniffing a piece of fresh lemon or lemon oil helps, distraction helps - ie music.
    EmetophobiaHelpline.com