Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Feeling alone

Default Feeling alone

Hi everybody,

I haven't posted on this in a while, but tonight I really need some support. My sister got sick tonight and as usual i'm freaking out. The worst part is that my family thinks i'm insane. My dad says I need help and that I'm a freak and that it's not "normal" to be scared of V*. My mom says I need to get over myself and that germs are everywhere. It's the worst feeling in the world when people make fun of you for your fears or can't understand why you're afraid. It's even worse when it's your family. I can't help that I'm scared of V*. What am I supposed to do? I've really gotten better at managing my fear but every once in a while i'll have days where I can't handle it. I feel like this phobia ruins me. I don't have any friends really, and the ones that I do have think i'm crazy too. I don't know what to do. I'm only 16 and I honestly can't wait to turn 18 so I can move out of this small house. Another reason i'm an emet- I live in a VERY small house with only 1 working bathroom... literally there's no space for anyone which doesn't help when someone gets sick. I try to manage this fear and most of the time I do, but when I don't, I get so much criticism for it and it just makes me sad.

Sorry rant over lol. Going to hide in my room for about a week until this sickness in my family passes

Default Re: Feeling alone

Alright. The truth is, you need help. Everyone here needs help. I'm 15, I've been in therapy since I was 3 (really) and I've been on meds since I was 8. They help me. I would be dead without them (no joking. I was close to suicide once or twice).

A phobia is a problem. Problems need to be solved. Solve it. Moving out may even trigger your phobia because you won't have anyone to help you during crisis.

I know I wasn't kind, but sometimes people have to face the truth. If even after all I said you are interested, you can add me on facebook to chat about random things.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Smile Re: Feeling alone

I understand completely!!! I get the same feedback from my loved ones. I am almost 33 though lol.. My mom always tells me to just go in the bathroom and get sick so I will feel better that I'm nuts! And she laughs . I truly don't think they understand although she def should since she's told me I have feared this since I was able to know what fear was! She said I even used to be afraid of having diarrhea at a young age and even now I dislike that as well but it's a better than the alternative. If I were you I would talk to them 1 on 1 and at a time when u are calm and can make them truly understand that you need help especially if they cannot help you. At least then you will know you have someone to talk to. YOU ARE NOT ALONE SWEETIE!!! I used to feel the same way and since finding this site I know I'm not. I see people on here that are even worse than me and though it breaks my heart for them, it also gives me hope that maybe I'm doing better. You can always message me if u need to talk. And if you ever get n* from anxiety sit in front of a fan or window, get a cold wash cloth and place it on the back of your neck, and most importantly, BREATHE! The right breathing can help nausea so much! I also pray outloud. I don't know what your beliefs are but this helps me more than you can imagine! I hope this helped some and I hope you know that you are not alone and you are special! You have so much to offer and this phobia doesn't make you a crazy person even though you feel like it is making you crazy sometimes! All my love sweetie xoxo
    Last edited by KTodd; 04-07-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Hello! Sorry your family isn't understanding.
    My parents are extremely supportive of my phobia but they arr the only ones. I'm 20 years old and married so I no longer live at home. When I was younger it was hard for me to make friends. I had to know them for awhile to survey whether or not they got sick often (weird I know). I also had to do that with boys before I could date them! You are most definitely not alone dear. We are all here for you. Feel free to add me on Facebook as well. Just search for Jennifer Parsons location Oklahoma. I would be glad to talk with you any time.

I'm sorry dear. I'm lucky to have supportive parents A
    And boyfriend. But other than that, people mostly think I should get over it.
    You can add me on Facebook as well . Look for midi Byrnedavis in California.

Thank you for your advice! I am starting to realize that is a serious problem I have and that I need help. Actually in the last few years, I've been able to handle my phobia a lot better than when I was a little kid. And don't worry, you were straight up in your reply and I thank you for telling me the truth.

Thank you for your kind words! You have no idea how much it means to me! It's nice to know that I'm not alone, and that this phobia isn't as uncommon as I thought it was! Also, thanks for the nausea tips! I'm not really religious or anything, but when I feel sick I do the same thing and pray out loud too haha. Thank you for helping me feel better about my phobia and for reassuring me that I'm not alone

Quote Originally Posted by jparsons93 View Post
    Hello! Sorry your family isn't understanding.
    My parents are extremely supportive of my phobia but they arr the only ones. I'm 20 years old and married so I no longer live at home. When I was younger it was hard for me to make friends. I had to know them for awhile to survey whether or not they got sick often (weird I know). I also had to do that with boys before I could date them! You are most definitely not alone dear. We are all here for you. Feel free to add me on Facebook as well. Just search for Jennifer Parsons location Oklahoma. I would be glad to talk with you any time.

Thank you for letting me know that I'm not alone And that's not weird that you had to know a person for a while for them to be your friend! Thank you very much, this forum is helping me feel a lot better about myself And I'm glad to hear you have support from your family!

Tangelofo 12... My poor little girl who is 10 is the one with the emetophobia even though I wish it was me. My husband and I have learned a lot about this sickness over the last few months and learned it quickly for she was very very sick. When she first came down with this phobia last yr we too would react pretty much the same as your parents probably are now because we were just so frustrated over it and didn't understand it!!! Please honey know that you are not alone and that things will get better ... Please try and get yourself some help so that you don't have to do it by yourself. Your pediatrician would be a great source of help and maybe try your guidance counselor at school too to give you names of some local counselors you may be able to go to without charge.... you like my daughter are too young to let this run your life. My little one got so afraid of food that I was literally feedin her water off a spoon so she would take in liquids!! This was the nd for me and I need her to regain control of her life just like you need to! Please remain strong! You can pm me anytime honey! Remember your not alone! Hugs an positive thoughts sent your way tonight! May God Bless you!!!!

You are VERY welcome sweetie! And I am here anytime as I'm sure most of the others are as well. Sometimes when I feel really sick and even too n* to type I will log in here and just read some of these posts. It in some way calms me bc I know even though none of you are with me physically, you are very much with me mentally and emotionally. It made my day knowing that my post in some way helped you bc I know exactly how you feel! Feel free to add me on Fb also...Just type in Kristin Jones Todd from Crittenden Ky. All my love! And sweetie NEVER hesitate to seek help even if it is here! That's what we are all here for. P.S. If anyone adds me on Fb, just shoot me a message letting me know you are from here that way I will know and not ignore the request. Thanks a million