Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Why?????

Default Why?????

I am at work I only work Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. There is a woman behind me talking about how she has had a sv and still does and her whole family has it. Flipping me out. I usually do not sit near her but today I am and I can't move. Why didn't she stay home? Now I am freaking out.

Default Re: Why?????

How close are you? I would try turning away from her and not touching anything she does.

She didn't stay home because she's fine now and needs to work. Had she not mentioned it, or had you not heard it, you would still be as "exposed" as you think you are but you wouldn't be worrying about it and making yourself sick with fear. Right? So the problem is not her coming into work, it's how you're reacting to it.
    EmetophobiaHelpline.com

She left early because she was still v. I feel bad that I get upset. I really don't get mad just very anxious.

Mmm. Read the post above carefully. Another member too scared to panic after being given anything but comfort in her time of need. She said she was still sick and so Ashley, the problem WAS her coming in to work. I think there is a time to ground yourself because you know theres nothing to be rationally worried about, and a time where panic is understandable. This, Ashley, was one of those times. Here if you need support sweetie.

*note, I'm not interested in a long debate about who is right or wrong but the above post, (she feels she has to justify her fear) is really sad to see on a support forum.
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Quote Originally Posted by Mamafear View Post
    Mmm. Read the post above carefully. Another member too scared to panic after being given anything but comfort in her time of need. She said she was still sick and so Ashley, the problem WAS her coming in to work. I think there is a time to ground yourself because you know theres nothing to be rationally worried about, and a time where panic is understandable. This, Ashley, was one of those times. Here if you need support sweetie.

*note, I'm not interested in a long debate about who is right or wrong but the above post, (she feels she has to justify her fear) is really sad to see on a support forum.
    Perhaps if you reread my reply, not only was I supporting her but I was also trying to give her something more rational than her fear to consider. As long as we have emetophobia, the problem for us is always our fear, regardless what inconsiderate thing another person may do, because at the end of the day, people are going to get sick and unless we plan to move to a vomit-free planet or walk around in a hazmat suit, we better learn to get a handle on our fear otherwise WE are going to be the ones that suffer.

Just because I don't give the kind of reply that reinforces the fear, doesn't mean that I'm not sympathetic or supportive. I just don't see how it helps a person who's panicking to tell them they're right to panic. How does that bring their anxiety level down to a more comfortable level?
    EmetophobiaHelpline.com

I agree, mamafear. I have noticed this forum is getting negative and unsupportive. If you don't like what someone posts then ignore it. I am worried this is going to scare new people away or prevent regulars from posting in their time of need. I know I will be careful of what I post from now on.

Oh I see where I'm confused. Support, on this board, means supporting the fear. My apologies.
    EmetophobiaHelpline.com

I'm not after an arguement. I'm simply concerned about the welfare of our lovely members. I saw a reply void of any kindness or smiles, I saw what the result was, I was worried that she felt she had to justify herself right at the exact moment she should have felt calmed by an arm around her, not being told she's being irrational, thats all. : )

Facebook Donna Mutch

chris_alice, I always see you giving all this advice to other members about being rational and how to not let the fear win, yet you're still here, on this forum, talking to all of us every day (which is feeding the fear btw). People who are here aren't looking for a therapist, not the ones that I've talked to anyways. Please take into consideration that sometimes the comments you make come off sounding rude. I agree with mamafear on this one, sorry.

Hey now, you're an emetophobe, you've got your hygeine down! Hoping for you to not have as much anxiety and for your coworker to not come in until she is better.
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

I didn't want to start any trouble. I just started freaking out as soon as I heard her describing the details of everything. Just scary to me. I am ok now. Thank you everyone for your support and kind words!

You didn't start any trouble, please please know that. You got scared, and you came here to us because it's a safe place to be open and honest. So pleased to hear your anxiety has subsided. Xxx

Facebook Donna Mutch

You did not start trouble! Don't think that please! I'm glad you're feeling better now

I just felt bad. I flipped out very quick about it. I didn't have to work today or tomorrow and Saturday she won't be there. I will just be extra cautious with washing my hands and stuff. Thank you!

I'm happy for you having these days off, it will make it all a little less frightening. Maybe the next time you're working, go in a little early and wipe everything down. Hope you have a relaxing few days off! Xx

Facebook Donna Mutch